Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend places to eat in Cork city?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Going to Cork and would welcome suggestions of places to eat. I love Italian and Indian anything really (if i can eat i have terrible morning sickness but everyone else has to so...). Feel free to recommend must try dishes aswell!

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've plugged the place before but Il Primo is superb. You'll adore the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Food is good in il primo but I had two sauces knocked over me by two different waiters the last time I ate there. One didn't even apologise or get a a cloth for me to clean myself off with...but maybe she got embarrassed as the other 4 people were pissing themselves laughing. Complained at the end and was given a bottle of wine on the house. So mixed experience there really. Food was excellent but service was a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Ludo wrote: »
    Food is good in il primo but I had two sauces knocked over me by two different waiters the last time I ate there. One didn't even apologise or get a a cloth for me to clean myself off with...but maybe she got embarrassed as the other 4 people were pissing themselves laughing. Complained at the end and was given a bottle of wine on the house. So mixed experience there really. Food was excellent but service was a bit disappointing.

How unlucky were you? Two sauces by two different waiters. Id say they had it in for you :D;)

Have only been to IL Primo twice and both times were fantastic, cannot complain about the place at all. Its yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

For Italian, try Il Padrino's on Cook St. I've had a few lovely meals in there.

Market Lane on Oliver Plunkett St has great all round menu and has yet to disappoint me.

For something different, I love Wagamamas on North Main St (has to be no.42 - Yaki Udon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

In fairness il primo is a fair bit out of town. Gonna try the bierhalle tonight myself. Take a look at the thread on that... Sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

theg81der wrote: »
    Going to Cork and would welcome suggestions of places to eat. I love Italian and Indian anything really (if i can eat i have terrible morning sickness but everyone else has to so...). Feel free to recommend must try dishes aswell!

Thanks!:)

Hi
    go to the Strasburg goose on french church st,just off of st paricks st,its fab, check there reviews on tripadvisor, great food at even better prices
    enjoy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Was is Cafe Mexicana on French Church street last night, was really excellent. I have a weakness for Mexican food and this was one of the better one's I've had in Ireland. Mains are about 15-18 quid, but the portions are very big.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd agree with Café Mexicana - great food, and service is fantastic. The Goose is supposedly great, but any time I've gone they've had no tables free , so try to book in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Stay away from Il Padrino - I had pasta there a while back that was so bad I thought it was from one of those Knorr readymix packs that I used to eat as a student. This kind...

Pastaria6.jpg

Liberty Grill is a really nice option, and I've been hearing good things about the Cornstore lately (though I haven't been myself). I also recently ate at the Boardwalk before Christmas and thought it was pretty OK.

The Kudos bar in the Clarion hotel actually does pretty nice noodles & curries (surprisingly so) and Electric has a tapas menu downstairs with restaurant upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hi

Ive mentioned it before on here but one of the better restraunts I have been frequenting lately is LA Dolce Vita, its an italian on proby quay where Probys Bistro/Brick Oven used to be. Really top class pasta, the lasagne is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

RadioClash wrote: »
    Was is Cafe Mexicana on French Church street last night, was really excellent. I have a weakness for Mexican food and this was one of the better one's I've had in Ireland. Mains are about 15-18 quid, but the portions are very big.
    Owen wrote: »
    I'd agree with Café Mexicana - great food, and service is fantastic. The Goose is supposedly great, but any time I've gone they've had no tables free , so try to book in advance!
    I see so many people badmouthing this place, but I love it. The food is tasty, and the portions are big, what else do you want???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Hi
    go to the Strasburg goose on french church st,just off of st paricks st,its fab, check there reviews on tripadvisor, great food at even better prices
    enjoy;)
    Booking is essential. Place is quite small and cosy. Food is excellent. Love the place.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

- Cafe Mexican is fairly pedestrian at this stage - it used be nicer.

- Il Primo is a suburban restaurant and the few times I've been there I've felt it was grand but not overly exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

havent been in mexicana for a year or so,but love the place,aso a nice indian over luigi malones cant think of the name tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was in Cafe Mexicana recently after not being there for a while and I have to say it was very disappointing - not up to scratch at all. It just all seemed extremely rushed like they just heated up the food and threw it on the plate. I won't be going back. Chicken tasted a bit funny too!

Liberty Grill is excellent OP, as is Electric - had a fantastic meal there for our work Christmas night out a few weeks back. :-)

Advertisement