Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Good work pconn. Excellent pace in the early miles there, from the sounds of it, you'd have gone sub 31 on a flatter course.

I'll see you this afternoon. Should be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Chip time: 39:18 (6.18 avg pace)

Good run this, only a second outside my PB from the K club. Only decided to do it this morning as the legs felt good after yesterdays effort and I know the roads inside out. Lined up at 3 and we were off, very quick downhill start and we settled in after half a mile. Was going fairly quick for the first few miles, nearly matching yesterdays opening miles, 6.09, 6.08.
    Made it to halfway @ 19.40 where my family were waiting for me and I was feeling OK, maybe the breathing was a bit heavier than I would have liked. Time to dig in and get home, I knew the hardest part of the course was yet to come. The group was very spread out and was running on my own most of the time, occasionally picking off a runner. At about 7.5k we hit the hills and it started to hurt, the pace slowed a bit and the breathing went mad. I was closing in on another fellow and we stuck together for a while. 8.5km another hill, not as bad this time but the legs were screaming. Passed out the other guy at 9k and up the final hill back into the village. Some guy cruised by me here, absolutely flying and I glanced at the watch and thought I might squeeze a PB but I left it too late, probably should have checked it earlier. :o Crossed the line in 12th place out of 430 after being in about 20th after a mile, so a good effort. Sub 39 is a definite goal for the race series 10k.
    Very happy with that effort, maintained the same avg pace as yesterday which shows how tough yesterdays course was. Nice race, nice route, only problem was the price, 22 euro and 27 on the day which is too steep in my opinion. Only for it was my local race I would have skipped it. Legs are sore now so looking forward to a rest day tomorrow.

MYTD: 729.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Fair play to ya pconn. Those last couple of miles were a bit of a killer, but a hell of a lot easier than last year. I'm with ya on the price, way too steep. I could be doing without another superhero T-shirt and another fiver in the pocket, but I suppose it's good supporting the local races. Best of luck with your training and racing over the next while.

Fair play to ya pconn. Those last couple of miles were a bit of a killer, but a hell of a lot easier than last year. I'm with ya on the price, way too steep. I could be doing without another superhero T-shirt and another fiver in the pocket, but I suppose it's good supporting the local races. Best of luck with your training and racing over the next while.

Cheers RFR, nice PB yourself today, hopefully they consider the price next year as it's a good race and I would do it again. Enjoy the Gaeltacht and we'll get out for a few runs in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I ran that race as well, last years one was my first race, my god it was so much easier this year! starting and finishing downhill was a blessing!!

• Advertisement

Rossin wrote: »
    I ran that race as well, last years one was my first race, my god it was so much easier this year! starting and finishing downhill was a blessing!!

Yeah it was a nice course alright Rossin, nice to get a good stretch of downhill running at the end. How'd you fair yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

42.25, just about beat my pb from the boyne 10k which was 42.40. Then before that the only race id done was last years clogher 10k which I got 48min but didnt run again until this year, I think it scared me! getting into it now though. I felt fine after this race where as I nearly died after the boyne one even though this course was harder. Just paced myself better. I loved how they had the balloons at the start so people knew where to stand. I almost trampled a few walkers at the boyne 10k!

fingal next I reckon, then maybe ardee or annagasson

Rossin wrote: »
    42.25, just about beat my pb from the boyne 10k which was 42.40. Then before that the only race id done was last years clogher 10k which I got 48min but didnt run again until this year, I think it scared me! getting into it now though. I felt fine after this race where as I nearly died after the boyne one even though this course was harder. Just paced myself better. I loved how they had the balloons at the start so people knew where to stand. I almost trampled a few walkers at the boyne 10k!

fingal next I reckon, then maybe ardee or annagasson

Annagassan is a good course, very flat and if the wind plays ball a good time is a cert. Sub 40 is probably the next target? I ran 43.54 in Annagassan last year, the 41.10 on New Years Day in Monaghan then my first sub 40 was at the K club 10k in April, 39.17. No reason you can't go sub 40 before the end of the year if you get the training done. Good Luck.

5.5 miles, 43:18, 7.48

Disgustingly miserable run this evening. This was supposed to be an easy run but the weather insured that there was nothing easy about it, it was lashing! I was absolutely soaked after 5 minutes and forgot to eat before hand so I got a little light headed after 3 mile and had to stop for a few secs to steady myself. Started again at a slower pace and dragged my miserable self home. Still miles in the bank I suppose. I usually do a session on a Tuesday but decided I'll just do one this week at the club on Thursday, I feel I need an easier week after the two races at the weekend. Also the cough I picked up around the Dundalk 1/2 in May seems to be coming back a touch, and I'm not feeling 100%, better safe than sorry.

MYTD: 935

6.5 miles

30 minute tempo- 4.3 miles
    Splits: 6.58, 6.51, 6.45, 6.36, 6.48 for .3

Into the club for group training tonight so we did a bit of a tempo run. Splits are a wee bit slow but we were just enjoying the company and chatting the whole way round. Enjoying the (rare) nice weather as well. Think I'm going to head the track tomorrow and do some sort of session, not sure what I'll do yet, either kilometre or mile repeats I'd say. The next race is the Fingal 10k and I want sub 39 so that is in the back of my mind for the next two weeks.

MYTD: 941.5

• Advertisement

6 miles,

Session: 1 mile WU, 5x800, 1 mile WD off 90 sec recovery
    Splits: 2.47. 2.48, 2.49, 2.48, 2.52

Headed into the club for this, had planned on doing 1k repeats but everyone was doing 800's so I jumped in with them. I was working hard the whole way through, still a bit of fatigue in the legs after the two races at the weekend and the heat was an issue as well. Still fairly happy overall, fairly consistent until the last one which slipped a bit. Just easy running now for the rest of the week and will do a longer one at the weekend. Will get two good sessions done next week hopefully to set me up for a crack at sub 39 in the race series 10k.

MYTD: 947.5

4.5 miles, 40:37, 8.47 avg pace

Nice easy recovery run this evening, during which it was warm, humid, windy, raining, foggy, misty all in the space of forty minutes! Only in Ireland!

MYTD: 952

5.5 miles, 42:41, 7.40 avg pace

Just another easy run this evening, done this time in much more favourable weather conditions, lovely and warm out there. Going to do something a bit longer in the morning, 10-12 miles, have to be back in time to watch the tennis! :)

MYTD: 957.5

10 mile, 1:21:50, 8.10 avg pace

"Long run" this morning, had intended on doing a few mile more but the stomach was cramping a bit which was uncomfortable so I made a turn for home. Nice morning for it though and the miles flew by. Rest day tomorrow, settling in now to watch the Wimbledon final! Oh can anyone recommend somewhere to buy running shorts at a reasonable price? Desperately need a few new pairs but some of the prices I have seen are hugely expensive! Online or shop in Louth/Northside Dublin area.

MYTD: 967.5

8 miles

Session: 1x2 mile, 2x1 mile, 1x2 mile @ 10k pace

Splits: 1 mile WU, 2 mile: 12:28 (6:12, 6:17), 2x1 mile (6:14, 6:14), 2 mile 12:29 (6:08, 6:22) 6:14 avg. pace

Normally take Mondays as a rest day but could have a very long day tomorrow so decided to head to the track and get this out of the way today and take a rest day tomorrow instead. Plan was to do the second session again from MCMillans best 10k workouts which is 2x1 and 4x1 mile @10k pace. Really wanted this to go well before the Fingal 10k in less than two weeks where I want to have a good crack at sub 39. Didn't have a pace in mind, just wanted to run by feel and at race effort. First 2 mile block was tough, pace was a bit up and down and didn't really settle till the second mile, effort was quite high. 5 mins active recovery then the next two miles went better, felt good and was holding the pace well, three mins recovery between the miles. After the fourth mile I was feeling good so I decided to do another 2 mile block as opposed to two single miles. Felt really strong on this even though the pace slipped a little on the last mile, I was very happy overall with the session. A real confidence booster for the race and I felt good and strong at the end with the pace feeling hard but manageable. Legs are hanging off me a bit now so looking forward to a day off! :)

MYTD: 975.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

pconn062 wrote: »
    10 mile, 1:21:50, 8.10 avg pace

"Long run" this morning, had intended on doing a few mile more but the stomach was cramping a bit which was uncomfortable so I made a turn for home. Nice morning for it though and the miles flew by. Rest day tomorrow, settling in now to watch the Wimbledon final! Oh can anyone recommend somewhere to buy running shorts at a reasonable price? Desperately need a few new pairs but some of the prices I have seen are hugely expensive! Online or shop in Louth/Northside Dublin area.

MYTD: 967.5

www.startfitness.co.uk will get proper running ones for like a 10er

ecoli wrote: »

Bang on ecoli, just what I'm looking for cheers. Never came across that site before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

pconn062 wrote: »
    Bang on ecoli, just what I'm looking for cheers. Never came across that site before.

Its where I get all my gear (expect shoes) some great deals and never any problems with delivery (normally within like 10 days) the only issue is some of the stock doesnt come in the smaller sizes for us little guys. There more mile gear also is cheap and good quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

There more mile gear also is cheap and good quality

+1 to that, there more mile socks are quality.

Got three pairs of shorts for 35 euro including delivery!! :eek: Thanks for the recommendation!

• Advertisement

7 mile with 4 mile tempo

Splits: 6.49, 6.31, 6.19, 6.25

Into the club for group training tonight and me and another fellow headed out to do a good tempo run. The splits are a bit up and down but they mirror the rather severe undulations on the route we ran. Was a serious effort this and I was hanging off the back of the other guy at times but very happy to get it done, felt fairly strong running at this pace over a tough, hilly course. Got fecking soaked in the middle of it though and hammered with hailstones, before baking in the heat at the end of the run, only in Ireland. :rolleyes:

MYTD: 982.5

5 miles

Session: 1 mile WU, 5x800m off 90 recovery, 1 mile WD
    Splits: 2.45, 2.47, 2.44, 2.44, 2.41 (2.44 avg)

Into the club to meet the lads for this tonight. Back to back hard days is not ideal and this is the third hardish day so far this week but will take it easy for the rest of the week. Was windy enough at the track but apart from that conditions were good. First one felt hard enough so eased back a little on the second. Felt good on the third one and carried that on to the fourth. I was mainly pacing with another fellow and decided to push a bit in the last one, felt really good here and happy overall with the session. The pace of these has improved over the last few weeks so hopefully that's a good sign that they are working. Legs are a bit tired now but very happy with the sessions I've done this week. Nice handy recovery run planned for tomorrow, looking forward to it! :)

MYTD: 987.5

3.2 miles

Ridiculously long day at work today meant I didn't get out for this until after 9 this evening, so just did a very short recovery run, no watch but felt very easy the whole way round. I have the prospect of another 12-14 hour day tomorrow so will hopefully squeeze in a run at some stage as I HATE missing days!

MYTD: 990.5

1000 miles approaching fast!!

tang1 wrote: »
    1000 miles approaching fast!!

Only 4 miles today so hopefully get it done tomorrow! At least I can stop counting then! :)

4 miles, 31:23, 7.52 avg pace

Another mental day today at work and I was shattered when I got home so just got out for four miles, felt pretty good on the run though. Hoping to get our for a longer run tomorrow but I have to work again so will just have to squeeze in what I can, have to do at least 6 miles to get me over the 1,000 mark! :)

MYTD: 994.5

11 miles, 1:25:52, 7.48 avg pace

Longish run today, was meant to head out with a group this morning but that went out the window with work so headed out on my own this evening. Felt good the whole way round, apart from two nasty blisters I picked up on each foot after about three miles, I never get blisters anymore so don't know where they came from. I think it could be my runners finally giving up the ghost, I need a new pair, have well over 1,000 miles in these ones. Speaking of 1,000's I hit the 1,000 mile mark six miles into this run in the glorious sunshine at port beach, not a bad way to do it! Bring on the next 1,000!:)

MYTD: 1005.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The target has to be 2012 miles in 2012!

Well done!

belcarra wrote: »
    The target has to be 2012 miles in 2012!

Well done!

Second that, well done on the 1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done pconn. Should be joining you in the 1000 mile club in the next week or so all things going well...

Advertisement