Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

7 miles easy

No Garmin but came in at around 54 minutes. Wasn't a very enjoyable run either, just battling with the wind the whole way round which got quite tiring after a while. Stomach was in a bit of a jock all day as well which didn't help. So just shy of 159 miles for the month which is not bad considering I missed a full weeks training at the start of month when I was away. Two races, a 10k and a mile with a PB in the 10k and a matched PB in the mile. Have one or two more races next month which I'm looking forward too!

MYTD: 158.5

Month|Miles Run
    January|158.5
    February|
    March|
    April|
    May|
    June|
    July|
    August|
    September|
    October|
    November|
    December|
    Total|158.5

Went into the track tonight with plans to do my JD session but I was running late and wouldn't have had time to get it all done, there was a group doing 6x300m with 2 mins recovery so me and the bro decided to jump in on this. We had the wind in our face for the first 120m or so. To cut a long story short I started OK, then faded pretty badly over the last three.

Splits: 48.2, 48.1, 48.7, 51.1, 53.4, 53.8

So not a pretty picture but it is my first proper middle distance session and it goes to show how much I would have to learn. The only good thing I can take from it is that I never really went above 80% effort on the first one and I feel I could run under 60 for 400m with not that much work.
    I would have been much better off with my JD session but sometimes life gets in the way. This is the last week of phase II and I'm starting phase III next week which I'm really looking forward to, it's got some really interesting sessions and lots of 1k-1200m @ I pace which I really enjoy.

MYTD: 162.5

Saturday: 11 miles @ 7.37 pace

Today: 5.5 miles easy

Stomach is still a bit dodgy but I felt good overall on Saturday's longer run, I hope to stretch this run out to 13-14 miles over the next few weeks. Started nice and slow and picked it up on the second lap. Legs felt a bit tired after it and that carried over into days run, felt sluggish enough and I was working a touch too hard. I'm finding the wind is damaging my motivation levels a touch, I know it's the same for everyone but we get it very bad here at the coast and it's really frustrating having to work really hard into the wind for little reward.
    Anyway, on we go, starting Phase III of JD this week and I'm looking forward to it. Will probably have to start the week with a rest day tomorrow as I have to get blood taken, never had it done before and I presume it wouldn't be the wisest to run after it. I could get up very early and do it before I go, but will depend how I feel in the morning (and I'm a terrible early morning runner! :))

MYTD: 179

Monday: 5 miles easy

Tuesday: 6 miles @ around 7.30 pace

Today: JD Phase III Week 1

4 x 4mins @ I/5k pace off 3 mins rest

Pace for each set: (3.42, 3.35, 3.38, 3.37)

Couple of easy days to start the week, got out for a run on Monday after all which was good. Tuesday mornings run was particularly interesting, it was Baltic cold and I had to search a few roads that weren't covered in snow and ice (gritters are rarely found out in the sticks!). The wind was wicked as well so so all and all it was a bit too much excitement for an easy run.

Into the track tonight for this session and straight away there was a problem. Our track at the club is a dirt/gravel track and about twice a year it gets raked by a machine to loosen it up cause it gets very hard like concrete. Unfortunately it was only done today and it was like running on loose sand. Anyway we were there so we went ahead with it anyway, the 1st rep was tough and we struggled to find the pace, it was so hard to run on and we kept losing grip as our heels dug into the gravel. The 2nd one was better but we were working hard to his the pace. 3rd and 4th ones were much the same and my calves were screaming at me by the end. My Garmin is frigged so my friend kept the times (that explains the funny kilometer paces above, I'm too lazy to convert it), we were pretty happy with the splits when we checked them at the end, managed to keep them fairly even.
    This was a tough session and I was glad to get it done, a few more weeks with sessions like this should help come the road racing season. Easy run tomorrow and have 2 more sessions planned for some time this week.

MYTD: 196

Thursday: 7 miles easy

Today: JD 5-15k Phase III: Session 5 x (2 mins hard, 1 min easy, 1 min hard, 30 secs easy, 30 secs hard, 30 secs easy)

Easy run yesterday, although it took me over 4 miles to feel good, felt tired and a bit lethargic at the start, tipping along nicely at the end though.
    Into the track then after work tonight for this session, I wasn't feeling too great all day, suffering from a rare hangover after one too many pints at a gig last night. Most of the group are in the middle of indoor training and were doing 200's so I it was just me and my brother doing this. Overall it went pretty good, all of the hard sections were done at under 5.30 pace so in all there was over 17 minutes running at close to my 3k pace. We kept the pace even throughout all of the reps and it only really started to get tough on the 4th rep. Even though I was fairly wrecked at the end it was a good session and will hopefully stand to me next week in my two races.
    Have another session to do this week so I might have to break a cardinal rule and do back to back hard days but will see how I feel, legs feel pretty fresh after tonight's session.

MYTD:209

• Advertisement

8 miles

Session: JD 5-15k Phase 3: 2 mile T pace, 2 mins rest, 2 mile T, 3 min rest, 1 mile T, 1 min rest, 1 mile T pace

Splits (12:37, 12:39, 6.20, 6.16)

So this was meant to be Daniels 3x2 mile @ T pace but I learnt the hard way today not to do back to back hard days. Daniels uses the phrase "total body fatigue" in his book when talking about 5-15k races and I now know what he was talking about! My arms hurt, legs were hanging off me, breathing was frigged and I had bad stitch on my right side! I even felt sluggish enough on the warm up but decided to go ahead anyway.
    During the first two mile I said there's not a hope I will be able for the second one, after two mins rest I said I would start it and see how I got on. Got to the end some how by telling myself I would call it a day after this. I took an extra minutes rest and then convinced myself to do one mile, felt OK after this so after one minute rest I decided to do one more to take me up to the six miles than the plan prescribes. Even though it's not the exact session in the book I think it was probably just as good as the effort was just as high. And I managed to keep the pace fairly even (6.18 avg.) throughout which is a plus I suppose.
    Doing this after the session last night was a bad idea though, I'm finding the 3 sessions a week in the Daniels plan tough from a time management point of view and I need to plan it a bit better in the future so I don't end up in this situation again. Long, easy run tomorrow will finish me off nicely for the week.

MYTD: 217

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

pconn062 wrote: »
    8 miles

Session: JD 5-15k Phase 3: 2 mile T pace, 2 mins rest, 2 mile T, 3 min rest, 1 mile T, 1 min rest, 1 mile T pace

Splits (12:37, 12:39, 6.20, 6.16)

So this was meant to be Daniels 3x2 mile @ T pace but I learnt the hard way today not to do back to back hard days. Daniels uses the phrase "total body fatigue" in his book when talking about 5-15k races and I now know what he was talking about! My arms hurt, legs were hanging off me, breathing was frigged and I had bad stitch on my right side! I even felt sluggish enough on the warm up but decided to go ahead anyway.
    During the first two mile I said there's not a hope I will be able for the second one, after two mins rest I said I would start it and see how I got on. Got to the end some how by telling myself I would call it a day after this. I took an extra minutes rest and then convinced myself to do one mile, felt OK after this so after one minute rest I decided to do one more to take me up to the six miles than the plan prescribes. Even though it's not the exact session in the book I think it was probably just as good as the effort was just as high. And I managed to keep the pace fairly even (6.18 avg.) throughout which is a plus I suppose.
    Doing this after the session last night was a bad idea though, I'm finding the 3 sessions a week in the Daniels plan tough from a time management point of view and I need to plan it a bit better in the future so I don't end up in this situation again. Long, easy run tomorrow will finish me off nicely for the week.

MYTD: 217

Good running but I'd be really careful about back to back sessions... My biggest critique of the Daniels approach is he goes with the make em or break em approach and you have to make full sure you stay on the right side of that line- lining up sessions like that puts an awful lot of stress on ya make sure you are recovering maybe keep an eye on yer pulse when you wake- can be a good indicator

drquirky wrote: »
    Good running but I'd be really careful about back to back sessions... My biggest critique of the Daniels approach is he goes with the make em or break em approach and you have to make full sure you stay on the right side of that line- lining up sessions like that puts an awful lot of stress on ya make sure you are recovering maybe keep an eye on yer pulse when you wake- can be a good indicator

Thanks drquirky, yeah it wasn't my finest moment for sure, just bad planning on my behalf. The Daniels plan is very full on alright, will have to plan these 3 session weeks a bit more, it's only every second week that has three sessions so should be manageable. Curious to see how it transfers over to results over the next months. Great running yourself at the minute, you're tearing up those Parkrun 5k's! I'd say you will run a great time in a bigger race with loads of people around you (and one that isn't flooded!).

11 miles @ around 7.40 pace

11 miles in the rain this morning with my brother and RFR, was feeling pretty tired for the first few miles but it got easier and I felt good towards the end. Another good week with 50 miles and 3 decent, if tough, sessions. I am putting the plan on hold for on week as I have two races this week so I intend to step back the mileage and effort to allow me to focus on them. I will then start back with the plan on Monday week. I have a rest day tomorrow and then a couple of easy days before the first race which is the Armagh 3/5k on Thursday night. I'm doing the 3k as you can only enter the 5k if you are a sub 17 runner, 40 runners went under 15 minutes last year! :eek: So they put on a 3k for joggers like myself! Should be fun anyway.

MYTD: 228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Can never understand why that race doesn't get more publicity its arguably the most competitive Road race every year yet the only publicity about it is usually a bit on Lets run

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Can never understand why that race doesn't get more publicity its arguably the most competitive Road race every year yet the only publicity about it is usually a bit on Lets run

I know, it's a strange one. It's a great race as well, great buzz about the place and you run at night time with street lights and fairy lights and stuff, great craic! Deadly to see the elite races as well, good field lined up this year.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 7 miles @ around 7.40 pace

Today: 6 miles easy

I have an easy week planned for this week with the two race so after a rest day on Monday I just did a couple of easy, soggy runs. It's times like this I wish I had a treadmill but alas I don't so I will just have to get used to my daily soakings. I don't actually mind the rain, it's when a car goes by you and splashes water everywhere that gets me! Looking forward to this race tomorrow, haven't actually been able to find any info on the open 3k but we are entered into something, hopefully it's not the elite 5k! :eek: Don't fancy being lapped on the 800m lap, really looking forward to seeing the elite races anyway especially the elite women's 3k, Mary Cullen up against Lisa Dobriskey, should be fun!

MYTD: 241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Best of luck in Armagh pconn. Sub-10?

Registration closed for my planned Saturday race last week, so looks like I'll just have a hangover to contend with on Sunday afternoon. See you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck tonight man. Either sub 10 or sub 17 definitely on the cards depending on what you end up running :D

Best of luck in Armagh pconn. Sub-10?

Registration closed for my planned Saturday race last week, so looks like I'll just have a hangover to contend with on Sunday afternoon. See you then.

Listen, I've raced you before when you were crippled with a hangover and you still bet me so I'm worried!
    ecoli wrote: »
    Best of luck tonight man. Either sub 10 or sub 17 definitely on the cards depending on what you end up running :D

Thanks ecoli, I hope you meant sub 18 there man! Looks like it's going to be the 3k after all, Mr McMillan gives me a 10.06 3k off my mile time but I've never run a 3k on the road so we will have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I found the 3k a tough one to pace. For the likes of us who normally run longer distances, although you've tried your hand at a few shorter distances, it's tough to know how much effort to put in early on. I thought I was going hard for the first 3 or 4 laps of my 3k time trial down the club but then I had loads of energy for the last two laps and really should have been pushing harder early on. You probably have a better idea than me but my advice for what its worth is to go a little faster than you think wise early on. The race is nearly over before it's really started.

It's a really enjoyable disatnce to run, so enjoy. You'll be running with some pretty talented company from the sounds of it.

I found the 3k a tough one to pace. For the likes of us who normally run longer distances, although you've tried your hand at a few shorter distances, it's tough to know how much effort to put in early on. I thought I was going hard for the first 3 or 4 laps of my 3k time trial down the club but then I had loads of energy for the last two laps and really should have been pushing harder early on. You probably have a better idea than me but my advice for what its worth is to go a little faster than you think wise early on. The race is nearly over before it's really started.

It's a really enjoyable disatnce to run, so enjoy. You'll be running with some pretty talented company from the sounds of it.

Thanks Kiely, great advice. The first time I did a 3k was exactly like that, too conservative at the start. But the last time I ran one I went out like a lunatic at the start and although I was dying with two laps to go I came home in a much better time, so I think I'll repeat that strategy tonight as it worked so well the last time. (I'll probably be reporting a massive blow up later on!)

Watch time: 10.21

Great evening tonight up in Armagh, arrived early enough to catch the last of the Junior races, some great performances by the Dunleer AC juniors with 1 win and lots of top 5 finishes. Up next was the women's 3k where Mary Cullen destroyed the field with a serious piece of front running, didn't catch her time but she broke the course record. We did our warm up during the men's 5k and the speed those guys were going at was ferocious, missed the end but it came down to a sprint finish.

My race was the last of the night, the open 3k, which was probably a bit of a let down after the speed of the previous races. I had a target of 10:15 in my head which meant 3.25 k's. Off we went and after a bit of dodging around some of the more enthusiastic kids I settled in, I had the lend of a Garmin, never checked it but it felt fast which was confirmed when we passed the first k and the marshall shouted out 3.18. Shit, too fast and although I had planned a fast start I knew it would be a case of holding on from here. Into the second of three laps and I was starting to hurt but held onto a decent pace, through 2k in 6.49. With only one lap to go I was feeling OK so started to push for the finish, I was mostly running on my own with no one to chase and a group about 5 metres behind me. Down the home straight and my watch beeped with the 3k (3.24) but I still had another 50m to go. I averaged 5.26 pace (which equates to a 10.12 3k) and I thought I ran a fairly good line so maybe the course was a touch long, not an excuse though.

Overall I was happy with the result, it is an 8 second PB and I felt I ran well and never fully emptied the tank, think if I had someone with me at the end for a sprint finish would have helped. Think I can get under the elusive 10 minute mark this year. Great race though, definitely recommend it to everyone for next year, quality evening of running with a great spread afterwards. Will try and get out for an easy jog tomorrow.

MYTD: 245

Well done pconn062. Looking forward to a good battle with ya on Sunday.

Well done pconn062. Looking forward to a good battle with ya on Sunday.

Cheers RFR, have a good weekend, have a few extra shots on me (the more hungover you are, the better for me! ;)).

Friday:

AM: 3.5 miles easy
    PM: 4 miles easy

Couple of very easy runs today, one early this morning before work and then I called into the track on my way home and did a few more. Legs felt pretty good overall, will take another easy day tomorrow which should leave me OK for the Rás on Sunday.

MYTD: 252.5

• Advertisement

Saturday: 4.5 miles easy

Few easy miles yesterday, legs felt a tad heavy, maybe some lingering effects from the race on Thursday.

Today: Rás na hEireann

Arrived very early in Oldbridge today to help set up the race, so much work involved in organising a race, really opens your eyes when you're on this side of the fence. Did a short warm up before our race and before we knew it we were lined up and off. The course was in good condition mostly, a few muddy spots, but the wind was the biggest factor. In general this is a tough course, one massive hill on each lap which really saps the energy out of the legs.
    After one lap I was in a good position but felt I was working a bit too hard. I held my position during the second lap but was really starting to hurt now and I was wondering how I was going to finish. Into the third lap and up the hill which nearly broke me and I got separated from the group I was running with. I got a shout from my coach here telling me to "start working" and I tried to tell him I was working as hard as I could!!
    I got passed by a friend of mine at the start of the last lap and I was in no mans land on my own battling the wind, I just put the head down and crawled up the hill, put a bit of a sprint in at the end but it was more for show than anything, there was no one behind me or in front to chase! I had no watch but I think I finished in about 24:30/40 or so. Slower than last year but in general the times (including the winning times) were about a minute slower than last year.
    As much as I love cross country I don't think I am made for it, many of the guys who beat me today I have comfortably beaten over a mile or 3k so the sooner the summer comes the better! Still a great day and it was good to see the International runners racing. Back into normal training this week with week 2 of Phase III.

MYTD: 264

Monday: 6 miles easy

Today: 7 miles with 8 hill repeats

Took it very easy on Monday but the hills did some damage and the legs felt very heavy starting out, felt a bit better by the end all right. Felt a slight twinge in my left calf towards the end of the day.

Woke up this morning and I could feel it as I walked. Decided to go out and test it anyway and it felt fine so I went ahead with my planned session. I decided to switch the 10x400m in the JD plan for a shorter session given how the legs felt and settled on some hill repeats. Ran over the my usual spot which has a hill between 200-250m in length. I managed to keep the reps very consistent between 50/51 seconds. I called it s day after 8 reps just before it started to get very tough so as not to overdue it with the calf.

While I felt fine on the run my calf started to twinge a bit through out the day and if I push my fingers in at a particular point it feels quite tender. So I got the foam roller out and did a bit of work which was very painful, applied ice as well which I will do tomorrow as well. Will keep and eye on it tomorrow before deciding whether to run tomorrow or not. Would rather miss a day or two if necessary than have it develop into a worse injury.

MYTD: 277

Go easy on yourself for a bit PConn. A few days rest, and a bit of easy running will do you the world of good. If you go handy for the week and run sub 18 on Saturday, the lost couple of sessions won't matter in the slightest. Hope not to see you at the track tonight, and hope to see you Saturday.

Go easy on yourself for a bit PConn. A few days rest, and a bit of easy running will do you the world of good. If you go handy for the week and run sub 18 on Saturday, the lost couple of sessions won't matter in the slightest. Hope not to see you at the track tonight, and hope to see you Saturday.

Thanks Mammy. ;) You'll be glad to hear my calf feels much better this morning with no pain at all so I will see you at the track later, sure I need to get some practice at pacing you for Saturday!!! :) (Seriously, though I will be taking it very easy after tonight).

Good stuff, glad to hear the pain is gone. Race on Saturday will be another good test. See you later.

So as I mentioned earlier my calf felt fine when I woke up today but as a precaution I kept the ice on it every two hours or so and it seemed to do the trick, so I decided to go ahead with my planned session at the track.

Session was: 5 x 4 mins @ I pace with 3 mins recovery

Pace per rep: (5.50, 5:46, 5:44, 5:42, 5:50)

Very happy with how that went overall, conditions weren't the best with a strong wind blowing down one side of the track so we started the first one a bit cautiously. After that though the rest got gradually quicker until we decided to pull back on the last one so as not to over do it. The three minutes recovery that JD prescribed always seemed like loads and the pace throughout felt hard but manageable. Overall a good session with 20 mins running at around about my current 5k pace and no pain from my calf either which is a relief, will keep the icing up for a few days just in case though. Hope to repeat this session a few times over the next few weeks. Will take it very easy for the next few days to give the legs a chance to recover.

MYTD: 283.5

You're a wuss for easing up on that last rep.

You're a wuss for easing up on that last rep.

Listen, I was way ahead of you on the first three reps so I eased up for the last two so you could save a bit of face!

Thursday: 6 miles @ 8.22 pace

Today: 30 mins easy

Couple of easy runs over the last few days, Thursday's run was the slowest I've ran in a long time and I felt great after it, really refreshed. And then I was out early this morning before work for another few easy miles. Doing a low key race in the morning, have no real aim, just treating it as a session as JD recommends some low key races throughout Phase III.

MYTD: 293

• Advertisement

Fitzer's 5k: 18:07

Not exactly the time I was hoping for but I'm actually very with how I ran and it's a 15 second PB. Got in with a good group and kept the effort very steady throughout but I just faded a touch over the last mile which cost me the sub 18, just shows I am still lacking a touch of endurance at the end of races. Course was very good but the roads were not closed which made for some dicey corners and jumps up onto the footpath which was not ideal. Was Baltic cold as well, definitely the coldest race I've ever done and we even got a few flakes of snow. Finished 18th overall in a decent field of 400 so not a bad result. Considering I'm in the middle of a heavy training period and the two sessions I did this week, it's a good result and sub 18 is just around the corner. Have three more weeks good training planned before my next race, another 5k so will give that one a bit more of a crack and get under that damn 18 minute mark! Long run tomorrow hopefully.

Have to say well done as well to my friend Runforestrun who posts here and ran a cracking time of 17:40, getting into shape now!

MYTD: 298.5

Advertisement