Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Thursday: 7 miles @ 8.22 pace

Real easy recovery run on the grass, legs felt great during and after this and was struggling to keep the pace slow.

Friday: 6 miles @ 7.12 pace w/6 strides

On the roads for this, was to get the legs ticking over so did a few strides during the run. The exact measurement of each stride was "the distance between two telephone poles"! Nice effort and if it wasn't for work I would have kept going!

Saturday

St. Anne's Parkrun:
    17:45

Sub 18 at last, thank Christ for that! Woke up in two minds whether to go or not, once I looked outside and seen that it was a nice morning I decided to give it a lash. Arrived about 9 and sussed the place out, lovely park and did a short warm up. A pretty good number turned up for the race, more than I expected to be honest. After a brief set of instructions we were led around the corner and we were off. The pace was quite slow at the start and two guys pulled away, I stayed with the second group but glanced at the watch after 400m or so and seen 6.00 pace, I hadn't come up to run 18:30 so ventured out on my own. It's a two lap course with a long straight at the end of each lap.
    Was about 5 meters behind the guys and by the end of the first lap I was working hard, thinking this pace wasn't sustainable. At halfway one of the volunteers called out 8.53. Now the mental battled began, I was suffering but was willing to suffer a bit more. Down one of the narrow paths and the wind was strong enough here, gritting the teeth. Onto the long avenue and I glanced at the watch, 5.50 pace, that's not going to do it. Focused on trying to catch the guys in front and I was in the hurt zone now, really suffering. This avenue is sooooo long and mentally very tough, Can't catch the guys in front and I think 18 minutes is gone, with 400m to go I push again but the effort causes me to come close to heaving so no choice but to back off until the last 100m when I sprinted as hard as I could. Done. Heaved my way down the finishing chute, delighted with the result (17:45 by watch, will check results later, 3rd place).

Great event, fair play to all the organisers, it's a great initiative. I would like to take a few seconds off that in the Jingle Bells 5k if I can, maybe having a bigger crowd around me would help.

Going to do a few mile easy later on to shake out the legs, and a long run planned for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Nice running. You were due . I'd say you'll knock a good bit off that at JB

drquirky wrote: »
    Nice running. You were due . I'd say you'll knock a good bit off that at JB

Cheers dr.q, good run yourself, it's coming together for you. Hopefully PB's all round in a few weeks.

Saturday PM: 3 miles @ 8.15 pace

Couple more easy miles after the race to loosen the legs out, felt much better after it.

Sunday: 12.5 miles @ 7.36 pace

Enthusiasm was low for this if I'm honest. The legs were tired and weather was not pleasant, misty rain and grey skies. Our group of 5 became a group of 3 and we set off on the same loop as last week. Actually felt good when I got going and the miles ticked along nicely, legs only started complaining on the last half a mile uphill back to the club rooms.

So another decent week in the bag, topped off with a nice 5k PB. 3 weeks until the next race, the JB 5k. Two more good weeks training and then a "taper" week should leave us in good stead. Good crew from the club heading up so really looking forward to it, would like to think I could run in the 17:30's but all depends on the day. That will be the last race of the year for me (apart from maybe the goal mile or something) so looking forward to a few easy weeks after that race. Work will be crazy at that time anyway so no harm in reducing the mileage down.

Weekly mileage: 50.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Can't believe its your first time sub-18, well done, push on from here.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    Can't believe its your first time sub-18, well done, push on from here.

Ha, I know, I'm a bit of a slow starter! Here's hoping it doesn't take as long to get sub 17! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great running, well done on the PB.
    That's really putting It up to me now!

Great running, well done on the PB.
    That's really putting It up to me now!

Thanks, it took me bloody long enough! If you're doing jingle bells, I don't think we will be far from each other. Nothing like a good rivalry! ;)

Doing it all right, it's the day after my Christmas Party :) - I suspect the sub 18 will wait til the summer

Doing it all right, it's the day after my Christmas Party :) - I suspect the sub 18 will wait til the summer

Getting the excuses in early, I like your style! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd just like to point out that I have a christmas party the night before and a training session in Athlone - followed by another party - the day after. Maybe it's time for the old "only doing it as a tempo run" line to make an appearance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

RayCun wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that I have a christmas party the night before and a training session in Athlone - followed by another party - the day after. Maybe it's time for the old "only doing it as a tempo run" line to make an appearance :)

The "tempo run" line should be banned from this forum IMO. You either run the race as a race or don't bother lol

drquirky wrote: »
    The "tempo run" line should be banned from this forum IMO. You either run the race as a race or don't bother lol

Plus we all know a 5k tempo ain't worth shit! ;)

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 7.37 pace

Easy run on the grass, took it nice and easy at the start because the legs were tired after the weekends efforts. Picked it up a bit when I got into the hill field towards the end, cold though!

Wednesday: Session 5x1k off 75 seconds recovery

Splits: 3.38, 3.33, 3.31, 3.35, 3.36

A truly horrendous evening for training, and this was a tough session. Absolutely freezing cold with shocking winds for 200m of each lap. Plan was for the same session as last week, but with 15 seconds less recovery. Splits were a touch slower than last week but we think the wind was worth about 4 seconds a kilometer, it was truly shocking. I started suffering on the third rep and I just wasn't willing to push through the pain tonight. Still had a little heaviness in the legs from the race at the weekend. Overall it's still a good session considering the conditions but it was hard work. Another one in the bag all the same.

I might do another light session on Saturday depending on how I feel, maybe a few hills. I have a bit of stiffness in my shin which I think is being caused by a tight calf so will try and loosen it out and play it by ear. Easy running for a few days now, might go shopping for a few more thermal layers. The problem with weighing a little over 10 stone means I haven't much fat for insulation! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Nice one PConn, just catching up on your log. Great run in parkrun. With some company and a net downhill course in the JB, 17:30's is difinitely achievable. All the mileage is starting to pay dividends.

Cleanman wrote: »
    Nice one PConn, just catching up on your log. Great run in parkrun. With some company and a net downhill course in the JB, 17:30's is difinitely achievable. All the mileage is starting to pay dividends.

Thanks Cleanman, looking forward to giving JB 5k a lash alright, will you be there yourself? How's that ankle?

Thursday: 7 miles @ 8.36 pace

Very easy recovery run on grass, just could not get the legs moving for this. Felt good but the legs were glued to this pace, probably a good thing as it makes for a beneficial recovery run!

Friday: 3 miles @ 8.00 pace

A pure bollox of a day all round, had to attend a conference in the morning before work so set the alarm for 6.30am to get my run in. Slept right through the damn thing and missed the run. Didn't get home from work until half 8 so just jumped on the treadmill and did 3 miles, was all I could be bothered doing at that stage!

Saturday: 8 miles @ 7.24 pace

Took a while to get going on this one, couple of 8 minute miles at the start. Started feeling good by miles three and upped the pace a lot, felt great towards the end and wanted to keep going but had to go to work (work on a Saturday, it's a crime!).

Doing a long run in the morning with a few lads from the club, hope to do about 14 miles to try and salvage a mediocre week.

Sunday: 13.5 miles @ 7.34 pace

Nice "group" run this morning, one of the lads was struggling a bit so I hung back with him. Lovely morning for it and I felt really comfortable at this pace, my core is a bit weak and it started to hurt a bit towards of the end of the run, especially on the downhills, must start doing some planks again.

So not the week I hoped for but not bad either. Good session during the week in tough conditions, two weeks to the next race so will try and put in a good week next week with a tough session planned for Wednesday. Hopefully this week won't be as manic with work and everything.

Weekly mileage: 45.5

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

pconn062 wrote: »
    Thanks Cleanman, looking forward to giving JB 5k a lash alright, will you be there yourself? How's that ankle?

Not going to run it myself as I'm going to volunteer helping out at the race. The ankle is coming along though thanks. Back running 4 days a week but it's nearly all been slow/recovery pace stuff. Just glad to be back doing something. Might see you after JB if you can stick around for drinks.

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 7.20 pace on grass

Nice, easy run to start the week. Settled into the groove fairly quickly on this one and the miles flew by. Went into the hill field for the last few miles to get the heard rate up a bit.

Wednesday: 8 miles w/session

Session: 4x1 mile off 90 secs recovery

Splits: 5.55, 5.44, 5.47, 5.41

Last big session before the race and I must admit I was a bit nervous about it all day. Great evening for it, cool with not a breath of wind. Big group of 8 doing this so plenty of lads to share the work. We made a bit of a balls of the first one, thought we needed 89 second laps rather than 87. Still, probably not a bad thing to start with an easier rep. Got it right for the remaining ones, was working hard towards the end, but just about manageable. This really is a great 5k session as it mimics the end of race suffering you feel in a race.

I'm looking forward to a bit of a change in training after this, would like to get back to doing a few shorter reps and move away from 1k-1 mile reps after the JB 5k. Recovery run planned for tomorrow as usual, and easy running planned for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Wednesday: 8 miles w/session

Session: 4x1 mile off 90 secs recovery

Splits: 5.55, 5.44, 5.47, 5.41

We made a bit of a balls of the first one, thought we needed 89 second laps rather than 87.

SNAP!! Very close to my one tonight.

blockic wrote: »
    SNAP!! Very close to my one tonight.

Seen that alright, great minds and all that! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

You're screwed PConn. I've been tapering for two months now, unbelievably fresh.. You and your damn training!!! Pttt.

looking fwd to this smackdown - is Meno opening a book on the result?

looking fwd to this smackdown - is Meno opening a book on the result?

If he is then I know who I'm putting my money on! (Definitely RFR, I've never manged to beat him despite how little amount of training he does!).

Hmm, dunno P.. You're in way better shape than any other time we've raced each other over a 5k, and have gotten the 18 min monkey off your back, so you can just concentrate on good old honest racing. I still think I might just be able to sneak a PB, but not sure if that'll be good enough. The only way I'd be a dead cert is if we were to do a 15-mile warm-up. Looking forward to a good battle. I'll race dirty if it comes to it... You better pack your shin guards into your compression socks... Loser buys the first round...

Just to clear up a bit of confusion on what you consider to be 'no training', I ran 1,000 miles from June-September. What'd your skinny, compression-sleeve wearing ass do? Wannabe bloody track fairy, you wouldn't know what a tough session was....

Just to clear up a bit of confusion on what you consider to be 'no training', I ran 1,000 miles from June-September. What'd your skinny, compression-sleeve wearing ass do? Wannabe bloody track fairy, you wouldn't know what a tough session was....

You may have covered 1,000 miles but ran is a bit too strong of a word. I'd say jog is more appropriate. At least you'll be able to spot my compression socks when I'm finishing 100 meters ahead of you. And us track fairies no more about hard sessions that you long distance "one step away from being an ultra jogger" runners.

That's right PConn.. It nearly broke me when I had to run 4 x 1k with you at my 10k pace, taking a two minute rest for a chat each time to 'recover'. Absolutely killer sessions. 5k total at a modest pace is a nightmare, don't know how you do it. I'm sorry, I take it all back... Suppose my average speed for those months of 8.3mph really is only jogging. I'm ashamed of myself now, don't think I can toe the line in this jogging race next week..

Still on for pints though I presume? :-)

• Advertisement

no more .

Sad state of affairs that someone working in the education sector is still having trouble with know vs no...

But at least you're a brilliant 5 x 1k runner.

Advertisement