Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sad state of affairs that someone working in the education sector is still having trouble with know vs no...

But at least you're a brilliant 5 x 1k runner.

Was going to correct that but thought you might not notice it! My music students don't need to know about grammar!

That's right PConn.. It nearly broke me when I had to run 4 x 1k with you at my 10k pace, taking a two minute rest for a chat each time to 'recover'. Absolutely killer sessions. 5k total at a modest pace is a nightmare, don't know how you do it. I'm sorry, I take it all back... Suppose my average speed for those months of 8.3mph really is only jogging. I'm ashamed of myself now, don't think I can toe the line in this jogging race next week..

Still on for pints though I presume? :-)

You're right actually, I'm actually thinking of just running the race as a MP session. I'm going to plod a 5 mile warm up, then "run" the race at MP before plodding another 5 miles for a cool down, how does that sound?!

Pints sounds good, you'll be buying the first one!

Thursday

AM: 4.5 miles @ 8.20 pace
    PM: 4.5 miles @ 8.00 pace

Two identical recovery runs, the second slightly faster as it was getting dark and I had no hi-vis on.

Friday: 8 miles @ 7.28 pace

Lovely easy run on grass in the morning, felt great and did a few hard miles at the end in the hill field.

Saturday: 13 miles @ 7.37 pace

Decided to get my long run out of the way today as I had a rare night out and thought it could be a late one. Absolutely gorgeous morning and the miles ticked by nicely, feeling better on these long runs.

Sunday: 4 miles crawling

Woke up with the mother of all hangovers, crawled home at 5:30 and had to drag myself out of bed at ten to go and take photos at the Louth masters cross country. I am not a big drinker so when I do drink it hits me hard, felt like death warmed up when I woke up. Had 8 miles optimistically planned for today but after four I was feeling pretty awful so called it a day. Eugh, not pleasant, I don't like drinking. :(

Another week ticked off, and a pretty good one at that (apart from today). Going to take it easy this week ans hopefully give this race a good lash next weekend before taking a break for a week or two. My throat is sore today and my head is a bit stuffy, hope it passes before the weekend. Had a good chat with my coach during the week about the plan for next year so have some fun stuff planned, bring on the track season!

Weekly Mileage: 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Are you gonna give the indoors a lash or wait for the outdoors and what distances do you plan on doing?

Drinking and running really don't mix.. I usually have to plan my training weeks in advance if I plan on having a few :P Nowadays I start feeling it after 2 or 3, really can't handle it anymore! Fair play on even managing 4 miles haha

pa4 wrote: »
    Are you gonna give the indoors a lash or wait for the outdoors and what distances do you plan on doing?

Drinking and running really don't mix.. I usually have to plan my training weeks in advance if I plan on having a few :P Nowadays I start feeling it after 2 or 3, really can't handle it anymore! Fair play on even managing 4 miles haha

They really don't mix, I don't drink very often and now I realise why, only starting to feel human again! That 4 mile was punishment for last night!

I think I will give the indoors a go alright, the Leinsters anyway. I won't really be in good track shape by that stage but it could be a good gauge of what needs to be worked on for the summer, or so my coach tells me anyway! Probably the 800m or 1500m. Will you run indoors yourself?

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    They really don't mix, I don't drink very often and now I realise why, only starting to feel human again! That 4 mile was punishment for last night!

I think I will give the indoors a go alright, the Leinsters anyway. I won't really be in good track shape by that stage but it could be a good gauge of what needs to be worked on for the summer, or so my coach tells me anyway! Probably the 800m or 1500m. Will you run indoors yourself?

Same with me I rarely ever drink, christmas will be the next time for me!

It will be good experience anyway and you'd be surprised how the strength from winter will carry over to your performances at the shorter distances. I hadn't much of a base speed-wise last year and ran mainly of of strength work and did ok!

I'll be doing them anyway, will give the munsters a go and the national u.23 and maybe the AAI games, will probably do 800 and 1500 too, I'll concentrate on the 1500 though and use the 800 in the munsters as a blow out and build up a bit of speed. Really looking forward to it, athlone is some place and has a great atmosphere.

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 6 miles @ 7.28 pace

Wednesday: 6 miles w/session

Session: 8x400m off 60 secs recovery

Thursday: 5.5 miles recovery

So a bit of a frustrating week, picked up a bad head cold on Saturday night and was fecked all day Sunday and Monday (and still have it). Despite the head cold I felt good on Tuesdays run. Had a bit of a worrying pain in my foot on Monday but it felt OK on the run. Wednesday then I only did a short session, partly due to the head cold and partly with one eye on the race on Saturday. Kept the reps between 80-81 seconds and finished with a 77. Just a nice session to get the legs ticking over. Today then I just did an easy recovery run on the road. Went for a massage this evening and my physio thinks the foot issue is an overuse problem, the tendons in my feet and getting overused due to my bad over pronation. I am plan on taking some time off after Saturday anyway so I will give the body a well needed rest.

I am still stuck with this head cold which I can't get rid of. Not sure where it leaves me for the race on Saturday. Would love to give it a good lash but won't decide anything until Saturday morning, I will run anyway, anyone need a sub 20 pacer??!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Between the foot, head cold and general frustration, sounds like you might just need a week off P and recharge the batteries.

As for Saturday, sure just treat it like a session - I see all the other lads have their excuses in order so it's about time you got yours in:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am still stuck with this head cold which I can't get rid of. Not sure where it leaves me for the race on Saturday. Would love to give it a good lash but won't decide anything until Saturday morning, I will run anyway, anyone need a sub 20 pacer??!

Haha you are some chancer after asking me if I was doing a tempo run or a pacer!! Must have been a bit of self guilt when you said that :p

Are you staying down for the beers or just Ryans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Young fellas these days.. A couple of months of training and you're falling apart at the seams!! Nah seriously, HTFU, you're ready to kick my feckin arse if you get your head together..

• Advertisement

Cleanman wrote: »
    Between the foot, head cold and general frustration, sounds like you might just need a week off P and recharge the batteries.

As for Saturday, sure just treat it like a session - I see all the other lads have their excuses in order so it's about time you got yours in:D:D:D:D

That's exactly my plan, I saw everyone else sandbagging so needed to get my excuse in to!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha you are some chancer after asking me if I was doing a tempo run or a pacer!! Must have been a bit of self guilt when you said that :p

Are you staying down for the beers or just Ryans?

Sorry N, I'm taking your pacing work! Probably just staying for Ryan's, RFR has to get home to his kids and I'm his lift, will you make it to Ryan's?
    Young fellas these days.. A couple of months of training and you're falling apart at the seams!! Nah seriously, HTFU, you're ready to kick my feckin arse if you get your head together..

I think you're in much better shape than you're letting on. You'll blast out a 17:10 and leave me in the dust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

head cold.... overuse injury.... 20 minute pacer...
    BINGO!

RayCun wrote: »
    head cold.... overuse injury.... 20 minute pacer...
    BINGO!

All I'm missing is the "I think I'll just tempo this one". Nah, I'll go out like a mad man and sure if I blow up it's only a 5k, I'll try and keep you in sight anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

All I'm missing is the "I think I'll just tempo this one". Nah, I'll go out like a mad man and sure if I blow up it's only a 5k, I'll try and keep you in sight anyway!

planning on running backwards now?

17.35 today at jingle bells 5k. Felt good, ran hard. Time for a few days off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

17.35 today at jingle bells 5k. Felt good, ran hard. Time for a few days off!

Are we looking at race report of the year? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Huayra

Well done on a great end to what sounded like a horrible week.

ecoli wrote: »
    Are we looking at race report of the year? :P

I'll admit, I had that in mind when writing this masterpiece!

Well done pconn great running! :D

Sunday 8th-Saturday 14th: Nothing/Nada/Zilch

Took a week off, the body and the mind needed it. Worked out well as it coincided with my busiest work week of the year.

Sunday: 7 miles @ 7.40

A tough first run back, did the last 7 miles with my brother on his long run. Tough hilly route with strong winds, although it was only a week off this was still a bit of a shock to the system. I had pains everywhere, my back, legs, feet. Who says time off is good for you?? I am still having problems with the outside of my left foot which was bothering me before the race. It's a bit of tendinitis and is just a bit uncomfortable to run on. Will have to see how it is for the rest of the week.

So the plan for now is too just train out the rest of the year, but I'm not going to do anything too strenuous. I will do a few low key races over Christmas, for fun more than anything. Myself and my coach are putting a plan together for the new year so will have details on that soon. If I can stay injury free then I hope it will be a good year!

• Advertisement

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 6 miles @ 7.45 pace

Very early morning run, I'm no good at these, can never get the legs moving. Felt good though

Wednesday: 6 miles w/session 10x400m

Should have probably cancelled this session due to the inclement weather, but was working all day and was my only chance to run. It wasn't too bad on the first rep but the wind kicked up on the 2nd and 3rd rep. It was truly unbelievable, stopping us dead at times and making the session a little pointless. We intended to do 12 but it to 10 as the wind was just killing us. Splits were awful, we were looking for about 80 seconds a lap as we were taking really short recovery (45 secs) but my splits ranged from 81 to an embarrassing 88. Would have probably been better off doing an easy run tonight than this, but it's done now. Good resistance training if nothing else.

Just going to run easy for the rest of the week, hoping to hit about 40-45 miles to get me back into it. I can definitely feel the effects of the week off, the breathing is slightly more laboured than it should be. I am exhausted, very busy all week at work, 12 hours most days, so Friday can't come quick enough!

Thursday-Saturday: 6 miles each day

Thursday was a recovery day, felt absolutely terrible, did this run before breakfast and I had to stop and walk for a second after two miles. Blood sugar must have been low. Friday was a bit better but still tired from a Christmas night out on Thursday. Saturday I didn't get out until 6pm so brought my new headtorch, really great toy and I enjoyed this run.

Sunday: 12.5 miles @ 7.30 pace

Long run with a few of the guys, felt good for the first 7 miles or so before we turned into the wind. Last 5 miles was straight into the wind, was manageable but tired by the end and glad to have it done.

So 42.5 miles for the week, just what I was looking for and I'm only now starting to properly shake the rust off. Have two full weeks off work so hoping to get some decent training in and a few fun races, doing the goal mile on Xmas day and a 5k on Stephen's Day, neither will be raced flat out, doing them more for the social occasion and to burn off some of the chocolate I intend to eat, and to catch up with a few of the club guys who are away on running scholarships in America. But for now, there is a box of chocolates with my name on it!

Monday: 3.5 miles easy

Don't normally run on a Monday but took the break from work to get a few recovery miles done after the long run on Sunday.

Tuesday: 6 of the maddest miles I've ran all year

Wanted to get a run in today and then only time that suited me was in the middle of a rain/snow/sleet/hail storm. Absolutely mad, but I strangely enjoyed it. The field I was running in was completely flooded, meaning my runners are a good as ruined as most of the grass was churned into mud. Things were going well until the last lap when I slipped and reached out to try and stop myself falling, grabbing a barbed wire fence in the process, ouch. Lost my hat on the last lap too and the wind almost froze my head. A nice warm shower finally made me feel human again.

Will do up a bit of a summary of the year in a few days but for now I want to wish you all a Merry Late Winter Holiday!

That sounds like torture, not the wind, rain and snow bit, that's all fine.. The running around in a flooded field bit.. Your hand alright?

Happy Christmas.

Christmas Day: 3 miles w/goal mile

Felt a bit dodgy on Christmas morning so had a light breakfast and headed into the goal mile at Dunleer AC track. Was great to catch up with a few people, the whole thing was a very casual affair and myself and the bro ran about 6 minutes for the mile. Well I say casual, some people took it very seriously. RFR raced the mile and managed to beat all the little kids running and ran an astounding 5.23 mile in the process. The guy is a middle distance superstar in the making! ;)

Thursday: 9 miles @ 7.05 pace

We were supposed to head down and do a 5k time trial thing but after we all gathered at the coaches house we found out it was called off due to icy roads. We decided to all go for a run anyway and we did a lovely run in Blackrock (Co. Louth), starting nice and slow and winding it up. Myself and the brother were a bit out of our league, running with three 14:30 5k guys and my coach, a former 2.19 marathon runner! Still we held our own (just!).

Today: 6 miles @ 7.13 pace

Waited until the wind died down a bit for this meaning I didn't get out until 4pm. Was a lovely cool evening and I felt great doing this, starting real slow and winding it up as I went. One of those runs where you just feel good.

Planning on meeting the coach and a few others for a run tomorrow, not sure what we're doing. Would like to get into double figures as I hope to be hungover on Sunday and won't be fit to do it then!

9 miles at 7:05 pace PConn!! Wow, that's incredible. I think you're a marathon superstar in the making. Long run tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Would like to get into double figures as I hope to be hungover on Sunday and won't be fit to do it then!

Loving the ambition on display in this log!!

9 miles at 7:05 pace PConn!! Wow, that's incredible. I think you're a marathon superstar in the making. Long run tomorrow?

Not sure what the lads are doing but I'll tack on a few extra miles with you at the end of you want? Did you get the message off Eugene?
    belcarra wrote: »
    Loving the ambition on display in this log!!

Thanks J, I set my targets and then I try to hit them! :cool:

Just saw EB saying that on Facebook there yeah, grand, see ye around 10ish probably..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Were you just using that goal mile as a tempo run? ;)

Advertisement