Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 mile easy

Handy recovery run after work tonight, pace felt easy, probably around 8.55. Possibly heading to the BHAA mile race in Santry tomorrow, depending on whether I can rope one or two into sharing the driving. Just curious to see what I can do over a mile at the minute, will see what the morning brings.

MYTD: 1261.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

pconn062 wrote: »
    Thanks Philip, nice to see you again. That's a great run you had, you did exactly what you wanted to do. Mark had a good run, 69 I think which he was pleased with given his current fitness. Def no marathon for me this year, will give the half a good crack and then it's into the cross country for the winter! Good luck with the training and keep us posted with how it's going.

Sounds like the same plan as myself the aerobic base you will gain from the HM training will have you in great nick for a good XC season. Best of luck with it hope to see you around at some races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

pconn062 wrote: »
    6 miles

Session: 1x20 minute, 3 min rec, 1x10 minute @ 1/2 marathon pace (6.30)

This was meant to be 2x20 minutes but the stomach was in absolute bits and had to cut it short. Didn't even feel good on the warm up but got through the first block OK, even if I was in bits by the end. Only for I was doing this session with a clubmate of mine I would have called it quits here but felt OK after 3 minutes and started the second one. I was really struggling and had to call it a day early :(. I know there is a case for HTFU here but I was nearly doubled over with cramps so probably did the right thing, couldn't even do a warm down. The only good thing was that the pace felt fine, breathing was fine for the whole thing and we were constantly throwing on the breaks to stay around 6.30 pace. Still, two more sessions next week should set me up OK. Recovery run tomorrow.

MYTD: 1257.5

Great session. 20 min @ HMP is a tough rep without a doubt especially with that short a break 30 min of Threshold running is still a great session so I wouldnt worry about having to pull up early

Keep it going man you will do damage come 2 weeks

ecoli wrote: »
    Great session. 20 min @ HMP is a tough rep without a doubt especially with that short a break 30 min of Threshold running is still a great session so I wouldnt worry about having to pull up early

Keep it going man you will do damage come 2 weeks

Cheers man, appreciate the comments, looking forward to giving the race a good crack in 2 weeks. Best of luck at the National 1/2, your training has been impressive and looking forward to seeing the outcome, I'd say you'll have a great run. Cross country is coming soon, I can't wait, my favourite time of the year! Star of the Sea is first up for me so hopefully see you there.

Watch time: 5.19

Bit of a "meh" race this one, just headed up as I was curious to see what I could do. Was warm and very windy down one side of the track. It slowly dawned on me as the races were going on that I signed up for the wrong standard and ended up in the fastest fecking race, lined up with lots of very skinny fellows in tracks spikes and fancy sunglasses. Nothing I could do so just went with the pace at the start, first lap and a bit in 73 which felt very fast. Just a case of holding on from here, the wind down the home straight was flattening me with each lap, but managed to kick at the end and avoid coming last, in fact think there were a few behind me. Enjoyed the race and not a bad result but I think I could definitely go faster on a less windy day. Had only just catched my breath and I was called up to run a leg of the 4x400m relay with two clubmates of mine and, for some reason, the backwards running guy. :confused: Anyway I ran the second leg and managed to hold my position which is all I was fit for.
    Did 3 mile at recovery race when I got home to flush the legs out a bit, long run in the morning.

MYTD: 1266.5

• Advertisement

17.35 miles, 2:15:40, 7.49 avg. pace

Long run this morning with a few from the club. Very warm morning it was and the coach sent us out on a hilly bastard of a route "it will do you good" or something to that effect. Despite that I felt good for the entire run and the pace felt very easy, just took in plenty of fluids. Only problem was that my t-short decided to smuggle a cheese-grater with it and proceeded to attack my nipples ferociously, so I ended up running the last 8 miles 'au natural' much to the dismay of my fellow runners and the community at large. :pac:
    Another good 50 mile-ish week, one more good week to put in and then a taper week before the race.

MYTD:1284

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Super running in the 10 miler pconn!

beeduybe wrote: »
    Super running in the 10 miler pconn!

Cheers Beeduybe, hope your training is going well. I think I need a week of warm weather training like the one you had! :)

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: 6.5 miles, 48:34, 7.32 avg pace

Easy enough run this morning before work, very warm and I was probably slightly overdressed for the occasion but felt good all the same. Chest is a bit tight this morning for some reason, not my breathing but my actual chest, feels like I could have strained it somehow? :confused: Anyway didn't bother me on my run so not too worried.

MYTD: 1290.5

6.5 miles

Into the club tonight for the now traditional annual 4 mile time trial. Basically it is a handicapped race with runners starting in staggered groups over the Dunleer 4 mile route. It is just a free run between the runners in our group and a chance to test yourself over 4 mile. I was in the second last group setting off with 3 of the lads. Basically we went out hard and tried to hold on for dear life. I surprised myself by crossing the line in a new unofficial PB of 23.38. Splits were:

Mile 1: 5.46
    Mile 2: 5.55
    Mile 3: 6.08
    Mile 4: 5.48

The course was probably 30-40 metres short (what did we ever do before Garmins :rolleyes:) so that adds about 10 seconds which still gets me under 23:50, still almost 30 seconds quicker than the Dunleer 4 mile race a few weeks ago. Very happy with that and the whole thing was great craic, running with people you know and train with and all the banter that goes with it. In fact the group I ran with all seemed to pull eachother to good times. A good evenings work. :)

MYTD: 1296.5

• Advertisement

8.5 miles

Session 2x20 minutes at 1/2 marathon pace (6.30) with four mins recovery

1st 20 mins: 3.11 miles (6.25 pace)

2nd 20 mins: 3.08 miles (6.29 pace)

So this was another attempt at this session after I had to cut it short last week. Into the track and doing it with the same fellow. I knew I had a hard run yesterday but I didn't really mind doing it on tired legs. First block was fine, felt fairly good even though the pace was a bit quicker than intended, my running companion was pushing now and again. After 4 mins recovery we set off for the second one. This went fairly good as well although I had to dash to the bathroom six minutes in, but was only stopped for about 2 mins and got through the rest of it OK. Pace felt as it should, fast but manageable. Very glad to get that done although I'm shattered now though and generally feeling pretty beat up. Going to take it very easy tomorrow if I do anything at all, long run on Saturday this week instead on Sunday.

MYTD: 1305

3.5 miles recovery

Not a great run this, felt fairly wiped for the whole thing but done now. It's mad that a recovery run can feel harder than running 6.30 pace did last night. :rolleyes: Long run (I think) in the morning, 16-18 miles.

MYTD: 1308.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

When's the first cross country pconn? Star of the Sea is near enough to you so if you're running, might see you there. Well done on the 4 mile TT

Lock wrote: »
    When's the first cross country pconn? Star of the Sea is near enough to you so if you're running, might see you there. Well done on the 4 mile TT

Cheers Lock, yeah Star of the Sea is up first for me, then Louth Novice in the first week of October, can't wait to get back to the mud! Good to see you back logging and getting back into it, you'll be flying again in no time.

5.5 miles, 43:02, 7.37 avg pace

Easy run this morning between work, nothing much to report. Had intended on doing a long run but a call from work put a stop to that, will do it tomorrow instead. Stomach still isn't feeling right since Wednesday, wondering now if I picked up a bug or something. This race on Saturday is like my marathon for the year so I think a touch of taper/pre-race madness is starting to kick in. :eek:

MYTD: 1314

16 miles

Had to do a bit of scheduling today to get this done this morning, a guy from the club organised a charity 5k so I wanted to support him if possible but also wanted to get my long run in. So I did 12.5 easy (7.48 pace) before shooting over to do the 5k race. It wasn't really a race, no entry fee or numbers, you just showed up and made a donation and ran the course. I tipped around in just under 21 minutes (which was good enough for second place, shows how competitive it was! :pac:), course was a bit long so averages 6.32 pace, which was a good hard-ish finish for my long run. Cooled down with 1/2 a mile of jogging, legs were dead for this. Felt pretty fecked overall after this so went home and jumped into the ice bath and I'm glad to say I feel better already.
    So that's all my training for the Dublin 1/2 done, hopefully with a (very) easy week this week the legs will feel fresh and I can have a good one next weekend. Stomach felt better today as well which is also good. Rest day tomorrow.

MYTD: 1330

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: 7.2 miles

Session: 2x3k @ 1/2 marathon pace off 60 secs recovery, 90 sec recovery between sets

Splits: (4.00, 4.02, 4.02) 90 sec (3.59, 4.05, 3.59), 6.29 avg pace

Mini session just to give the legs a final spin @ race pace, pace felt comfortably hard, like it should I suppose. Did this on a 1k stretch on the coast road so was quite windy both ways but the legs felt fresh and the stomach seems to have returned fully to normal. Plan for the week is an easy run tomorrow and Thursday and then off Friday.

MYTD: 1337

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VaderMLK

Good luck on saturday pconn. Had orginally planned to do the half in dublin too but have to go home now so will try and do the athlone half instead. Thus taking it a bit handier myself this week too so as to give saturday a good shot. best of luck again

VaderMLK wrote: »
    Good luck on saturday pconn. Had orginally planned to do the half in dublin too but have to go home now so will try and do the athlone half instead. Thus taking it a bit handier myself this week too so as to give saturday a good shot. best of luck again

Cheers Philip, best of luck to yourself, hopefully we all get a good weekend for it. Let us know how you get on in the 1/2 marathon, Athlone is meant to be nice.

10 miles

Bit of a session this evening at the club, hadn't intended on doing anything hard but my coach suggested doing something he was doing himself: on our regular 8.5 mile loop do 3x1 mile @ race pace at the end off 90 secs recovery. We did about 5 miles easy (well kind of easy around 7.05 pace) and then three of us launched into the repeats, our coach was doing them significantly quicker than us so we did them on our own. Splits were: 6.12, 6.20, 6.06. A bit quicker than intended but it was mostly downhill for the majority of the 3 miles. Felt good through all of this and felt strong at the end which is a good sign. Coach was happy with the splits and said it should help make actual race pace feel a bit easier on Saturday. Definitely tapering now though, :rolleyes: 4 mile easy tomorrow and then off Friday.

MYTD: 1347

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Whats the goal time for Saturday??

Today: 4.5 miles

Into the club to meet a few lads and did a mile and a half with them before the pace started creeping down to 7 minutes, so I bailed on them and plodded around another 3 miles on my own. Windy and warm but otherwise I felt good. Can't wait for the race, chewing at the bit to get racing.

MYTD: 1351.5

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats the goal time for Saturday??

Well I knew balls on the block time would come eventually! :D The target pace is 6.30 per mile which all going well would get me 1.25. Whether I can do that or not is another story but that's the pace I have been training at when doing paced runs.
    Hows the injury now tang, getting any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Still rubbish, no improvement at all. Getting corrective insoles tomorrow so hopefully might help things. Was thinking you'd be aiming for around 1.25, say you may even dip under it. I was right on the ten mile:p. Your training most certainly deserves an incident free race especially what happened to you before Dundalk earlier in the year. Best of luck Saturday, i'll have an eye on the results.

tang1 wrote: »
    Still rubbish, no improvement at all. Getting corrective insoles tomorrow so hopefully might help things. Was thinking you'd be aiming for around 1.25, say you may even dip under it. I was right on the ten mile:p. Your training most certainly deserves an incident free race especially what happened to you before Dundalk earlier in the year. Best of luck Saturday, i'll have an eye on the results.

I know a few people from the club who got insoles recently and it has made a world of difference for them, back running within days of getting them.
    I won't doubt you again after the 10 mile, in fact I hope you're right this time but I'll still take 85 in a heartbeat! Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of Luck tomorrow P!
    It'll be interesting to see how you get on...sub 1:25 will be a good challenge for you but you could very well do it!

That's would set you up great for a marathon next year ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck!

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of Luck tomorrow P!
    It'll be interesting to see how you get on...sub 1:25 will be a good challenge for you but you could very well do it!

That's would set you up great for a marathon next year ;-)

Ha, cheers Belcarra, I said 1.25, never mentioned sub 1.25!! I think that time was forced on me! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

all the best tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Best of luck pconn. Looks like a tough course so make hay on the downhills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Best of luck in the race Pconn. You're in great shape for a fast time - your PB is about to be absolutely destroyed. I won't be able to join the celebrations tomorrow but I'll see ye Wednesday. Enjoy the day tomorrow.

Advertisement