Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

P Conn- Confidence is everything in racing....sometimes reading your log I think you beat yourself before you even get out there... Your training has been good- you have good natural speed. Just go out there and crush it... I think you could surprise yourself w/ how fast you can go if you put the head down and don't think about it...

just my 2 cents

good luck tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

drquirky wrote: »
    P Conn- Confidence is everything in racing....sometimes reading your log I think you beat yourself before you even get out there... Your training has been good- you have good natural speed. Just go out there and crush it... I think you could surprise yourself w/ how fast you can go if you put the head down and don't think about it...

just my 2 cents

good luck tonight

Cheers man, will keep that in mind, I think you're right, sometimes I just need a kick up the arse and to get out there. Thanks for the advice.

So after a long day at work I rocked up at Santry stadium a little early. I couldn't convince any of my long distance clubmates to travel with me so I was on a solo mission tonight! Killed some time watching the Dublin 10,000 champs and when the 200m races started I went for a warm up jog. Turns out there was a lot of 200m races so spent the next 45 mins or so just trying to keep warm. Finally our race was called about an hour after it was billed to start!

The conditions were good, the rain held off and the wind died right down. I was in the D garde and there between 12-15 runners in the race. I was ready for a fast start but was not ready for a slow start, we crawled down the back straight and a glance at my watch told me we were running 6.30 pace!! :eek: We were all bunched up and trying not to trip over ourselves. The pace picked up at last but the first 400m was still slow, about 78 secs. The next lap was not fast either and went through 800m in about 2.35. We were still tripping over ourselves and a few people were getting spiked. At last the pace started to pick up as well went down the finishing straight into the last lap. A the bell I started to work my way towards the front as I was feeling good and as we rounded down the back straight I pushed to the front just behind the leader. This wasn't in the script and I was a bit unsure what to do. With 200 to go I pushed on and tried to make a break but a guy immediately followed me and got ahead. I was now in second tearing down the home straight but the legs were screaming and I could hear footsteps behind me, a guy goes past me and I'm into third. Then just before the line another guy just pips me and I let out an audible "fuck", but the legs just had no reply and I had to settle for 4th. I expected a low time giving the slow start so was quite pleased when I checked the watch to see 4.40 (not official, will check official times tomorrow), a new PB by 14 seconds and 4.55 pace for the mile.

I hobbled over get my bag and watched the next race and the lactic acid was curdling in my legs. Ecoli came up and introduced himself after he ran a cracking race in the C grade and we did a warm down jog, my legs still screaming at me! It's strange talking to people on here and knowing a bit about their training but having no idea what they look like!

Overall it was a great result and I'm very happy, one of my goals for the year was to run 4.40 or under for 1500m so I achieved that and now hope to target 4.30 or under at the Louth Champs. I love this distance too, I think it suits me but my inexperience let me down today when I went a bit too early. But I will learn from that and maybe save my kick until a bit later next time! I also hope to give a mile race a crack soon and get a sub 5 hopefully, I want to tick that box of in the 10 round numbers thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Super run pconn, well done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Excellent stuff, having not done any of these graded meets before, I'd have no clue as to strategy etc so well done on that. Unlucky to get pipped for 3rd, but overall I'm sure you're delighted.
    Great running and nice PB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Savage running, well done. I missed your race as I was too wrecked and had to go home. Keep up the good work !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Nice PB! Well run

RandyMann wrote: »
    Savage running, well done. I missed your race as I was too wrecked and had to go home. Keep up the good work !

Thanks, RM. I think I seen your race. I guessing baldy guy in the Crusaders singlet? You ran very well, it was a hard evening for sprinters, a bit cold and damp. Not bad for middle distance but not good for fast sprinting times. Early in the season so much more to come off that.

Dublin Athletics are worse than precision timing and I seem to have lost two second along the way, they give me 4.42. :confused: Anyway I think there is a much faster time there, the slow start definitely cost me a few seconds as I was very comfortable with a lap to go. Next time I might step up a grade or go to the front earlier and try and drag the pace if the same thing happens again.

Edit: Just seen there was 18 in my race so 4th is a better result than I first thought. :)

pconn062 wrote: »
    Thanks, RM. I think I seen your race. I guessing baldy guy in the Crusaders singlet? You ran very well, it was a hard evening for sprinters, a bit cold and damp. Not bad for middle distance but not good for fast sprinting times. Early in the season so much more to come off that.

Yes that was me :) Thanks, onwards and upwards for us all !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Well done PConn. Given your training and natural speed, a low 4:4x was no problem to you. I ran one 1500 last year and went with the C grade. I think you should definitely do the same. I got dragged around and felt like my lungs were going to rip out of my chest with a lap to go but still managed to finish strong with a low 4:3x. With a faster start, you're well capable of the same. I made the rookie mistake of running most of the race in the second lane though so make sure you get on the inside and let ecoli and the rest of the fast guys do the work!! Should ecoli not have been running in the B grade by the way? Maybe I should go over to his log and ask that question!

Cleanman wrote: »
    Well done PConn. Given your training and natural speed, a low 4:4x was no problem to you. I ran one 1500 last year and went with the C grade. I think you should definitely do the same. I got dragged around and felt like my lungs were going to rip out of my chest with a lap to go but still managed to finish strong with a low 4:3x. With a faster start, you're well capable of the same. I made the rookie mistake of running most of the race in the second lane though so make sure you get on the inside and let ecoli and the rest of the fast guys do the work!! Should ecoli not have been running in the B grade by the way? Maybe I should go over to his log and ask that question!

Cheers man, yeah like you I spent a good bit of the race in lane two as well. Because the pace was so slow everyone was bunched up and fighting for position. I'm running another 1500m next month so will go in Grade C for that one and hopefully will get dragged round to a faster time. How's the injury holding up? Have you any plans to run some track races when you get back? If you ran a low 4.3X 1500m you should def give some a go, you have some good natural talent for the shorter fast stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nice one PConn.. Great to see a race report where things came together for you instead of conspiring against you. Great confidence booster for you. Looks like the middle distance stuff definitely suits you. Well done.

Nice one PConn.. Great to see a race report where things came together for you instead of conspiring against you. Great confidence booster for you. Looks like the middle distance stuff definitely suits you. Well done.

Cheers RFR, long run Sunday morning?

Yeah, most likely.. I was half thinking about goin up to Monaghan for the Blackwater 10k, but it'd take too much out've the day, and I'm still flat out with school. 10ish mile run would suit nicely instead. 10 or so would be nice.... Mrs RFR is shouting over at me, maybe half 10.. :-)

Yeah, most likely.. I was half thinking about goin up to Monaghan for the Blackwater 10k, but it'd take too much out've the day, and I'm still flat out with school. 10ish mile run would suit nicely instead. 10 or so would be nice.... Mrs RFR is shouting over at me, maybe half 10.. :-)

Half ten would suit me better too, I agree with Mrs RFR! I'm looking to do 11 or 12 miles but can do a mile on the track before you arrive.

Mrs RFR reckons its a very wise decision to agree with her.. Can be dangerous otherwise...:mad:. Don't start the party without me, I'm more than happy to do any distance you want, 12 would be lovely. Chat to ya then.

Cheers man, yeah like you I spent a good bit of the race in lane two as well. Because the pace was so slow everyone was bunched up and fighting for position. I'm running another 1500m next month so will go in Grade C for that one and hopefully will get dragged round to a faster time. How's the injury holding up? Have you any plans to run some track races when you get back? If you ran a low 4.3X 1500m you should def give some a go, you have some good natural talent for the shorter fast stuff.

It's harder to position yourself correctly than it looks! It can be very easy to get boxed in if the pace is slow too so you have to be smart about your positioning. Running in lane 2 ain't ideal though. You must be loosing at least a second per lap out there. My own injury is frustrating. It'll be another couple weeks before I'm back to anything. I'd love a go at a few 1500's later in the summer but I'll see how everything goes.

Thursday: 6 miles easy

Few easy miles after the race a friend, body was stiff and sore in a whole load of new places.

Friday: 6 miles easy

Can't really remember this, easy miles in the morning before work.

Saturday: Session 5x1k with 2 mins jog recovery

Splits: 3.34/3.34/3.34/3.35/3.35

This was tough enough. There was a very strong headwind blowing down the back straight of the track which sucked a lot of energy out of us. There was no heroics today and was a case of just trying to keep the splits as steady as possible. Weather sucked.

Sunday: 12.5 miles @ 7.30 pace

Long run with a few club mates this morning. Gorgeous weather and one of only a handful of runs this year where the long sleeved top could be ditched in favour of just a t-shirt. Pace felt nice and handy, we chose a tough old hilly route with lots of sneaky hills so was a good workout, tried to work on my new hill technique as well. Felt good at the end so hopefully these longer runs are helping with my endurance.

A good week then, new 1500m PB, a good session on Sat followed by a long run today. Still keeping up the core work every second day and I can feel it making a difference on these longer runs. Next race is not for a few weeks (Bohermeen 5k) so a few good weeks training to get done now, more weather like today please!

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 7 miles easy

Woke up feeling a but funny and could only manage a bit of breakfast (very unusual for me). Wasn't bad enough to put me off running so I went out anyway. Felt a bit ropey and the stomach didn't feel great and it was hard to get the legs moving, was happy to keep the pace nice and handy and was glad to get it done.

Wednesday: Session 5x800m off 4 mins recovery

Splits: 2.45, 2.40, 2.39, 2.41, 2.43

So I had a set of 800's planned for tonight, I will be repeating this session over the next few weeks with fewer reps and longer recovery while increasing the over all pace. The target for tonight was between 2.35-40 but as soon as I got to the track this plan went out the window. As per usual these days there was a strong wind blowing down the back straight so was a case of trying to run by effort. The first one was too slow in the first 400m as we tried to settle in. After that the next two were a bit more settled, but at the end of the third one I could feel the effects of yesterdays bug and I came very close to throwing up. I said I would just try one more and call it a day but felt a bit better after the fourth one and decided to chance the last one. Wasn't too worried about the pace, just happy to get the full session done. This track stuff is hard and I was fecked at the end of this, track fairies they ain't! The next session like this is 4x800m off 5 mins so hopefully with better conditions I can get the all between 2.30-35.

Will get out for an easy jog tomorrow hopefully and then have a session of 400 reps planned for Friday. Was offered a lift to run the 1500m at the national League on Sunday but I was reminded by my better half that I have a prior engagement at a family party on the same day so that's that plan out the window. My club entered me into the Leinster 1500m on the 2nd of June without asking me so looks like I could be heading to Tullamore for a real race! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 7 miles easy

Woke up feeling a but funny and could only manage a bit of breakfast (very unusual for me). Wasn't bad enough to put me off running so I went out anyway. Felt a bit ropey and the stomach didn't feel great and it was hard to get the legs moving, was happy to keep the pace nice and handy and was glad to get it done.

So I had a set of 800's planned for tonight, I will be repeating this session over the next few weeks with fewer reps and longer recovery while increasing the over all pace. The target for tonight was between 2.35-40 but as soon as I got to the track this plan went out the window. As per usual these days there was a strong wind blowing down the back straight so was a case of trying to run by effort. The first one was too slow in the first 400m as we tried to settle in. After that the next two were a bit more settled, but at the end of the third one I could feel the effects of yesterdays bug and I came very close to throwing up. I said I would just try one more and call it a day but felt a bit better after the fourth one and decided to chance the last one. Wasn't too worried about the pace, just happy to get the full session done. This track stuff is hard and I was fecked at the end of this, track fairies they ain't! The next session like this is 4x800m off 5 mins so hopefully with better conditions I can get the all between 2.30-35.

Will get out for an easy jog tomorrow hopefully and then have a session of 400 reps planned for Friday. Was offered a lift to run the 1500m at the national League on Sunday but I was reminded by my better half that I have a prior engagement at a family party on the same day so that's that plan out the window. My club entered me into the Leinster 1500m on the 2nd of June without asking me so looks like I could be heading to Tullamore for a real race! :eek::eek::eek:

See ya in Tullamore!

RandyMann wrote: »
    See ya in Tullamore!

Yeah you will surely, pretty nervous about it I must admit, bit out of my league but sure we'll give it a bash! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Tough session that. Something similar planned for next week. Not looking forward to it.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Tough session that. Something similar planned for next week. Not looking forward to it.

Yeah it's a tough one alright, made even tougher by the bad conditions. Are you still down for something at the National league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Yeah it's a tough one alright, made even tougher by the bad conditions. Are you still down for something at the National league?

I'm looking foward to hitting the track again, I'm sure it will take several weeks to get back in the groove, it's been so long.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'm looking foward to hitting the track again, I'm sure it will take several weeks to get back in the groove, it's been so long.

The marathon would have given you great strength BB, a few speed sessions on the track and you'll be flying. What's your event on the track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The marathon would have given you great strength BB, a few speed sessions on the track and you'll be flying. What's your event on the track?

Used to be handy at 3k, wasn't fast enough for the 8 and 15.
    Would love to hit sub 5, sub 10 and sub 17:30 on the track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

No. Happy not to be running. Good luck yourself.

Thursday: 7 miles easy

Had no watch for this so no idea of pace but I felt good and was ticking along nicely.

Friday: Session: 10x400m off 2 mins recovery

Splits: 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 73, 73

Into the track this evening after work for this and mercifully the wind had died down and it made for pretty good running conditions. There were a few other groups on the track but I was doing these on my own. The plan was to take slightly longer recovery but keep them all under 75 which is roughly my mile pace at the minute I reckon. Luckily I tuned into the pace fairly quickly and during each one I would check my watch at 200m and would be bang on 37. Managed to maintain good form throughout and the 2 mins recovery allowed for good recovery to continue hitting the splits. Stomach started to act up during the 8th rep but kept it together and got it done. Cooled down with half a mile very slow jog and lots of stretching. A good session and I reckon I could give a sub 5 mile a crack now, just need to find a race!

Still not sure if I'm running the national league on Sunday, will just do a short recovery run tomorrow in case. If not I'll a long run Sunday.

• Advertisement

Thursday: 7 miles easy

Had no watch for this so no idea of pace but I felt good and was ticking along nicely.

Friday: Session: 10x400m off 2 mins recovery

Splits: 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 73, 73

Into the track this evening after work for this and mercifully the wind had died down and it made for pretty good running conditions. There were a few other groups on the track but I was doing these on my own. The plan was to take slightly longer recovery but keep them all under 75 which is roughly my mile pace at the minute I reckon. Luckily I tuned into the pace fairly quickly and during each one I would check my watch at 200m and would be bang on 37. Managed to maintain good form throughout and the 2 mins recovery allowed for good recovery to continue hitting the splits. Stomach started to act up during the 8th rep but kept it together and got it done. Cooled down with half a mile very slow jog and lots of stretching. A good session and I reckon I could give a sub 5 mile a crack now, just need to find a race!

Still not sure if I'm running the national league on Sunday, will just do a short recovery run tomorrow in case. If not I'll a long run Sunday.
    That's a super session to get 10 of those done. You're definitely in sub 5 territory now.

Advertisement