Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

9.5 miles @ 7.22 pace

Into the club for a run this evening. We ran with the coach for the first five miles and took it really easy as he was doing a recovery run, about 7.30-40 pace. Then we picked it up for the last four miles (as soon as his back was turned we picked it up! ;)). Nice evening and I enjoyed this run, legs a little fatigued towards the end, probably because of the hill repeats yesterday. Session tomorrow hopefully.

MYTD: 1424.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

pconn062 wrote: »
    9.5 miles @ 7.22 pace

Then we picked it up for the last four miles (as soon as his back was turned we picked it up! ;)).
    MYTD: 1424.5

Bowld pups...

Bowld pups...

I'm just glad you weren't there or it would have been even faster! ;)

6.5 miles

Session: 5x1k off 2 mins recovery

Splits: 3.32, 3.31, 3.27, 3.35, 3.27 (3.30 avg. pace, 5.41 mile pace for those who work in old money like me)

Bit of a session with a few of the lads in the club. I love this session (and it's not often you can say you are looking forward to a hard session!). First one was a bit fast but felt fine, thought we slowed a bit on the second one but came in a bit quicker, still feeling good. One of the lads went to the front on the third and pushed on a bit, this was a bit too quick so we decided to cop on a bit and I paced the next one which was more manageable. Put a bit of a shove on the last one to bring us back in 3.27 again. Felt ready good doing these, legs felt strong and the two minutes recovery seemed like loads, we walked for the first minute and jogged the second one. Hope to do this a few more times maybe pushing to 6 reps and then up to 3x1 mile but tonight was a good starter. Gonna run easy now for a few days and do a longer run at the weekend as well.

MYTD: 1431

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

6.5 miles

Session: 5x1k off 2 mins recovery

Splits: 3.32, 3.31, 3.27, 3.35, 3.27 (3.30 avg. pace, 5.41 mile pace for those who work in old money like me)

Bit of a session with a few of the lads in the club. I love this session (and it's not often you can say you are looking forward to a hard session!). First one was a bit fast but felt fine, thought we slowed a bit on the second one but came in a bit quicker, still feeling good. One of the lads went to the front on the third and pushed on a bit, this was a bit too quick so we decided to cop on a bit and I paced the next one which was more manageable. Put a bit of a shove on the last one to bring us back in 3.27 again. Felt ready good doing these, legs felt strong and the two minutes recovery seemed like loads, we walked for the first minute and jogged the second one. Hope to do this a few more times maybe pushing to 6 reps and then up to 3x1 mile but tonight was a good starter. Gonna run easy now for a few days and do a longer run at the weekend as well.

MYTD: 1431

Quality stuff as always, great running.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Quality stuff as always, great running.

Cheers tang, how are you feeling now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Cheers tang, how are you feeling now?

Good & bad, three runs since i got all clear from physio last week. Two pain free, one not so much. Taking it easy for while, nothing over 5 miles in a run for a while. Only love to be at your level, ye young fellas!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Good & bad, three runs since i got all clear from physio last week. Two pain free, one not so much. Taking it easy for while, nothing over 5 miles in a run for a while. Only love to be at your level, ye young fellas!!

Glad to hear it, nice and easy and don't force it and you will be back flying in no time hopefully.

3.5 miles easy

Only time for a quick dash this morning as I had a busy day and I had to get up at ridiculous o'clock this morning to do it, I seriously don't know how people do intervals or tempo work before 9 in the morning, I was barely able to plod along at 8.30 pace. Considering doing my longer run tomorrow as it's giving a manky day for Sunday. :(

MYTD: 1434.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Considering doing my longer run tomorrow as it's giving a manky day for Sunday. :(

HTFU :p:pac:

• Advertisement

beeduybe wrote: »
    HTFU :p:pac:

Ha, I was asking for that I suppose! Good luck with the 10k time trial, (now it's my time for acronyms!), sub 40 or GTFO! :pac:

6.5 miles @ 7.31 pace plus 5 strides

I took beeduybe's HTFU advice on board and left my long run till tomorrow so just another easy run today! Have a bit of a group to run with tomorrow so it shouldn't be too bad, they are doing 20 miles but I'm just gonna jump in for 13 or so (so glad I'm not running a marathon! :p). I've been reading Jack Daniels Running Formula with the intention of doing some sessions from the blue advanced and gold elite plan for the next while so part of his idea is to do strides after most of your easy runs, something I started today and hope to get into the swing of.

MYTD: 1441

13 miles @ 7.36 pace

Longer run this morning, miserable conditions but overall an enjoyable run. Did 7 or so miles with the lads at around 7.50 who were doing a 20/21 mile run then pushed on a bit on my own for 6 miles @ around 7.15 pace. Happy with my week, close to 50 miles again, hope to keep this sort of mileage for the next few weeks. Just one session planned this week for Tuesday and then will take it easy for the rest of the week leading up to the Louth Novice next Sunday.

MYTD: 1454

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: 7.5 miles

Session: 8x400m @ I pace (my first Jack Daniels session)

Splits: 78, 78, 78, 78, 80, 78, 79, 76

Did this on the roads as I wasn't really bothered driving into the track. Also I could do more of a warm up ad cool down. I was aiming for 80-82 seconds for these based on my last 5k. Felt good on the first one and even though it was a bit fast I decided to stick with it to see how I got on. Recovery time was a 400m jog which seemed likes a lot but that what the man prescribes so who am I to argue! I did the recoveries at a quicker than jog pace to keep the time down a bit. Glad to be able to keep all of these consistent and had enough left for a quicker rep at the end. Overall I enjoyed this, legs are a bit sore now but think that is mainly down to wearing my flats for the session on these bumpy country roads! Just easy running now for the rest of the week to lead up to Sunday.

MYTD: 1461.5

I pace?!!! Wha?!! You gettin a bit fancy on us pconn? Looks like a decent session, even if I don't know what it means. I sort of fell in love with my Yasso 800s over the past few months, really enjoyable way of mixing up the running. Where's the race on Sunday?

I pace?!!! Wha?!! You gettin a bit fancy on us pconn? Looks like a decent session, even if I don't know what it means. I sort of fell in love with my Yasso 800s over the past few months, really enjoyable way of mixing up the running. Where's the race on Sunday?

Ha, believe me it's a lot simpler than it sounds. "I" just stands for interval pace and you get that pace from a table based on a recent race time, it has to be simple for me to be able to follow it!! Race at the weekend is the Louth novice XC, you should cancel your marathon and run this instead, your club needs you! See you tomorrow night.

Right, you've sold it. Who'd want to go to one of the nicest cities in Europe, where it's 20 degrees and sunny, and run in a marathon with a good chance of a PB. Getting covered in muck and rained on sounds far better. I'll just tell Mrs RFR we've a change of plans.

Right, you've sold it. Who'd want to go to one of the nicest cities in Europe, where it's 20 degrees and sunny, and run in a marathon with a good chance of a PB. Getting covered in muck and rained on sounds far better. I'll just tell Mrs RFR we've a change of plans.

That's the attitude!! ;)

10 miles @ 7.01 pace

Glad to get a bit of a longer run in tonight at the club with the race at the weekend. Started off nice and handy then joined the lads for a few tempo miles which I was assured would be 6:15-6:20 pace. :rolleyes: After 3/4's of a mile at 5.50 pace (the bastards!) I backed off and joined a few other lads and kept up a good but comfortable pace. Fecking freezing tonight, might give Lidl a visit in the morning and invest in a few pair of "running" gloves (cause regular gloves just won't do ;)).

MYTD: 1471.5

Thought ye lot were going to cruise up behind me in Dromin. Hopefully the sound of a large pace group behind me is something I'll be hearing on Sunday afternoon at 12.25pm!! I'll catch up with ye at training in the next couple of weeks. Best of luck in the x-country on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Thought ye lot were going to cruise up behind me in Dromin. Hopefully the sound of a large pace group behind me is something I'll be hearing on Sunday afternoon at 12.25pm!! I'll catch up with ye at training in the next couple of weeks. Best of luck in the x-country on Sunday.

Cheers RFR, hope the race goes well for you, your training has been solid so just don't get carried away at the start and you'll run a cracking time. Let us know how you get on.

6 miles @ 7.35 pace with 6 strides

Just a handy run at the club tonight with a few of the lads. We spent most of the time discussing tactics for Sunday, the best plan we could come up with is to try and slow the whole thing down to our pace and then burn them off in the last 400m!! :D Somehow I don't think it's going to be an effective plan!

MYTD: 1477.5

Friday: 4.5 miles easy

Today: 4 mile very easy with strides

Nothing much to report on these two runs, just ticking over. Today's run felt good, legs felt awesome and running felt as easy as walking so hoping for a good run tomorrow. The strides just shook a few cobwebs off as well which was good. Looking forward to tomorrow.

MYTD: 1486

So the first real cross country race on the year was today, the Louth Novice. Good field showed up with about 60 in the mens race. Course was a bit funny, 8 laps around a few football pitches which was a bit dull but the ground was in good shape with the exception of one boggy patch. Pace started off fairly slow and I was just off the back of the lead group of about 12. They slowly pulled away and to be honest I probably overcooked a bit here passing the first mile in about 5.47. I was kinda stuck between two groups now, the leading group and the second group which wasn't a great place to be. After 3 laps or so the second group caught me with three Drogheda runners and a club mate of mine. I stuck with this group but I was labouring hard.
    As the laps ticked by this group stayed together until the 6th lap where 2 guys fell back and 1 guy pushed on. My clubmate who was feeling better pushed on with him but I stayed back, I had no choice as I was running low now. Held it together for the 2nd last lap but on the last lap the guy I was running with pushed ahead and I had nothing in the legs to respond. I was well clear of those behind so I just ran into the finish, no sprint finish today!
    Course was about 6.25k and I finished in around 22.58/59 I think so pretty happy with the time, over a minute quicker than Star of the Sea two weeks ago. Just a bit annoyed about how I ran it, overcooked it at the start and struggled for the last 5 laps losing two places. But I also gained one place so not a complete disaster, think I finished about 20th overall. I learnt a hard lesson today about pacing so hopefully I can carry that into the Intermediate race next weekend.
    Pretty disappointing day for the senior team though, we have a fairly small senior membership and a few lads were out with injury so we hadn't the strongest team and didn't get a top 3 team finish for the first time in a few years. But our big race is the Senior race in a months time, we have some very good senior runners who usually win this and they are looking stronger than ever this year.

MYTD: 1491.5

Turns out that there was some mix up with results and we infact did win 3rd team, and I was the fourth runner on the team so happy days, my first County medal (well since I was a junior! ;)).

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: 7 miles

Session: 4x(2x200m, 1x400m off equal recovery (200, 400m jog))

Splits:

Set 1 (36,39, 78)
    Set 2 (39, 35, 79)
    Set 3 (39,39, 79)
    Set 4 (39, 39, 77)

Into the track this morning, and it was fairly blustery there during my warm up. Pace was a bit all over the place on the first 2 sets of 200's, I've never done anything shorter than 400's (the 35 was a bit of a shock!). The 400's were a bigger shock after the shorter 200's and I was in a jock after the final one, I mean proper dry heaving, bent over, the works. That means it's working right?? :rolleyes: Still go through the whole thing fine and I even enjoyed it, although I definitely prefer longer 800/1000m reps.

On another note I lost my fecking spikes at the race the other day and no one handed them in so that's 60 quid down the drain, gonna have to buy a new pair as I have another race this weekend, only got about 4 races out of them. :mad:

MYTD: 1498.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

On another note I lost my fecking spikes at the race the other day and no one handed them in so that's 60 quid down the drain, gonna have to buy a new pair as I have another race this weekend, only got about 4 races out of them. :mad:

MYTD: 1498.5

What size are you?

ecoli wrote: »
    What size are you?

Size 9 man. I emailed the guy who organised the race and he said maybe they were picked up and put in the clubrooms, so he was going to check at training this evening. My own stupid fault for leaving them behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Size 9 man. I emailed the guy who organised the race and he said maybe they were picked up and put in the clubrooms, so he was going to check at training this evening. My own stupid fault for leaving them behind.

Ill double check the size but I have a pair of brand new adidas XC spikes never worn if you want them (As far as I remember they are a 10 but I am a 9 and I fit in them because always advised to go up a size in spikes)

If you want them?

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Ill double check the size but I have a pair of brand new adidas XC spikes never worn if you want them (As far as I remember they are a 10 but I am a 9 and I fit in them because always advised to go up a size in spikes)

If you want them?

Ah man you're too generous! I'll wait and see if this guy comes back to me tonight but if not I'll def take them off your hands, but I'll pay you for them man! Cheers!

Advertisement