Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

12 miles @ 7.51 pace

And a good long run to finish the week. Ran with my brother and a friend of mins which meant the pace was a bit slower that if I was on my own but after the race yesterday I was glad of it. Felt very comfy the whole way round and it was a lovely morning so really enjoyed it. A good weeks training with two good session, close to 50 miles and a good race as well. After talking to my coach I am considering dropping one of the sessions from the JD plan and just doing Q1 and Q2. I'm finding the three sessions a week a bit too much and he thinks I would get the same benefit from two as I could attack them a bit harder. Will see how this week goes to try it out.

MYTD: 310.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

pconn062 wrote: »
    After talking to my coach I am considering dropping one of the sessions from the JD plan and just doing Q1 and Q2. I'm finding the three sessions a week a bit too much and he thinks I would get the same benefit from two as I could attack them a bit harder.

Been thinking along the same lines myself for the last few weeks. I'm far from an expert but I've been thinking that 50 miles a week is probably not enough to include the 3 quality sessions and still recover every week unless you have been running big mileage over many years or you're just a machine...

beeduybe wrote: »
    Been thinking along the same lines myself for the last few weeks. I'm far from an expert but I've been thinking that 50 miles a week is probably not enough to include the 3 quality sessions and still recover every week unless you have been running big mileage over many years or you're just a machine...

I know, I mean all the plans in that book are designed with elites in mind (I mean, JD considers threshold pace to be 5.00 per mile!) and probably require elite mileage to pull it off properly. I'm just finding myself struggling to fit the sessions in and my coach thinks two sessions a week and 50 miles is enough for me for now (and I trust his opinion!). Two sessions a week is still solid training and you could consider upping to three sessions maybe next season. As I said I will play it by ear and try it this week to see how it goes.

How are you finding the plan? In the one or two races I've done on the road so far I can definitely see improvement with two good PB's, hopefully by the time we're finished there will be a noticeable drop in times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think its a smart move if you are not recovering sufficiently. It took me a year of 70ish mileage before I physically could get the best benefits out of three sessions.

You can still see huge improvement off 2 mind you and some people actually see better improvements off the two. Its just a case of training smarter rather than harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

How are you finding the plan? In the one or two races I've done on the road so far I can definitely see improvement with two good PB's, hopefully by the time we're finished there will be a noticeable drop in times.

The plan is going well so far. I haven't had any major setbacks and have got in at least 2 quality sessions most weeks. Have only ran a few xc races since I started the plan so hard to say whether I've noticed any gains from the plan as yet. Meath HM on Sunday will be my first road race of the year. Sub 90 mins is the ambitious target and if I manage to hit that I'm sure the JD sessions will have helped in a big way.

Well done on your recent PB's. Your hard work is really paying off. Where is the next race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just picked up on your log... Some great training there!

What are your targets for the year??

ecoli wrote: »
    I think its a smart move if you are not recovering sufficiently. It took me a year of 70ish mileage before I physically could get the best benefits out of three sessions.

You can still see huge improvement off 2 mind you and some people actually see better improvements off the two. Its just a case of training smarter rather than harder

Great post ecoli, I think at the moment at my current mileage, two sessions is more than enough. Maybe if I decide to increase the mileage next year I will find the plan a bit easier.
    beeduybe wrote: »
    The plan is going well so far. I haven't had any major setbacks and have got in at least 2 quality sessions most weeks. Have only ran a few xc races since I started the plan so hard to say whether I've noticed any gains from the plan as yet. Meath HM on Sunday will be my first road race of the year. Sub 90 mins is the ambitious target and if I manage to hit that I'm sure the JD sessions will have helped in a big way.

Well done on your recent PB's. Your hard work is really paying off. Where is the next race?

Yes it will be interesting to see how the JD plan works for a longer distance race like a half marathon, I'd say all those threshold runs will stand to you and sub 90 should be achievable. Next race for me is a 5k in three weeks, will do a bit of a taper and give it a good crack.
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Just picked up on your log... Some great training there!

What are your targets for the year??

Thanks Gavlor, I've been keeping an eye on your log, that was a cracking run you had in that 10k recently, fair play. Most of my targets for the year will be during the summer track season. Hope to run close to (or under) 2:10 for 800m, sub 4:40 for 1500m, sub 10 3k, sub 5 mile and as quick as I can get over 5k. What about yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great post ecoli, I think at the moment at my current mileage, two sessions is more than enough. Maybe if I decide to increase the mileage next year I will find the plan a bit easier.

Yes it will be interesting to see how the JD plan works for a longer distance race like a half marathon, I'd say all those threshold runs will stand to you and sub 90 should be achievable. Next race for me is a 5k in three weeks, will do a bit of a taper and give it a good crack.

Thanks Gavlor, I've been keeping an eye on your log, that was a cracking run you had in that 10k recently, fair play. Most of my targets for the year will be during the summer track season. Hope to run close to (or under) 2:10 for 800m, sub 4:40 for 1500m, sub 10 3k, sub 5 mile and as quick as I can get over 5k. What about yourself?

My main target is sub 3 marathon. I'll take stock again once that's done and maybe try a sub 80 half....

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 7.13 pace

Today: JD session, 4x10mins @ T pace with 2 mins rest

Pace per rep: (6.23, 6.23, 6.25. 6.23)

Nice day off on Monday to rest the body, felt good. Feeling fresh on Tuesday so pushed the pace a little on this easy run, pace felt very comfortable around 7 minute mile pace. Then tonight it was into the track in Drogheda for a session. It's great, our club now has two nights a week on this track so it makes doing session so much more enjoyable. The plan was for 3-5x10 mins @ T pace so given that I knew time would be slightly limited (we only have an hour) I aimed to do four reps. Had company for this in the form of my brother and a friend of mine. Pace was probably a touch too slow for these (should have been around 6.20) but I never checked the watch really when I should have and just ran by feel. Still it was a good workout, not super tough but a good 40 minutes in total at my 10k pace + 15 secs or so. Will run easy tomorrow and then do another session at the track on Friday.

MYTD: 324.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

That's a super session.
    How did it feel on the track, easier or more difficult than on a stretch of road or park? Don't think I'd fancy it !

• Advertisement

That's a super session.
    How did it feel on the track, easier or more difficult than on a stretch of road or park? Don't think I'd fancy it !

Thanks RK, yeah it's a good session alright, I always find tempo running hard, give me short intervals any day! The track is really useful for doing sessions like this as Jack Daniels says, it allows you to regulate the pace without having to worry about hills or anything. I'm sure a flat road or stretch of park would do the same job but while we have access to the track we might as well use it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thanks RK, yeah it's a good session alright, I always find tempo running hard, give me short intervals any day! The track is really useful for doing sessions like this as Jack Daniels says, it allows you to regulate the pace without having to worry about hills or anything. I'm sure a flat road or stretch of park would do the same job but while we have access to the track we might as well use it!

I've started using the Clontarf prom again for tempo stuff...8.6km long and perfectly flat.
    Can get a bit crowded in places and sometimes the wind can kick up but otherwise perfect for sessions.

belcarra wrote: »
    I've started using the Clontarf prom again for tempo stuff...8.6km long and perfectly flat.
    Can get a bit crowded in places and sometimes the wind can kick up but otherwise perfect for sessions.

Yeah that sounds perfect for tempo runs belcarra. Jack Daniel's main point is that tempo should be done on a flat surface so you can completely control the pace. It doesn't have to be a track, it's just a track is ideal for it, if slightly boring to run around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Done that JD session myself this week, but stretched it to 4 x 2 miles.
    Would have been nice to be on the track, but all I had was a 0.6 mile stretch of flat road, with half of it on concrete the legs were pretty beat up afterwards.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Done that JD session myself this week, but stretched it to 4 x 2 miles.
    Would have been nice to be on the track, but all I had was a 0.6 mile stretch of flat road, with half of it on concrete the legs were pretty beat up afterwards.

Ooh that sounds tough all right, concrete can just destroy the legs. I was just thinking as I was doing the session that it would be a great session for someone doing a marathon. A bit more taxing than a marathon paced run but not taxing enough to totally wipe you for the week. I'm sure your pace figures were a lot more impressive than mine! :pac:

Thursday: 7 miles easy @ 7.30 pace

Friday: Session @ track

9x400m with 200m jog recovery.

Today: 13.2 miles @ 7.39 pace

Lovely run on Thursday evening, felt very good. Then on Friday I went to the track in Drogheda to do my planned JD session. But when I got out there was a group doing 400's so I decided to jump in with them instead. Times ranged from 75-78, mainly around 76 and a final one on 73. Had to cut it short at 9 reps as we ran out of time unfortunately, felt good.
    Today then I wanted to stretch out my long run so settled on 13 miles, which would be my longest run since last September. Overall I felt good, going through the 1/2 marathon in about 1.40. But afterwards my legs felt tired as well as my core muscles. I'd say I have the core muscles of a 90 year old nun, something I definitely need to work on. Will try and get out for a few recovery miles tomorrow at some stage.

MYTD: 349.5

5.5 miles easy

A very easy, short run to bring the week to an end. I don't know what I did to myself during yesterdays long run or Fridays intervals but I was in bits all day yesterday and still today. Everything was tender, my calves, thighs, groin and even my ankles were sore. :confused: Felt a bit better during the run today but I'm still pretty stiff, it's like that feeling you get the day after a marathon. Anyway, have a few easy days before my next session so will take it easy before then.

MYTD: 355

Monday: 6 miles easy

Tuesday: 7 miles steady

Wednesday: JD Session: 3x1200m, 1x800m, 2x400m @ I (5k) pace

I was still pretty stiff on Monday's run and it was a bit of a slog at times, felt better towards the end however. Much better on Tuesday then and I tipped around very easily at around 7 minute pace with most of the stiffness gone.

Into the track tonight and I was looking forward to this session. It was supposed to be 3x1200m, 3x800m but unfortunately my old stomach problems flared up again and I got into trouble after the first 800m. The 1200's were grand, I felt good and we kept having to pull the pace back. We jogged a lap between each one. However on the first 800m I knew I was in trouble, just getting bad cramps and stuff. It was kind of my own fault as I had dinner to close to heading to the track, should just have had something small. I tried the next to but had to pull out both times after one lap. Will know better for next time anyway. A bit frustrating as apart from the stomach I was actually feeling pretty good. Still I'm happy enough with what I got done anyway, could have been a lot worse.

Haven't decided what I'll do for the rest of the week yet, will check the plan and maybe move a few things around depending on how I feel. I really want to nail a good 5k session before my next race on the day after Paddy's day.

MYTD: 373

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Sorry to hear that pconn, live and learn I suppose, but no one likes hearing that after a poor session. Onwards and upwards.

Sorry to hear that pconn, live and learn I suppose, but no one likes hearing that after a poor session. Onwards and upwards.

Thanks RK, as I said it's not the end of the world. My own fault anyway, will know better the next time. Your training's going well, keep it up.

• Advertisement

Thursday: 4.5 miles easy

Today: 6 miles easy

Thursday's run was meant to be longer but I kept putting it off in a vain effort to see if the rain would ease off. It didn't. By the time I got into the track it was coming down sideways and the track was severely flooded. 35 minutes sloshing around was more than enough. Then after a very long day of PhD work/real work today I was fried so postponed my planned session until tomorrow and just jogged 6 miles on the track. Did 2x400m at the end just to shake the legs out, came in at 72 and 71 which seemed about right. Stomach still giving me a few issues but felt better as I went on today so should be fine for tomorrow. Going to do some sort of tempo/interval session hopefully, strangely looking forward to it!

MYTD: 383

JD session: 8x5 mins @ T pace with 1 min recovery

So this was written as 7-10 by 1 mile (or 5 minutes if your tempo pace is slower than 5 minutes per mile :rolleyes:). I had decided before hand to do 8 reps. However motivation was seriously low with the rain and cold and wind. I actually went outside and then actually said fuck it and went back in again, only to be coaxed out again by the little voice in my head that says "you'll regret it if you don't do it". Flew through my warm up and lashed straight into the reps, my garmin gave me 6.15 pace for the first one before dying on me. Kept the effort the same for the rest of them, was doing it on an out and back stretch and I ended up at the same place every time so was fairly consistent, between 6.10-6.15 pace. It was tough though, I hate tempo runs and that 1 minute recovery is gone in a flash. Happy to get it done and I glad I didn't wuss out of it. Long run tomorrow to finish off a pretty decent week.

MYTD: 391

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

JD session: 8x5 mins @ T pace with 1 min recoveryIt was tough though, I hate tempo runs and that 1 minute recovery is gone in a flash. Happy to get it done and I glad I didn't wuss out of it. Long run tomorrow to finish off a pretty decent week.
    MYTD: 391

Great going man, sound like you're nailing the sessions. I personally love tempo runs! It's a great feeling legging it around at a good pace but its not too taxing on the body. Im just finishing off a p&d plan but the 6-7 mile @ tempo pace runs were my favourite sessions! Is it possible that you might be doing them a bit too fast??

Great going man, sound like you're nailing the sessions. I personally love tempo runs! It's a great feeling legging it around at a good pace but its not too taxing on the body. Im just finishing off a p&d plan but the 6-7 mile @ tempo pace runs were my favourite sessions! Is it possible that you might be doing them a bit too fast??

Thanks man, no I'm not a fan of tempo runs, give me reps or intervals any day! Yeah they could have been a touch quick today, probably down to the lack of a Garmin for most of it (and me wanting to get it over with! :pac:). I normally do my tempo mile repeats @ around 6.10/15 pace so I was probably a bit quicker than that today.

13.5 miles @ 8.00 minute pace

Long run this morning with my brother over an extremely hilly route, I'd say at least 60% was uphill which was a bit stupid in hindsight and accounts for the slightly slower pace. It was also extremely windy and we were running on quite high ground so got the full brunt of it and it was tough moving into it at times. Very comfortable run all round despite the hailstones and sleet! A good week this week, got two decent sessions done and the mileage is up around 50 miles again. Going to cut it back a good bit this week starting with a nice rest day tomorrow that I'm looking forward to. Will possibly take another day off at the end of the week, so this is very much a step back week. I'm feeling like the training is starting to pay off and I'm feeling good, have my eye on a few short races over the next few weeks.

MYTD: 404.5

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: 7 miles easy

Wednesday:

AM: 3k fun run
    PM: Session, 4x1k at 5k pace with 2 minutes recovery

Felt pretty good on Tuesday's run, legs took a while to wake up and I could still feel Sunday's long hilly run then, the weather was lovely though so the miles zipped by. This morning then I ran a 3k fun run that was organised in the college I work/study in, only a small affair with about 60 runners, I finished 2nd, just out sprinted at the end by some sneaky bugger. My time was 10.14 but I can't vouch that the course was the right length as I had no Garmin so won't be counting it as a PB. Felt ok after it and didn't fully empty the tank so decided to do a bit of a session at the track tonight. Switched my JD plan as the lads were doing 5/6x1k so I decided to jump in on that and just do four reps. Splits were something like 3.37, 3.35, 3.32, 3.29. Felt good, nice and controlled through them all with just the right amount of effort. Will get out for an easy run at some stage tomorrow.

MYTD: 419

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Your training is very consistent now,when you racing next?

Your training is very consistent now,when you racing next?

Cheers man, racing next Monday, 5k in Drogheda, will give it a good crack.

Thursday: 7 miles easy

Today: 5 miles easy with 6x150m strides

Lovely run on Thursday evening, was feeling great despite the heavy session the night before (unfortunately not a drinking session!) and I zoomed along nicely. Then did 5 miles easy at the track tonight with 6 strides thrown in, felt good again and was tipping along nicely at 7 minutes per mile will little effort. I seem to be picking up a bit of a cold unfortunately, had the shakes all day and a few sore muscles combined with a runny nose. Have already entered the race on Monday but will give it a miss if I don't feel good, plenty of other races coming up over the next few weeks. Will play it by ear.

MYTD: 431

• Advertisement

Saturday: 6 miles easy

Yesterday: Off

Today SVP 5k race

Another crap race, I took Sunday off as I was away and didn't feel 100%, felt better today so decided to go ahead with the race. I just never settled in, and my chest which had been bothering me meant my breathing was laboured from the start. Struggled until half way till I blew up and shuffled home in 18:50, my slowest 5k in a long time and miles away from the 18:07 I ran a few weeks ago. I was a bit embarrassed going up the finishing line as lots of people knew me as I was crawling at that stage.
    Even though I wasn't feeling 100% I don't think it affected me and I'm very disappointed. I'm starting to think maybe I'm not a good race day performer. I seem to do an awful lot of good training but can never produce the real good results on the day and I can definitely be accused of throwing the towel in to early. I basically give up today at 3k which I don't like and I have done it in other races in the past, giving up when the going gets real tough. It wasn't the easiest day for it but my training partner who is at the same level as me had a much better run in the same conditions. Last June I was sure I would broken 18 minutes by now but it keeps eluding me. Going to have to have a think about things and my training and have a chat with my coach to see what is going wrong.

Apologies for long, 1st world problem, self indulgent, whiny rant!

MYTD: 441

Advertisement