Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Alright, that sounds like a good compromise.. I'll get back to you in a couple of hours to see if that time suits, should be fine though.. Cheers. Runners or Spikes?

I presume this is a joke, but seriously, you don't need spikes you big sissy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Right, I'm the sissy, says the lad who thinks anything over 7 miles qualifies as a long run, and breaks up 'tempo' sessions into 10 minute chunks with a break for a cup of tea between them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Right, I'm the sissy, says the lad who thinks anything over 7 miles qualifies as a long run, and breaks up 'tempo' sessions into 10 minute chunks with a break for a cup of tea between them..

.....and let's not forget the arm warmers :).

Ah jeez, now the marathon runners are ganging up on me, KU I thought you were a real runner now and stopped all that marathon jogging nonsense?! ;)

And I happen to think my arm warmers are very flattering!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ah jeez, now the marathon runners are ganging up on me, KU I thought you were a real runner now and stopped all that marathon jogging nonsense?! ;)

And I happen to think my arm warmers are very flattering!

Just so we're all reading off the same hymn sheet:

RFR's Half Marathon Pace = KU's MP = PConn's what now? ;)

• Advertisement

Sunday: 8 miles @ 7.25 pace

Met up with RFR for this and we righted the wrongs of the world, discussed where he went wrong in Chicago ;), and devised a tactical plan for the Louth seniors. We were both quite heavy legged towards the end and glad to be done just as the rain started pouring down. My legs had that DOMS feeling this morning when I woke up after yesterdays run.

So another week ticked off, 50 miles done. Not as much as I hoped for but given how my leg felt on Monday I'm glad to get that much in. We have a good team entered for the Leinster novice next weekend so going to try and put in a good week this week before easing down the following week.

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 9 miles @ 7.24 pace

On the road for this, felt good during the run (more on this later)

Wednesday

AM: 2 miles easy
    PM: 8 miles w/session

Session: 6 mins, 7 mins, 8 mins, 9 mins hard w/2 mins recovery between each one.

Good session this, recommended by my coach. The idea is that it gets harder as you go on and the reps get longer, so you work harder towards the end like in a race. We averaged between 5.55-6:00 minute pace for the hard sections. This pace felt "comfortably hard" and I never went into the red zone. Had that nice tired but satisfied feeling you get at the end of a good session like this.

Thursday: 7 miles @ 8.22 pace

Recovery run, legs felt great and really struggled to run this slow

Friday: 7 miles @ 7.28 pace

This was the opposite of yesterdays run and I felt a bit tired, legs felt heavy. Had planned to do 8-9 miles but cut it back with the race this weekend.

Saturday: 4 miles @ 7.55 pace

So I am running the Leintser novice cross country tomorrow, after all the rain this week I am not expecting it to be pretty but that's part of the "fun" with cross country. My friend is not helping me by telling me it's "the wettest field in Ireland!" We have a team going up to it from the club which is good and I'm looking forward to it.

On another note, after Tuesdays run I had the strangest pain I've ever experienced. The second toe beside the big toe on my left foot was absolutely killing me. I was hobbling for the rest of the day, it really was very painful. I was worried I broke it or something. Did the two mile easy run on Wednesday morning to test it out as I was convinced it was fecked and I would be out for a while. It actually felt better on the run than when walking. During the session that night once it loosened out it was fine. But it has continued to be there since, niggling at me when I walk and before I get warmed up on a run. Very strange, the pain is localised to that single toe. Might go see the physio next week and see what he says, couldn't get into him this week with all the marathons runners booking him up.

Anyway, will be fine to race, looking forward to it. It's the battle between myself and RFR, and although we are in the same club, it won't be pretty. :cool: (seriously, I haven't a hope against him though!).

I better ease back on the wine here if I'm to keep this perfect record going!! You'd have killed me in a race last weekend, think I'm recovered now nearly.. Looking forward to a good dual, you look in the best shape you've ever been in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Wine?? Pfft!!! Name Tag Classic all the way!

blockic wrote: »
    Wine?? Pfft!!! Name Tag Classic all the way!

couldn't source it!! Look, it passed the test of a prepubescent blockic stomach, wasn't too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

couldn't source it!! Look, it passed the test of a prepubescent blockic stomach, wasn't too bad

Dutch or Karpackie would be similar alternatives!

I better ease back on the wine here if I'm to keep this perfect record going!! You'd have killed me in a race last weekend, think I'm recovered now nearly.. Looking forward to a good dual, you look in the best shape you've ever been in..

I'm in good shape, but I'm not in 2.50 marathon shape! You just keep lashing that wine into you, you deserve it, treat yourself! ;) Checked the weather, 70-90 km/h winds for tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck tomorrow PConn. I'll be down supporting so I'll give you a shout.

Best of luck tomorrow PConn. I'll be down supporting so I'll give you a shout.

Cheers Kiely, myself and RFR will be wearing Dunleer AC singlets! Bring a pair of wellies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Enjoy your XC.

Doing the same myself in a while.
    Hoping there is so much rain the muck will wash itself off.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Enjoy your XC.

Doing the same myself in a while.
    Hoping there is so much rain the muck will wash itself off.

Cheers DL, hope you have a good one too. I'm more concerned about this wind to be honest, the only thing is it might blow the course dry!

RFR has recently mocked some of the shorter race reports on here by some of the cross country/track runners so I thought I would give a bit more detail for this one.

Traveled up with RFR and another clubmate and between the three of us we just managed to find the place. We then spent a rather uncomfortable 20 minutes sitting in a steamy car giving a very bad impression to any passer by's! Eventually the rain eased off and we went into the grounds. A quick warm up told us that the ground was in muck, very little grass and lots of mud, but almost completely flat. Then they announced the start of the race suddenly so after a quick change we dashed towards the line. A quick look around and I could see very few "slow" looking runners and I was feeling nervous. I love cross country running but I know I am weak on ground like this, I like fast, firm, flat courses but this was Ireland and that doesn't happen too often.

Off we went and I tucked in behind RFR, straight away it felt fast but a quick look behind at the first bend told me I was only about 10 places from last! :eek: I am not familiar with being near the back of the pack in road races but this was a different league. I found the going tough and the constant wind was wearing me down, by the end of the first 2k lap I was wrecked but was maintaining my pace and made up a few places. RFR was about 20 meters ahead of me so I kept chasing.
    Halfway through the second lap I was feeling just OK and passed my other clubmate here, kept swapping positions with a few guys from Rathfarnham. Got a few shouts from someone who I later figured out must be KU (much appreciated!). Into the last lap and I was struggling, legs were heavy and the constant uneven, muddy ground was killing my legs. You are constantly struggling to find good ground to run on and this is just as exhausting as the actual running. I knew I couldn't catch RFR but with 600m to go I put on a push to clear away from two guys. Into the finishing straight and to my horror I could hear 3 guys bearing down on me. I really didn't want to have to sprint but I knew I had to and pushed as hard as I could for the line. I was fried at the end, checked the watch which said 23:45. Talked to RFR who looked as bad as I felt and he confirmed that race was tougher than his marathon in Chicago. A quick change, some tea and biscuits and we were in the car on the way home.

So not a great race from me, but not bad either. Over a minute and a half slower than the 22:15 I ran in the Louth Novice a few weeks ago but the conditions aren't even slightly comparable. I just don't have the strength (yet) to run really well on this ground but it's a gradual process and glad with how I ran on my first Leinster novice. I feel like I am in good road racing shape at the minute and I'm certainly hoping for better conditions in the Louth senior next weekend (10k! :eek:). I'm away for a few days this week so will be a case of just getting out when I can, nothing I do this week is going to help me next weekend anyway.

Hope this is long enough RFR. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done P...lovely XC conditions out there today. I loved the conditions just not the race :D Had a mare myself, no where near race fit unfortunately as those conditions are perfect for me.

10K. Ouch!

Well done P...lovely XC conditions out there today. I loved the conditions just not the race :D Had a mare myself, no where near race fit unfortunately as those conditions are perfect for me.

10K. Ouch!

Bad luck RQ, you're a tougher one than me, I find those conditions very tough to run in. Hopefully you will get back on the horse soon, still loads of x-country races left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Huayra

Good work. Races like today will make you much tougher. It was a character building day for sure. Shame I missed you again, i remember seeing a few dunleer lads during the race but it wasn't the best time for a friendly chat. Funny how everyone was cramming into the tents, the rain was a real air raid. But in Stamullen it was hot and sunny, and they had the icecream van :eek:

• Advertisement

Monday: 3 miles

The legs were absolutely fried after the race. Spent the day at the Dublin marathon cheering on loads of people I knew. Had to meet my friend at the 23 mile to give him a gel so jogged out to meet him, I then ran about 1.5 miles with him to get me back to grand canal bridge. His marathon pace was 5:35-40 pace so this didn't help the legs and was glad to stop. How he can string 26 miles together at that pace I don't know! Really enjoyed the day (I also took about 600 photos, think I have some of several boardsies: TRR, Krusty, KU, claralara, tunguska, ecoli, smmoore, ultrapercy and possibly some more. I don't want to upload them here but if anyone wants one then just PM me, they're free of course! :)).

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 7.24 pace

Heading away to the west for a few days so did 7 miles before I left. Felt pretty awful for the first few miles but got much better as I went on.

Wednesday: 6.2 miles

Did a run on the treadmill in the hotel, to break up the monotony I did a bit of a hill session using one of the programmes. Pretty tough going and worked up a good sweat by the end.

Travelling all day today so won't get a run in, really just a case of ticking over until Sunday. Pretty anxious about this race, 10k is long for a cross country race, I'm hoping the ground is reasonably dry or it could be a 40 minute sufferfest!

Thursday: Off

Friday: 7 miles @ 7.14 pace

Felt good for most of this although the breathing was a bit laboured.

Saturday: 3.5 miles easy

Leg shaker before the race tomorrow.

Sunday: Louth Senior Cross Country

Sorry RFR, I'm returning to my short reports, I'm too lazy! :pac:

38:22, 27th place

Not the best run today, the key details:

My lace came untied 500m into the race and I stopped to tie it, despite my coach shouting at me not to panic I tore off trying to make up ground. Came untied again in the second lap but I just left it. Overcooked it at the start and I suffered badly from 4-8k, really wanted to drop out. Got passed by 4 guys during this section which really sickened me. Got a bit of a second wind on the last lap but it was too late and I cruised in on my own, too far away from anyone to catch them.

So that's it, bit of a disappointing day from the clubs perspective, we usually win the senior title most years but injury left us very short on numbers this year. But we will be back for next year.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now, my last two cross country races were a bit disappointing so I want to hit a road race or two and determine what shape I am in, as it's quite hard to tell from cross country results. I had intended on taking a few weeks off but might keep ticking away, considering hitting a park run in a few weeks to give a 5k a lash. Will talk to the coach and form a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I reckon with all the strength you've built up over the last couple of months, there'd be a great 5k in you Pconn. You should def give a park run a go if you're thinking along those lines.

Cleanman wrote: »
    I reckon with all the strength you've built up over the last couple of months, there'd be a great 5k in you Pconn. You should def give a park run a go if you're thinking along those lines.

Cheers man, yeah I hope to give a few 5k's a bash soon. I see you are doing Jingle Bells 5k, hope to do that one as well so hopefully we can put some faces to the usernames!

I was absolutely shattered after the race on Sunday, so much so that I was in bed before 10pm! Tired all day Monday too, it really took it out of me so glad to have the day off.

Tuesday: 6 miles @ 7.32 pace

I had intended on taking a break after the senior race for a week or two but after talking to the coach we decided to keep going for a few weeks until after the Jingle Bells 5k (where the pconn/RFR showdown will take place). So going to try and put in a few more good weeks and hit that race and maybe a parkrun as well. This run was nice and easy, kept the pace very slow at the start before pushing on with two 6.50 miles at the end, taking advantage of the nice downhill.

Wednesday

AM: 3 miles easy
    PM: 6 miles w/8x600m off 1 min jog recovery

Nice easy leg loosener in the morning, again took it real handy and the body is getting back to normal after the race (at last).

Out to the track then tonight for the session, fecking cold out there! We had an easy session planned, nothing too strenuous this week. We took these nice and steady, around about 5k pace (5.40 a mile). Hit all the reps between 2.04-2.09, stretched out the legs for the last one, hitting 1.55. Nice session and it's great to have the group to share the work load with. Actually turned out to be a lovely evening for running, once you didn't have to hang around at the end. The plan is to keep it easy now for the rest of the week, will try and get a decent long run in on Sunday.

I'm looking forward to a few road races now, really want to see where I am at the minute, would hope to be in 17:4X 5k shape at least but will depend on getting a good day. Looking forward to a few good blow outs.

Thursday: 7 miles @ 8.25 pace

Very easy recovery run on grass. The legs were a little stiff after the track session so this was the perfect antidote.

Friday

AM: 4.5 miles @ 7.55 pace
    PM: 2.5 miles easy @ 7.56

Two more easy runs, up at the crack of dawn for first one, was still dark. I almost never run this early and the body was very creaky, couldn't get the pace up at all so kept it very easy. The evening run was on the treadmill when I got home from work, meant to do more but I was starving and was unable to resist my waiting dinner!

Saturday: 7 miles @ 7.39 pace

There really is not evening left anymore, finished work early around 4pm but was still nearly dark when I got out. Brought the torch with me and despite the freezing cold and nasty rain shower I really enjoyed this run. There is something oddly strange (and a little spooky) about running around deserted little country roads in the dark.

So not much to report, just getting the miles in. Have a long run planned with a few of the lads in the morning, going to do 12-13 miles to bring me up to 50 for the week. Itching to do a road race so might see what's on next weekend, would love a 5k or 4 mile.

Sunday: 13 miles @ 7.35 pace

Met with the brother for this, absolutely glorious winters morning out there, crisp and fresh with lovely winters sunshine. Did a nice route with some testing hilly sections, started off nice and slow and then help a steady 7.20/30 pace. Legs are tired now and a bit stiff, probably down to the hills on the run.

So another week ticked off with 50 miles in the tank. Hoping to keep the mileage around this mark, maybe hitting 55 miles next week, until the Jingle bells 5k (if I ever get around to entering). Myself and RFR are going on the tear in Dublin that night so that will signal the beginning of a little break! ;) Enjoyed this weeks training so a few more weeks like this and I'll be ready for a few road races.

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 7.29 pace

Nice easy run on the grass, felt the same as I feel on a lot of my easy runs now, crap at the start but really good when I get warmed up. Had fun splashing around in the hill field.

Wednesday

AM: 3 miles @ 7.15 pace
    PM: 6 miles 5x1k off 90 secs recovery

Splits: 3.33, 3.32, 3.30, 3.32, 3.27

Eugh, nasty evening for it; wet, windy and freezing cold. A good evening for sitting front of the fire, not a good evening for running laps around a track. Our group is getting bigger so plenty of guys to share the work with. The plan was 85 second laps, so 5.40 a mile (about 5k pace). Despite the howling wind down the back straight I felt good doing these. The first four felt comfortably hard, and the last one "uncomfortably hard" as we strided out a bit. Happy with this, snooping around for a 5k somewhere at the weekend, something low key before the Jingle Bells in a few weeks. Might hit up a parkrun, maybe St. Annes. Decisions, decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

St Annes is certainly the fastest of the Dublin based Parkruns...

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    St Annes is certainly the fastest of the Dublin based Parkruns...

That's what I've heard, closest to me as well I think. Will see what the weather is giving, I'm a fair weather runner!

Advertisement