Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nice session PConn. Looking forward to joining you for Wednesday sessions again. Best of luck if you go racing sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Cleanman wrote: »
    That's a super session to get 10 of those done. You're definitely in sub 5 territory now.

Cheers man, hopefully will give a mile race a crack soon. Hope you're holding up OK, your patience will be rewarded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I look at those times with jealousy! Maybe next year ........

I look at those times with jealousy! Maybe next year ........

You won't have to wait that long RK, me and you are around the same level at the minute, I just happen to be focusing on the shorter stuff at the moment. Track season next year........? ;)

Saturday: 5 mile recovery run

Gorgeous sunny morning, headed down along the beach before remembering that the Port beach tri was on. I ran into a sea of middle aged, mid life crisis men and women squeezed into slightly too tight lycra, not a pretty sight. :pac: Kept the pace very slow as the legs were stiff after Friday nights session.

Sunday: 11 miles

Family thing meant I couldn't make it up to the national league unfortunately so met up with a few of the lads for a long run. They are only coming back and only doing eight miles so I tacked on a few miles before they arrived. The pace started quite slow but we picked it up nicely as we went along.

A good week overall, got my mileage up to the mid forties and got two good sessions done, will try and do the same this week and hopefully will make it down for the 1500m at the Leinster champs next Sunday.

• Advertisement

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 7 miles with 1 mile easy, 5 steady, 1 easy

Continuing with my effort to try and include at least one steady run a week I decided to get it out of the way early in the week. The pace was still too slow to really call in my steady pace, did the 5 miles in about 34 mins, around 6.55 pace. I hope to decrease the length of these runs but increase the pace, maybe starting with three miles @ around 6.30-40 pace and then gradually increase the distance. Still a good run and the effort was quite low.

Wednesday: Session: 2x2 mile tempo with 3 min recovery

Splits: First 2 miles 6.10 avg, 2nd 2 miles 6.08 avg

Into the track for this and had a tempo run planned, wanted to get one more done before the track work starts proper. Was a gorgeous evening and conditions were good, planned pace was around 6.15 but the first 2 mile was quicker than that and we were both feeling good. 3 mins rec and we started into the second one, the effort started a little earlier this time and the last five miles tough but manageable, although we were working hard on the last 800m. Very happy with how it went, the pace felt comfortably hard, just how it should. I still hate tempos though!

Thursday: 5 miles easy

Woke up today with a bit of a sore calf, out of the blue, not major sore but uncomfortable. By coincidence I had a massage booked with my physio for the afternoon so he had a good look and it and moved and prodded it. Luckily nothing he did caused any pain so he said it was just a bit of lingering fatigue. After a very strenuous and painful rub he said to just play it by ear. It was quite sore straight after the rub but after a short easy run it felt much better. Something to keep and eye on for the next few days and it might put me out of the Leinsters at the weekend, will have to see. Would be a bit of a shame but my eye is still on the main goal, the Louth champs in six weeks time.

Friday: Session: 2x (400m, 600m, 400m, 200m)

Splits: (74, 1:52, 74, 30) 5 mins rest (73, 1:54, 74, 31)

I really started to question my staunch atheism this morning when I woke up and my calf was completely pain free, I think my physio is my new God! Meant I could go ahead with my planned session at the track tonight. The plan was to do the 400's and 600's at 1500m pace and the 200's at 800m pace. Had my brother for company on this, he was a 1-2 secs behind me on each rep. This was a tough aul session, we probably slightly overcooked it on the first set, especially the 200m. For the rest we walked a lap of the track, the stomach was quite dodge feeling, a bit nauseous but this can happen with hard track sessions. The second set was actually a bit better, felt more controlled and even on the last 200m the pace felt more manageable, the difference a second can make! Will have to see how the legs feel tomorrow before deciding if I will run Sunday, that was a hard session today so will play it by ear, don't want to overdo it.

Saturday: 5 miles very easy

Sunday: Leinster Champs 1500m

4:38, 5th senior

No time for a long report as beers with a friend are calling! Good race, legs a bit tired from session on Friday. Conditions were good but the field was too spread to drag me too a great time, ran most on my own apart from last 300m. Still a 4 second PB from 3 weeks ago and a decent finishing position. Sub 4.30 is there I feel, just need a few more weeks training. Now, beers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done on the PB and 5th place. More time to come off that again I'm sure. Such is your dedication you're even putting in some beer mile training :pac:

beeduybe wrote: »
    Well done on the PB and 5th place. More time to come off that again I'm sure. Such is your dedication you're even putting in some beer mile training :pac:

Thanks beeduybe, if I'm honest the beer training last night was tough but I pushed through and I can definitely feel the effects of my training this morning! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

pconn062 wrote: »
    Saturday: 5 miles very easy

Sunday: Leinster Champs 1500m

4:38, 5th senior

No time for a long report as beers with a friend are calling! Good race, legs a bit tired from session on Friday. Conditions were good but the field was too spread to drag me too a great time, ran most on my own apart from last 300m. Still a 4 second PB from 3 weeks ago and a decent finishing position. Sub 4.30 is there I feel, just need a few more weeks training. Now, beers!

Nice PB! missed your race as I was well tired after my 200 and I was zoned out :) Keep up the good work, you are flying

I had a bit of a problem last Thursday with my calf but luckily I had a massage booked for that day and he said there was no real damage and the pain was completely gone the next morning. I trained on Friday and Saturday with no issues, and I decided then that I should be fine to race on Sunday which I did. The race went fine but while walking to the car I noticed the back of my left calf was a bit tender, there was no sudden pop or snap, just a tender spot. Didn't really notice it for the rest of Sunday but yesterday morning it was quite sore and I jogged a mile very slow and it was quite tender. Has been sore since and is quite uncomfortable to walk on, gets very stiff after sitting down for a while. Did 40 mins on a stationary bike this morning to try and loosen it out which helped but I definitely could not run on it. So here I am, have a massage booked for tomorrow but will see what my physio says, I'm thinking a grade 1 or 2 strain or tear but will wait and see, there was no sudden sharp pain or tear so maybe it's not a strain or tear at all. No more running for the time being anyway which is a real shame as I was hitting good shape. Won't try and guess the outcome but I'm predicting 10-14 days off based on the pain level.

I think the track work is the issue, I didn't get injured once last year training for the road but as soon as I started on the track this year I have been picking up lots of little niggles and my knee started acting up again and now this. Will wait and see what happens but might have to readjust the plan if the track is going to do this much damage. Will report back after the physio tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

It's pretty common to pick up injuries when you change your training focus. This is just your body telling you it needs more time to adapt. I hope the prognosis is optimistic, I'd imagine you'll be back in no time.

Being injured sucks liathróidí!

It's pretty common to pick up injuries when you change your training focus. This is just your body telling you it needs more time to adapt. I hope the prognosis is optimistic, I'd imagine you'll be back in no time.

Being injured sucks liathróidí!

It sure does man, was just reading your log there and you're being very patient with your injury, I hope I can be as smart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Re track work, I always run my warm and warm down clockwise to balance things out a bit.
    If you think about it a long track session with wu and wd could mean 30+ laps in the one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hard luck pconn. You have been doing some savage track work recently. Tough on the calves. You seem to be sensible about it and there was no direct trauma so hopefully youll ge back on the road soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

It sure does man, was just reading your log there and you're being very patient with your injury, I hope I can be as smart!

Me, patient? hah! It might seem that way, but that's because I haven't posted about my idiotic carry-on over the weekend!

I did some strides on Sunday, got up to maybe 80% and left it at that. Then went to the gym on Monday morning and, despite it feeling stiff, decided to do a load of leg exercises regardless. It was pretty sore on Monday night, sore yesterday, and a little better this morning.

I told my coach last week that I'd be able to train this week, so he won't be too happy when I tell him I can't do too much this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Bad luck pconn. Keep the head up, sometimes injurie lay-offs are as good as constant training. Give your body a change to recover and repair, and you'll not lose much ground really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Hard luck on the injury. I am on the sidelines also with achilles trouble. Calf went on me last September. I went to a guy in Dundalk who does "dry needling" and from looking like a medium term injury, I was back in 7-10 days. If I were you, I would go. I really recommend him. Just letting you know.

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Hard luck on the injury. I am on the sidelines also with achilles trouble. Calf went on me last September. I went to a guy in Dundalk who does "dry needling" and from looking like a medium term injury, I was back in 7-10 days. If I were you, I would go. I really recommend him. Just letting you know.

Cheers Niall, I'm just back from my physio there. He said it doesn't look like a strain or a pull but rather a build of stuff on the outside of the calf, caused by running on the track. He did a very painful deep tissue massage and said I should be good to get back jogging at the start of next week. If I'm still having problems I will send you a PM and get that guys name of you. How's your injury, are you on the mend? I've never had achilles problems, has a physio had a look at it?

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Re track work, I always run my warm and warm down clockwise to balance things out a bit.
    If you think about it a long track session with wu and wd could mean 30+ laps in the one direction.

Really interesting BB, this is the one thing my physio highlighted as a possible cause. Any niggles I get always seem to be on my left leg, and obviously running 20-30 laps in the one direction is going to put extra stress on that side. Must keep that in mind from now on.

Cheers Niall, I'm just back from my physio there. He said it doesn't look like a strain or a pull but rather a build of stuff on the outside of the calf, caused by running on the track. He did a very painful deep tissue massage and said I should be good to get back jogging at the start of next week. If I'm still having problems I will send you a PM and get that guys name of you. How's your injury, are you on the mend? I've never had achilles problems, has a physio had a look at it?

It literally appeared out of nowhere. Never had an achilles injury ever. Did 12x400M 2 weeks ago on a Friday and an easy 6 mile saturday. Then on the Sunday, it was just sore. I could not run all of last week and out til now. I have been recommended Danny Millar in Drogheda. Going to him in the morning. I was targeting 34.40 ish in Dunshaughlin via Bohermeen this week but that is all gone now. I was ticking along lovely and ran 35.10 well within myself in the Coast Run 10k 3 weeks ago so that is the annoying bit but as the say "there is always someone worse off". I am hoping this guy works wonders tomorrow. I can handle a 2 week break but anything after that will be annoying.

It literally appeared out of nowhere. Never had an achilles injury ever. Did 12x400M 2 weeks ago on a Friday and an easy 6 mile saturday. Then on the Sunday, it was just sore. I could not run all of last week and out til now. I have been recommended Danny Millar in Drogheda. Going to him in the morning. I was targeting 34.40 ish in Dunshaughlin via Bohermeen this week but that is all gone now. I was ticking along lovely and ran 35.10 well within myself in the Coast Run 10k 3 weeks ago so that is the annoying bit but as the say "there is always someone worse off". I am hoping this guy works wonders tomorrow. I can handle a 2 week break but anything after that will be annoying.

That's bad luck Niall, Bohermeen is off the cards for me too. Hopefully the physio will be able to sort you out fairly quick and you can get back on the road. There will be other 10k's I'm sure where you can give 34.30 a bash.

That's bad luck Niall, Bohermeen is off the cards for me too. Hopefully the physio will be able to sort you out fairly quick and you can get back on the road. There will be other 10k's I'm sure where you can give 34.30 a bash.

I will be on complete rest 2 weeks this Saturday and have been advised to take another 2 full weeks (achilles tendonitis). I think (for a change) I will listen to a physio and recover properly. Looking at a late June comeback then a 4 week training plan to regain fitness so realistically I am looking at races in August. Annoying, but cest la vie. Good luck with your recovery.

I will be on complete rest 2 weeks this Saturday and have been advised to take another 2 full weeks (achilles tendonitis). I think (for a change) I will listen to a physio and recover properly. Looking at a late June comeback then a 4 week training plan to regain fitness so realistically I am looking at races in August. Annoying, but cest la vie. Good luck with your recovery.

Ah that's a shame, two weeks is not long though. Plenty of good races in August, Glenmore 5k, hopefully you get back on the road ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Really interesting BB, this is the one thing my physio highlighted as a possible cause. Any niggles I get always seem to be on my left leg, and obviously running 20-30 laps in the one direction is going to put extra stress on that side. Must keep that in mind from now on.

I've gone one further and done some work outs in the opposite direction. Jogging the other way is good, but you wouldn't stress the same muscle groups. I use to have big problems with my left glute (from a bike accident afew yrs bck, the physio said it was still very weak, and as a result of all the laps the correct way I wasn't building it up. I'm certainly stronger on the bends instead of the straight as a result ha!

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've gone one further and done some work outs in the opposite direction. Jogging the other way is good, but you wouldn't stress the same muscle groups. I use to have big problems with my left glute (from a bike accident afew yrs bck, the physio said it was still very weak, and as a result of all the laps the correct way I wasn't building it up. I'm certainly stronger on the bends instead of the straight as a result ha!

Good idea man, will def give that a go, can't wait to see the looks I get flying round the track in the wrong direction!

So haven't run a step since Monday, went to physio and he said he didn't think it was anything serious, maybe a slight strain. So I decided to rest it for the week, got a very painful deep tissue massage and it's felt better every day since then. Have done a few 40 minute session on the bike just to get some movement and heat into the calf and kept up my core work. Today is the first day it felt completely back to normal and I'm thinking of chancing a very easy run on the grass tomorrow.
    Headed over this evening to the Bohermeen 5k to support my brother (who ran a great race to get a new PB) and to take some photos. I deliberately did not bring runners with me as I knew as soon as I got over I would be mad to run. I love this race and it was a deadly evening for running. Was tough standing on the sideline but hopefully can get back into some training next week. Great win by David McCarthy who destroyed the rest of the field.

I decided to do a tester run today to try out the calf. There are no parks or anything out here in the sticks so finding grass was an issue. Headed over to the local football pitches to do laps there, each laps was about .4 of a mile. Was very warm but took it nice and easy, starting at recovery pace and very gently winding it up. Calf felt fine, no twinges or anything, kept the run nice and short stopping after three miles or so. Still not fully out of the woods with this I think so will be a case of taking it handy for the next while, will stick to the grass for this week anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

+1 on the grass

My calf problem was not as bad as yours but a break from the track helped.

Before you do a track session, try some easy strides on grass first.

Good things come etc.

Advertisement