Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good session PConn. Does equal recovery mean walk/jog the same distance or equal time to the rep?

Thanks DL, yes the recoveries were jogged equal distance, so 200m jog after each 200, 400m jog after each 400m, etc. It's feels like a lot at the start of the session but you're glad of it by the end!

tunguska wrote: »
    Looks like we're on the exact same schedule, Im on week 3 and did that session last night myself. I think though pconn that theres a bit of disparity between your 200s, 400s and the 800. I mean if you're doing your 400s in 75 then your 200s should be 37s and your 800s should be 2:30. I was doing the 200s at the same pace you were (34/35) which corresponds to a VDOT of 66. But my 400s were 69s and my 800 was 2:19. Its your call of course but I think its worth your while easing up on the 200s, better to nail all the reps at the exact same pace than to blow your load on the 200s. Its all about that 800, if you can hold your 200 pace over the 800 you have it cracked.

No you're dead right man, I should be doing the 200's slower, around 37's secs as you say. Even the 400's should be slower, around 77/78. And the 800 was actually too slow (should have been 2.39 or so), but the problem is I find the 200's in 37 seconds very slow and I never have to push to get 34/35 seconds, the same for the 400's, 75/76 seconds is relatively manageable. I think the main problem is I got my VDOT from my 5k PB of 18.20 (56) which is six months old where as I think I actually in better shape than that now (prob 17:40-50 for a 5k) but I just haven't done it in a race. I'm running a 5k next week and depending on the result that might alter the training paces slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

pconn062 wrote: »
    No you're dead right man, I should be doing the 200's slower, around 37's secs as you say. Even the 400's should be slower, around 77/78. And the 800 was actually too slow (should have been 2.39 or so), but the problem is I find the 200's in 37 seconds very slow and I never have to push to get 34/35 seconds, the same for the 400's, 75/76 seconds is relatively manageable. I think the main problem is I got my VDOT from my 5k PB of 18.20 (56) which is six months old where as I think I actually in better shape than that now (prob 17:40-50 for a 5k) but I just haven't done it in a race. I'm running a 5k next week and depending on the result that might alter the training paces slightly.

Sounds like you have the short speed but your speed endurance is lacking. For now anyway. Last year my 400s and 800s were all over the gaff at the start, but after a few weeks I was alot more consistant.
    3 x 2 mile tomorrow. I know it says to do these at T-pace but I tweak the plan a little here and use 10k pace. Im training for a 10k so I really wanna make it specific.

6 mile easy with 1 mile in 5.35

Into the last time trial again tonight before Christmas but after the session yesterday I was not going to run too hard. Only a few people there and even on the warm up my legs felt a bit dead. Effort wasn't too high apart from the tired legs. Have another session tomorrow, suppose to be 3x2 mile at T pace but I'm considering switching it to something a bit more 5 mile specific as Raheny is my next target, 5x1 mile at race pace maybe. Will play it by ear tomorrow.

MYTD: 1921

10k aborted session

So I intended on switching today's 3x2 mile session to something a little more 5 mile specific, 5x1 mile @ race pace. Unfortunately when I woke up I knew it was not going to be a good day. I was wrecked and it was lashing rain and the wind was howling outside, my legs were tired and I generally was low on energy. I had limited time due to work at twelve until 9 and then an Xmas party afterwards so out into the rain I went which didn't help the overall mood. Jogged down to my mile repeat spot and just got straight into it, first mile 5.56 but I was fecked after it, working way too hard and the wind on the return stretch was killing me. Still 3 mins recovery and then into the second one but then my stomach started acting up and I barely finished, 5.55. I was done, called it a day and did a long jog home, my stomach still in knots. Disappointed but it's not the end of the world, just a bad day. Will probably move today's planned 3x2 mile to Saturday as it's probably an important session to get done.

MYTD: 1927

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I'd normally take the mick of you for being a wuss, but you're totally right backing out of a tough session if you're feeling a bit rundown. No point in pushing it and getting sick, which is damn easy to do. Still a bit dosed myself, which is a right nuisance. Hoping to get back to a bit of steady training in the next while.

4.5 miles easy

Shockingly hungover doing this morning, it was not pretty, between the sweats and the slight nausea it was quite a telling experience. I don't drink very often so when I do it hits me pretty bad! Feeling grand now so should be good for my session tomorrow.

MYTD: 1931.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

4.5 miles easy

Shockingly hungover doing this morning, it was not pretty, between the sweats and the slight nausea it was quite a telling experience. I don't drink very often so when I do it hits me pretty bad! Feeling grand now so should be good for my session tomorrow.

MYTD: 1931.5

Thats some serious dedication, like yourself i'm not a big advocate of the amber nectar and not a hope of me running with a hangover.

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats some serious dedication, like yourself i'm not a big advocate of the amber nectar and not a hope of me running with a hangover.

Dedication is not the word I'd use, stupidity more like! Definitely did more damage than good!

8.5 miles

JD 5-15k Week 3 Q2: 3x2 miles @ T pace off 2 mins recovery

Splits: 12:33 (6.17 pace), 12:30 (6.15 pace), 12:35 (6.17 pace)

I really wasn't looking forward to this but I really want to get it done as I think it is the kind of session I need. Target pace was about 6.20 per mile, conditions were pretty poor, the track was very wet and flooded in places. I think the track at our club was designed as an instrument of torture, it sits up quite high so gets the full whack of the wind and there is a slight incline on one side that feels more and more like a mountain on every rep. First set was fine, second one tougher but manageable and then the last one was an all out effort, was in an absolute mess at the end of it, coughing and spluttering like a chain smoker! Very happy with it though, this pace is my current 10k PB pace (no idea what my actual 10k pace is at the minute) so 3x2 mile at that pace with only 2 mins recovery on my own on a wet and windy track, I'll take that any day. The end of this really replicated race fatigue so was very satisfying to finish it. Long run tomorrow hopefully.

MYTD: 1939.5

• Advertisement

4 miles @ 7.43 pace

Had a rough night last night, started feeling queasy around eleven and spent most of the night awake with bad stomach cramps. Was worried that I managed to pick up the dreaded norovirus that is circulating at the moment. Felt a bit better today but the long run was off the cards, just headed out for four miles to shake out the legs. Felt good but I didn't want to push it and do any more. Hopefully it doesn't develop into anything worse and I can get out for another few mile tomorrow.

MYTD: 1943.5

7 miles @ 7.35 pace

Feeling a bit better today so stretched the run out a bit, working a touch too hard but overall it was pretty good. Still not 100% though so will play the next few days running by ear.

Happy Christmas to all! :)

MYTD: 1950.5

Christmas Day: 2.5 miles with Goal Mile in 5.16. Having a massive breakfast 45 mins before a mile race is not ideal but sure it's Christmas! This was actually one of my most comfortable miles and I never pushed it at all, had load left in the tank and could have run another mile at this pace which is good. Ate my body weight in crap for the rest of the day!

Today: 6 miles

Headed down to a handicap 5k race this morning with my coach and a few of the lads. Felt like the Michelin Man on the warm up, trundling and waddling around the pace and overall enthusiasm was pretty low. But we all agreed to just treat it like a training run and I put myself down in the 18 minute group. The lads in the group went off like the clappers but me and another fellow sat back and let them go. First k in 3.37 and I knew sub 18 was not on as I just wasn't in the mood to push it. Kept the pace comfortably hard for the rest of the race and still had something left in the tank finishing in 18:31. A good blow out if nothing else and had good banter with the lads so happy enough. Will probably do a session on Friday and just tip away after that, I'm doing a 10k on New Years Day so depending on the conditions I might give it a bit of a lash.

MYTD: 1959

Thursday 27th: 5 miles @ 7.59 pace

Friday 28th: 7 miles @ 7.38 miles

Today: 4.5 miles

It has been a very frustrating week, I picked up some sort of a stomach bug last Saturday, although it never got very bad and I was still able to run it made it a bit uncomfortable (how I ran an 18.30 5k with it I don't know!). Yesterday was the first day I was feeling better so I decided to stretch the run out a bit. After about 3 miles I started to get a bit of a pain in the arch of my right foot, not enough to stop me but a little worrying. Then today I had a session planned, sets of 200's, 400's and 800's. I got through the first set but the foot started bothering me to the point where it was painful so I had to bail. Very frustrating end to an annoying week. The only saving grace is I got out every day for some sort of run.
    I'm am icing the foot now and it feels fine so hopefully it's nothing too serious but it leaves the plan a bit all over the place. Another issue (a good one this time!) is that I'm going to New York for a week next Thursday which throws a spanner in the works as it puts two weeks out of action. So after speaking to my coach we have decided to put the plan on hold until Monday the 14th of January and start Week 4 from there. He told me to take a week off completely while I'm away to refresh the mind so between now and the 14th any running will be easy (that's assuming the foot gets better but I'm not too worried about it). I also intend to run a 10k on New Years Day, again depending on how the foot feels. One down side to this is that I won't be in the best of shape for Raheny but there's nothing I can do to help that, my real target races aren't until April so loads of time to get ready for them.

So that's everything I can moan about out of the way! Will play it by ear and see how the foot feels before deciding if I run tomorrow.

MYTD: 1975.5

7 miles @ 7.33 pace

Did a test run today and thankfully the foot felt fine, bit sore in the last mile but that's down to me being an idiot and running too far and too fast. Looks like the race on New Year's Day is back on!

It was also my final run of the year as I am taking tomorrow as a rest day taking me up to 1,982 miles for the year (will be over 2,000 next year!). It also brings to end my longest running streak of the year, a meagre 13 days (I'm still a believer in one day a week for rest!). It's been a good year and I've managed to lower nearly all of my PB's significantly and add some new ones.

800m: N/A=> 2.29
    1500m: N/A=> 4.54
    1 mile: 5.34=> 5.07
    3000m: N/A=> 10.33
    5k: 19:42=>18.23
    6k: N/A=> 23.07
    4 mile: 26:42=> 23:39
    5 mile: 36:50=> 31:29
    10k: 43:54=> 39:15
    10 mile: 1:13=> 63.48
    1/2 Marathon=> 1:37=> 1:29:30

I'm not happy with them all but overall there is a good chunk off them all. I am probably most happy with the 10 mile as it was a complete surprise, I was not expecting as good a run as that. The miles from 3-8 in that race were the most enjoyable miles I have ever ran, felt I could run forever and ran a new 5 mile PB in those miles as well. I am probably most disappointed with the 5k, I really thought I could run sub 18 but I think it's only a case of finding the right race. The 1/2 marathon as well stands out but that was just a bad day so not too annoyed about that.
    I've really enjoyed keeping the log here and hope to keep it into next year, has been great reading other peoples logs and getting some valuable info off more experienced runners. Thanks to everyone who read the log and offered advice, see you in the New Year! :)

MYTD: 1982.5

Time: 38:40

I thought I pretty much destroyed my chance at a good run today last night when I ate my own body weight in crap at a party. Even though I managed to stay off the beer I still wasn't feeling great this morning. But the race was only 10 mins away from my OH's house so I was going down anyway. Happy enough with how I ran, it's a very tough course (like all races in Monaghan), full of rolling hills and there are two kickers of hills at the end between 4.5-5 miles. With this in mind I banked some time in first half, going through half way in about 18.55 minutes dead. The second half and my stomach was starting to churn over after the excesses of last night and I honestly thought I was going to puke. We hit the hills and the pace dropped (a 6.48 mile mile 5 :eek:), but the hills were severe and the effort was sky high, myself and another guy who had run together since the start passed a few people on the hill.
    Last 1.2 mile was a full on effort, I had stitches in both sides and I was on the verge of puking but still managed to pass a few people here and somehow ran 5.25 pace for the last .2 of a mile. Finished in the top 15 or so in a pretty high quality field for a local country race on New Years Day.
    I spent several minutes retching after I crossed the line and it took 10 minutes to get back to feeling human again. I really think this was a sub 38 minute effort on a tough hilly course so will be interested to see what I would do on a flat course, will have to wait a few months to find out! Easy run planned for tomorrow before I head away.

MYTD: 8!!!

5.5 miles @ recovery pace

A few slow miles to try and help my poor legs recover from the beating they got on the hills yesterday. Seemed to do the trick as I feel grand now. I'm heading to NYC in the morning so this will be my last update for a week. I'm bringing a pair of runners with me but I envisage that they will only be used for walking (and maybe one easy run on the hotel treadmill if I can't sleep some night!).

MYTD: 13.5

Hey PConn.. Happy new year. Well done on all your massive improvements in 2012. Enjoy the holidays and I'll catch up with you soon.

So I'm home again now, suffering from jet lag. I'm actually afraid to weight myself but I would say I've put on a half a stone. :o I managed a total of 5 miles running while I was away, one 3.5 mile run on the hotel treadmill when I was struck by a bout of insomnia one morning and then a token 1.5 mile jog in Central Park. I also did a little cross training on one of the mornings when I was awake at the crack of dawn.
    After a few hours sleep this morning I ventured out as I wanted to feel the sea air. Covered 5.5 mile and if I'm honest it was a bit of a struggle. I was working a bit too hard for my liking and I felt very sluggish, probably not surprising after 3 hours sleep and 12 hours travelling. A bit of a slow start to the year but hoping to get back into the swing of things now. Hoping to start back with the plan next Monday so I'm just going to tip away until then. Looking forward to getting into some sort structured training.

MYTD: 24

5.3 miles

Headed into the new track in town for our clubs first training session there. I had no intention of doing anything hard, just didn't want to miss the first night. Did a warm up and may calves were feeling very heavy. One group were doing 2x400m @95% off 90 sec recovery with 10 mins recovery between sets. I decided (well actually I was coaxed by my coach!!) to do one set. I went out with one guy and sat behind him (he was on his second one, he had just run 60 seconds flat for the first one), until 200m and then I pushed on, came home in 63.1 which is not bad for my first ever timed 400m. After 90 secs recovery I did another one in a far slower and harder 71 seconds. I'm pretty sure with a little work I could get under 60 seconds. I did this in a heavy pair of Nike Pegasus, and I didn't really start pushing until I had 150m left. I also had loads left in the tank at the end, I was actually surprised so might try a proper one some night in spikes to see what happens. Jogged a few miles easy after this, long run tomorrow hopefully as I'm away Sunday.

MYTD: 29

• Advertisement

10 miles @ 7.44 pace

I hope to stretch out my long run over the next few weeks but 10 was enough for this morning, started off nice and easily before picking it up over the last two miles. My quads are killing me after all the walking we did in New York, feeling really tender and I'm hoping they loosen out over the next few days. I worked up the courage to weight myself this morning and was surprised to see I haven't put on a single pound, it remained stubbornly at 10st 7 (not that I'm complaining, more surprised really!). Hopefully I will squeeze in a few more miles tomorrow.

MYTD: 39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

5.3 miles

Headed into the new track in town for our clubs first training session there. I had no intention of doing anything hard, just didn't want to miss the first night. Did a warm up and may calves were feeling very heavy. One group were doing 2x400m @95% off 90 sec recovery with 10 mins recovery between sets. I decided (well actually I was coaxed by my coach!!) to do one set. I went out with one guy and sat behind him (he was on his second one, he had just run 60 seconds flat for the first one), until 200m and then I pushed on, came home in 63.1 which is not bad for my first ever timed 400m. After 90 secs recovery I did another one in a far slower and harder 71 seconds. I'm pretty sure with a little work I could get under 60 seconds. I did this in a heavy pair of Nike Pegasus, and I didn't really start pushing until I had 150m left. I also had loads left in the tank at the end, I was actually surprised so might try a proper one some night in spikes to see what happens. Jogged a few miles easy after this, long run tomorrow hopefully as I'm away Sunday.

MYTD: 29

63.1 is very decent without training or spikes. Definitely get under 60 without much effort. You probably have a good 800m in you too if you give it a go.

10st 7

Last time i weighed that was when i was 16, full 18 years ago now!! Hope the holiday went well.

63.1 is very decent without training or spikes. Definitely get under 60 without much effort. You probably have a good 800m in you too if you give it a go.

Thanks DL, I was happy enough with the effort. With regards to the 800m, I'm considering focusing on the 800m/1500m double for the Louth T + F champs during the summer, I will be consulting your log for 800m training tips!
    Last time i weighed that was when i was 16, full 18 years ago now!! Hope the holiday went well.

I was very surprised with the figure myself, thought I did serious damage on the holiday, had a great time though, cheers. How's training, are you still doing Raheny?

I was very surprised with the figure myself, thought I did serious damage on the holiday, had a great time though, cheers. How's training, are you still doing Raheny?

Raheny is gone, cant get the time off work. Training is goin well though, hopefully do another 5k race next month somewhere.

Raheny is gone, cant get the time off work. Training is goin well though, hopefully do another 5k race next month somewhere.

Ah that's a shame, work at the weekends is a pain. I'd say if you can string one or two 5k's together in fairly quick succession you will get under 19 handy enough. It usually takes a few races to work out how best to pace it.

5 miles @ 7.44

Few easy miles, had a bad patch in the middle of this where I started to get light headed so as I passed my parents house I stopped for a minute. It seemed to do the trick as I flew home over the last two miles. Have to re-think my weekly plan now that we will be training on A Friday night so I might do my session tomorrow to leave enough recovery time.

MYTD: 44

Monday: 5.5 miles @ 7.17 pace

Today: 7 miles @ 7.30 pace

Monday's run was the first day I felt back to normal and I zipped around feeling great. Today's was good too and this pace is feeling really easy at the moment which I take as a good sign. I am back in the JD plan this week but seeing as I had a lot of muscle soreness in my calves I decided to give myself and extra two days before tackling a session. Will head to the track tomorrow for a session and then do my second one at the new track on Friday. Don't think I can make it to the BHAA this weekend so my next race will probably be Raheny. It was originally a goal race but I just don't have the training done to run a decent time (ie sub 30) so I will just race it and hope for some sort of a PB.

MYTD: 56.5

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

5.3 miles

Headed into the new track in town for our clubs first training session there.

Is that the one in Drogheda? If so are they going to train regular there now? And do they have a very slow group:o
    Seriously no weight gain after Christmas and a holiday in a place that have no control over portion size, I'm jealous:p

madon wrote: »
    Is that the one in Drogheda? If so are they going to train regular there now? And do they have a very slow group:o
    Seriously no weight gain after Christmas and a holiday in a place that have no control over portion size, I'm jealous:p

Hi madon, I don't think I was fully committed to the weight gain, I had more effort there to give! :)

Yes it's the new Lourdes stadium in Drogheda, my club Dunleer have it booked every Friday night from 8-9 for now and then in March we will have Wednesday night. Last week was the first time we were there and there are all different levels, people just ran with someone of the same level and did their own thing. It will probably get more organised over the next few weeks with different groups and stuff. I know it is also open to the public as well, here are the times:

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Drogheda_Borough_Council/Lourdes_Stadium/

Drogheda and District also have it booked two evenings a week as well for group training!

• Advertisement

6.5 miles

Headed into the track tonight for senior training, I had intended on doing the JD session 40 minute tempo but when I got in they were doing a pyramid session and my coach advised that I do it instead as it would be more useful for 5 mile training with Raheny next week. It was laid out like this (in minutes):

3, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 with 30 secs jog recovery between the times. We averaged 5.54 pace which is quicker than my 5 mile pace but it was manageable for this session. I would be lying if I said it wasn't tough and the 30 secs recovery seemed very short especially as we were jogging the recoveries. But overall I was happy, it was 23 minutes of running in total with 20 minutes done at quicker than 5 mile pace off very short recoveries. Legs were tired at the end, I've said it before our track at Dunleer is designed as a instrument of torture, the bends are tight, the surface was loose and the hill on one side gets tougher with every lap. Hopefully it will stand to us!

MYTD: 63

7 "easy" miles @ 7.14 pace

Nothing easy about it at all, the weather was truly horrendous at the track tonight, it's some of the worst wind I've ever run in and it can really wear you down lap after lap. Cold as well, I wore a woolly jumper for the first mile and a half!The pace was also too quick but I was running with a few lads and was enjoying the conversation so I didn't want to drop back and run on my own, was hard enough in the group. Still it's done now, have a session planned for tomorrow so I'm hoping this snow that is forecasted doesn't come our way.

MYTD: 70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

6.5 miles

3, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 with 30 secs jog recovery between the times. We averaged 5.54 pace which is quicker than my 5 mile pace but it was manageable for this session. I would be lying if I said it wasn't tough and the 30 secs recovery seemed very short especially as we were jogging the recoveries.

Sounds like a great session, how'd the last 2 reps feel with the shorter recovery?

Sounds like a great session, how'd the last 2 reps feel with the shorter recovery?

They felt OK actually, it's a great session and I think the key is not to start too fast, we kept the pace consistent the whole way through which is important I think. Also 5.54 is not that fast for us in a session like this, around 4-5 mile race pace, so with the recoveries (even though they are short) it feels manageable. I'd definitely recommend trying it!

7 miles

Session: 3x(200m, 400m, 800m)

Splits: (37, 78, 2.50), (37, 79, 2.50), (34, 78, 2.49)

Today was not a day for doing a session but I wanted to get it done and the club had the track booked so I went in after work. It was really very cold and the wind down the home straight was terrible. Despite the large crowd at the track I could convince no one to join me so I did it on my own. The JD plan calls for 4 sets but I decided before hand to get to three and then see, but as it happens we ran out of time and I only had time for three sets. Overall, despite the weather, it actually went OK. I was running purely by effort and didn't check the watch once, the 800's should be a touch quicker but this was purely dictated by the wind. Apart from the last 200m (I was been chased from behind by another group!) the splits were pretty even as well which is good to see. Overall it was a good character building session if nothing else, I was chilled to the bone after it and I'm still not warmed up. The legs need an easy day tomorrow to recover from the last few days.

MYTD: 77

Saturday: 5.5 miles

Today: 10.5 miles @ around 8 minutes per mile

It's been hard to work up the motivation to step outside for the last few days, it's been so cold and wet and miserable, the temptation to just stay inside is very tempting. Saturday's run was freezing, I never warmed up, it's a strange feeling running at near 7 minutes per mile while shivering! And only for I was meeting up with a few of the lads today I would have been tempted to go back to bed when I looked out the window: howling wind, and a mix of rain and hailstones. Actually wasn't too bad when we got going and it was an enjoyable run which started slow and picked up towards the end. All in all it was a good week, 2 good sessions and just shy of 50 miles, hopefully I can replicate this for the next few weeks before the road racing season really starts.

In other sad news after three years of faithful service my Garmin is on the way out, it started on Friday night at the track and then refused to work yesterday so I left it at home today. It keeps stopping the timer without me touching it and then starting again and does this over and over again. Will have to try a complete reset and see if that works. I really only use it for my sessions but still it's handy to have it for that.

MYTD: 93

• Advertisement

Oh I was also hoping somebody can help me, I'm wondering about track spikes. I'll probably be doing a bit more running on the track this year so was going to invest in a pair of track spikes. I have a pair of brooks x-country spikes that I have been using but want to invest in a proper pair. Can anyone recommend a brand or type, will one pair of spikes do for different distances from 800m to 5000m? I know shoes is more of a personal thing but even a general brand or something would help, any advice would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Oh I was also hoping somebody can help me, I'm wondering about track spikes. I'll probably be doing a bit more running on the track this year so was going to invest in a pair of track spikes. I have a pair of brooks x-country spikes that I have been using but want to invest in a proper pair. Can anyone recommend a brand or type, will one pair of spikes do for different distances from 800m to 5000m? I know shoes is more of a personal thing but even a general brand or something would help, any advice would be appreciated!

For track spikes Nike are the only way to go I feel. Not a Nike fan for road running shoes would be more a Brooks/Saucony

Personally the spike I am in is the Nike Lanang. A steeplechase spike by nature but have found it light and very versatile for all distances on track (up to 5k havent ran a 10k in them)

Alot of people tend to go for the Zoom Victories which are a more middle distance spike but again can have a good range up to 5k

The Victory Elites were also the spike which about 90% of distance runners were in during the Olympics but can cost a fair chunk

That's great ecoli thanks for that. Had no idea that Nike were the big players, those nike zoom victories seem to be very popular, will look into them. You can pick them up at a reasonable price as well. Here's hoping the garmin comes back to life so I don't have to invest in a new one!

Agree with ecoli on the Nike. Have a look also forNike Zoom Matumba. I got a pair of those last year, very similar to the victory but with a bit more support, and still under 100g.

Agree with ecoli on the Nike. Have a look also forNike Zoom Matumba. I got a pair of those last year, very similar to the victory but with a bit more support, and still under 100g.

Forgot about these know a few of the lads who have them and not a bad word to be said either

• Advertisement

BTW if you are looking to buy online, you may need a size smaller than usual. My Nike Lunarglides are GB 8.5 (EU 43) and my spikes are GB 7.5 (EU 42). I like my road-shoes with space in the toe-box while the spikes are a tight fit and usually worn without socks.

BTW if you are looking to buy online, you may need a size smaller than usual. My Nike Lunarglides are GB 8.5 (EU 43) and my spikes are GB 7.5 (EU 42). I like my road-shoes with space in the toe-box while te spikes are a tight fit and usually worn without socks.

Thanks for that DL, will have to look into that. I'm usually a size 9 but take a 9.5 in all my runners (including my cross country spikes) for a bit more room. Would probably need a tighter fit with track spikes though I imagine? Although I would never go without some sort of light sock, I kind of have a thing about that!

5.5 miles @ 7.18 per mile

Easy run this morning, wasn't meant to be this fast but it started snowing and it wasn't stinging the hell out of my eyes. I still have no Garmin but I know all my routes to the hundredth of a mile off by heart at this stage so I can still work out pace. Proper arctic conditions this morning, I could practically hear the people in the passing cars calling me an idiot!

MYTD: 98.5

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 7.34 pace

Today was a repeat of last weeks pyramid session:
    3, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 (minutes) with 30 secs jog recovery between the times.

Found it a bit tougher this week and the average pace was a bit slower, 5.58 compared to last weeks 5.54. I faded a bit more towards the end of the session today but checking the splits now I see that the 2nd mile was @ 5.46 pace whereas last weeks splits were much more even. I also dropped back from the two lads I was running with for the second half as I felt the pace increasing and knew I needed to slow a touch to finish it out. But being on my own probably caused me to drop off the pace a little too much (ie I got lazy on my own! :rolleyes:). Still all in all it was a good workout that mirrored that heavy legged end of race feeling.
    Still haven't decided about Raheny, waiting to get advice from the coach on whether do it or not, based on tonight's session I want to leave it but if he feels it would be worthwhile then I will head up. Will decide by tomorrow evening anyway for sure.

MYTD: 111.5

Thurday:

AM: 7 miles easy
    PM: 2.5 miles with 1 mile time trial

Ran 7 miles at a very easy pace, had no watch at all so no idea of time or pace or anything but I kept it very easy the whole way round until the last mile or so. Forgot their was a mile time trial on in the evening (probably wouldn't have run 7 miles before it otherwise :rolleyes:). Decided to go out anyway and run as it was the first nice evening in ages and it was being held on the nice new track. Good crowd of about 20 in the race with some very decent runners, ran 5.07 and finished 4th so happy enough. Probably lost a few seconds on a slow first lap and a half but it was a race, not a time trial. Ran splits of 2.35/2.32.

Friday: 5 miles

Decided to a bit of a light session tonight, the JD plan called for 10x400m but given the mile last night I wanted to alter it a bit. Got out to the track and there was a group doing 10x200m with 200m jog recovery so decided to jump in on that.

Splits: 31.5, 33.3, 31.2, 30.8, 33.1, 31.9, 30.9, 31.0, 30.60, 28.0

Splits were a bit all over the pace but I was out front on my own for most so it was hard to pace. Pushed on for the last one and was happy with a 28 dead. Overall a good session, some good fast running but with long enough recoveries to not wreck me completely.

I'm not running Raheny this weekend unfortunately, a few things came up such as club reg fees and I had to book flights so things are a bit tight on the cash front this week so something had to take a hit and unfortunately it was the race. Glad to have a few more weeks training before my next race, the Rás in three weeks time and my real aim is the road racing season which kicks off properly in March. I'm currently on a 15 day running streak but depending on how the legs feel tomorrow I either won't run at all or just do a very short easy run. Then on Sunday I'm going to do a long run/JD tempo run.

MYTD: 127

Well done on the mile race Pconn.. you'll be under 5 minutes this season probably. Catch up with ya next week sometime.

Well done on the mile race Pconn.. you'll be under 5 minutes this season probably. Catch up with ya next week sometime.

Cheers RFR, have a nice trip, might see you Wednesday!

Great race and great session. That session is a great 800m one and the splits look promising for the shorter distances come the summer your 1500m from last summer will be greatly revised IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Just caught up with your training log, great work, you are flying.

ecoli wrote: »
    Great race and great session. That session is a great 800m one and the splits look promising for the shorter distances come the summer your 1500m from last summer will be greatly revised IMO

Thanks ecoli, good to see you back doing consistent training, best of luck in Raheny, hope you get a good day for it.
    RandyMann wrote: »
    Just caught up with your training log, great work, you are flying.

Thanks RM, same to yourself. Good luck in the upcoming championships, will keep and eye on your log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Pconn-

Just looking at your training- I kinda echo what everyone else is saying- I think you will rip it up at the middle distances. Nailing that 28 at the end of your 200 reps shows some serious potential for the 800m. Have you raced that distance much?

• Advertisement
Advertisement