Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Wow, congrats on the sub 5. Great achievement.

Thanks AMK, nice to tick it off the list anyway. With all those speed sessions you are doing now you could easily bag that this summer if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super stuff P. Congrats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff on the sub 5, superb running.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great stuff pconn - that should convert to a sub 4:30 1500 for you. Not too shabby!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Well done PConn, you looked smooth in your 800m in Santry. If you want one thing on the track it's to be smooth, so you have that part down! Well done on the sub 5

• Advertisement

Cleanman wrote: »
    Great stuff pconn - that should convert to a sub 4:30 1500 for you. Not too shabby!:D

Thanks a lot man, yeah happy enough but it's early in the season and I hope to get down to sub 4:25 by July, here's hoping anyway!

How are you getting on yourself? Any improvement?
    Lock wrote: »
    Well done PConn, you looked smooth in your 800m in Santry. If you want one thing on the track it's to be smooth, so you have that part down! Well done on the sub 5

Thanks Lock, didn't run great that night but happy to be back running! Didn't even see you at the Meets, how are you getting on yourself? Haven't seen you at a race in a while, were you out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Just catching up on your log PC, congrats and great running, keep it going!

Another update is due. Training has been going well, since the last update I have done two sessions. Last Saturday week we did 3x500m, 5x300m at 1500m pace. Averaged 73 second per lap pace for the 500's and 72 pace for the 300's. Was happy with this and was the first 1500m pace session I've done all year so much improvement to be had hopefully. Then I ran every day since Tuesday this week. On Friday we did 10x400m @ 3k pace, averaging 79 second pace off short recovery. This was a comfortable session, meant to do 12-14 reps but I was called up at the last minute to run at the National League today so cut the session a little short.

And that's brings me up to the National League first round today. Our top runner was out at the last minute with a virus so I was asked to step in and run an 800m or 1500m for the Louth team. I went with the 1500m as I missed the Graded Meet during the week and fancied a bash at my first 1500m since February.
    Got down to Sligo at about twelve, feeling a bit stiff after the 2 and 3/4 hour drive. The weather was nice when I arrived but in typical Irish track season fashion the rain started about ten minutes later and never ceased for the rest of the day. After watching a few of the guys run I started warming up about half an hour before the race. The legs were tired on the jog and I was slightly nervous before the start. Few strides and I tried to suss out the slow guys in the race, before realising all the guys were looking at me thinking "he's the slow guy". Damn! It's not often I feel like the old guy in a race but I knew this was going to painful. Both races were run together so quite a big field, about 15 or so.
    Off we went and after a bit of shoving I fell to the back of the pack, the pace wasn't fast for the guys at the front but was right at my limit. Hit the first lap in 69 and I was a few meters adrift. Just decided to run my own race, I missed the 800m split but I'd say it was around 2.26. I started closing in on one guy (from Bros Pearse Ray) and by the bell I was level with him. I was really hurting now and made a mistake with 200m to go, by pushing for the line. I got a few metres on him but will 60m to go I could hear him coming and couldn't respond when he went by me. So I finished in last place but was happy with a new PB of 4.30 high/4.31 low (have to wait for official results). Felt quite nauseous after the race, I really did push hard. Did a slow and painful cool down and had a chat with thirstywork who had the unenviable task of a 3k steeple to come, after already doing to 3k walk!

I don't know what it is about the 1500m but it always attracts the fastest field. Any other of the races today (maybe apart from the steeple) I would have been further up the field but the fast young guys love the 1500m. Still, I'm glad that I managed to stay in contact and finished just behind a big group.

So the next race is a mile at the Graded Meets on Wednesday week, and then a 1500m at the Leinsters on the following Sunday where I'm hoping to sneak under the 4.30 mark. Need a more even field to have a group to work with during the race, rather than hanging off the back. Happy with my time today, it equates to a 4.53 mile which I'd say I could pull off on a good day. Legs are fecked now after the long drive home!

Will try and update this a little more often now over the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Well done on the pb!

Stazza wrote: »
    Well done on the pb!

Thanks Stazza, it's hard work when you're doing all the chasing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the PB P, ye track boys have serious balls.

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB P, ye track boys have serious balls.

Thanks tang, well done on your race today too, that's a great comeback for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Well done on the PB - that's a decent time.
    Sorry I did not get in to stand in the rain and watch ye.
    I had heard ye did not have a team - good work in getting everyone there - that's what National League is all about.
    I competed in National League 30 years ago - glad I did not get the call this year - it should be left to you young lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Fair play Pconn, hats off to you for doing that and putting yourself out there.
    Major kudos right there.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Well done on the PB - that's a decent time.
    Sorry I did not get in to stand in the rain and watch ye.
    I had heard ye did not have a team - good work in getting everyone there - that's what National League is all about.
    I competed in National League 30 years ago - glad I did not get the call this year - it should be left to you young lads.

Thanks DL, I didn't feel too young today! Yeah we had a last minute scramble to try and find guys to fill the slots, glad we could field an (almost) full team. Miserable weather for spectating today, although it was first time in Sligo and it's a beautiful part of the country. The views on the road from Manorhamilton to Sligo town would take some beating.
    Fair play Pconn, hats off to you for doing that and putting yourself out there.
    Major kudos right there.

Thanks AMK, you can't beat the track, it's so addictive (even if you are coming last on occasion!). Well done on your run today, more time to come off that. A relative of mine ran the race, said it was a great one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good run today. Most of our team was pulled together where we could find them (I'd have been in the 5 if it wasn't for the marathon) but Conor is a good runner, and he's been training for the 1500 for a few months. I might see you out at round two?

RayCun wrote: »
    Good run today. Most of our team was pulled together where we could find them (I'd have been in the 5 if it wasn't for the marathon) but Conor is a good runner, and he's been training for the 1500 for a few months. I might see you out at round two?

He was tough alright, died a little after about 1000 metres but had a good kick when he needed it at the end. Not sure about round two yet, I was there yesterday as our main 1500m runner was sick. Hopefully for round two he will be available (he's a 3.50 runner so a fair bit ahead of me!), and I won't have to come last again! In fact for round two we should have a choice of a few low 4/sub 4 runners. Your 5,000 runner looked very young but held on well in a tough race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He was thrown in at the deep end all right!

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 47 mins easy

Felt very good on this run, tipping along at 7.15 pace on the hilly route without much effort. My left calf has been tight and sore since the 1500m on Sunday and I spent some time trying to loosen it out with a foam roller and tennis ball.

Today: Session 4 (mins), 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4 off 1 min easy

Into the track tonight for a vo2 max session. I was slightly cautious of my calf as it was still tight. The plan was to do the 4 and 3 minute sections at 5k pace (84 secs per lap) and then to run slightly faster for the 1 and 2 minute sections (about 80 secs per lap). Was very warm at the track, not that I'm complaining! Pretty much went as planned, apart from a slightly longer unplanned break before the last 4 minute rep due to stomach issues. Calf was a little sore during the run, it's not injured but more like bad DOMS after wearing the spikes on Sunday. Hopefully a few more days of rolling will help.

Plan now is for a few easy days running before attempting another track session on Saturday if the calf is feeling better. The body can really take a beating from these hard track sessions and it's a careful balance to avoid over reaching and getting injured.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Calf was a little sore during the run, it's not injured but more like bad DOMS after wearing the spikes on Sunday. Hopefully a few more days of rolling will help.

Plan now is for a few easy days running before attempting another track session on Saturday if the calf is feeling better. The body can really take a beating from these hard track sessions and it's a careful balance to avoid over reaching and getting injured.

100% agree. I did my first speedwork session on Tuesday (400m pace in spikes) and am still feeling the effects. Will wait and see how I feel when I get to the track today before deciding what to do. Avoiding injury is the first priority.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    100% agree. I did my first speedwork session on Tuesday (400m pace in spikes) and am still feeling the effects. Will wait and see how I feel when I get to the track today before deciding what to do. Avoiding injury is the first priority.

Glad to hear you're back training DL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Just catching up with your log now, savage run the other day well done! Your flying at the minute :) It's still early in the season, plenty more to come :D

pa4 wrote: »
    Just catching up with your log now, savage run the other day well done! Your flying at the minute :) It's still early in the season, plenty more to come :D

Thanks pa, hopefully there is plenty is more to come! Good to see you back, good luck with your race!

Thursday: 47 mins recovery

Nice easy run, felt good on this although possibly a little too far and fast for a recovery run.

Friday: 49 mins easy

Another good run, I'm feeling really good on these easy runs which is a good sign that the fitness is improving. Calf still a little tight but better than previous days.

Saturday: 3x(200m, 200m, 300m) with 45 secs between reps, 3.30 rec between sets.

Splits: (33, 33, 51), (33, 33, 50), (33, 34, 49)

I was satisfied enough with how the calf felt on Saturday morning and went ahead with my planned session. The plan was for some 800m pace work, and I managed to rope my brother in for a bit of company. It was pretty bleak at the track, windy and cold and we were a little pessimistic during the warm up. Did a lot of warm up, strides, drills to make sure the legs were loose. We managed to keep the pace as even as we could, all the while fighting the wind. Just one slip on the last 200m, a concentration issue more than anything. The last 300m rep was very hard work but I held my form well and was happy with a 49. Good session and happy with the splits, the wind was probably worth a second on each rep.

Sunday: 76 mins easy

Long run with my bro and a friend in Oldbridge this morning, meant to do more but I noticed a bit of soreness in the front of my left quad muscle, right in the middle. At first I thought it was just cramp but it kept up for most of the run so called it a day a little early. it wasn't sore per se, but a little uncomfortable. Really hope it's nothing, I feel like I'm going well at the moment and don't want to have to take time off. Will try and roll it out a bit and keep a bit of ice on it and hopefully it will be fine. Have a day off tomorrow planned anyway which I hope will help. Leinster 1500m next Sunday, hoping to run well if the quad is OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

I seen your post on FB last night. That was RAW that put up that session. Good to see you are back doing your 33 sec reps. Good luck in the 1500M

NiallG4 wrote: »
    I seen your post on FB last night. That was RAW that put up that session. Good to see you are back doing your 33 sec reps. Good luck in the 1500M

Ah now Niall, you can admit that the NER's are turning into track fairies, 1 mile time trials?! It will be hurdles, sunglasses and spandex next! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Ah now Niall, you can admit that the NER's are turning into track fairies, 1 mile time trials?! It will be hurdles, sunglasses and spandex next! :pac:

and pink spikes which come packaged with a tight calf. I might cross swords with you in the Louth t & F for the craic. It will be on the back of zero track sessions and will be with the assistance of nike Pegasus runners. After that, all roads lead to either Frankfurt or Dublin in October for a nice long jog before the rematch in Oldbridge.

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 34 mins easy

Only a short run today to test my quad, felt fine during the run although my achilles tendon was a little tender since Sunday, but again, fine during the run.

Wednesday: 3x(300m, 400m, 500m) at 1500m pace, 1 min between reps, 3.30 between sets

Splits: (54, 71, 1.30), (54, 71, 1.33), (53, 73, 1.31)

Decided to go ahead with my session as planned as the legs were feeling OK. Myself and the brother were doing this one. I was aiming to run 73 second laps but ended up a little faster than averaging 71/72. A tough session overall, no matter what I did I kept going through 200m in 35 seconds even though I felt like I was slowing, and had to keep putting on the breaks. The slower 1.33 on the second set was deliberate as the first was a touch too fast. The 73 on the last set wasn't and was more a case of the legs starting to tie up, manged to hold on for a good last 500 though. Happy with the session and would like to think I can hold 72's in a mile race soon.

Thursday: 45 mins recovery

Very easy run, got a massage done as well, physio says the issue was not with the achilles tendon but rather that calf muscle behind the tendon. Nothing too serious and he gave it a good rub out.

Friday: 49 mins easy

Saturday: 45 mins easy

So that brings me up to the Leinsters tomorrow in Tullamore, I'm down to run the 1500m. I'm hoping for a good run and a PB and a sub 4.30 would be nice but I will have to see what the conditions are like and what type of race it is. I'd actually rather a slightly more tactical race so I don't get blown out of it but will have to see what happens. It's giving a bit of a wet day but if the wind stays calm then that shouldn't affect too much. I feel like training is going really well but I'm constantly on that fine line between being healthy and injured. Just need to balance it for another six weeks or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Best of luck with the racing tomorrow pconn.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: 3x(300m, 400m, 500m) at 1500m pace, 1 min between reps, 3.30 between sets

Splits: (54, 71, 1.30), (54, 71, 1.33), (53, 73, 1.31)

Decided to go ahead with my session as planned as the legs were feeling OK. Myself and the brother were doing this one. I was aiming to run 73 second laps but ended up a little faster than averaging 71/72. A tough session overall, no matter what I did I kept going through 200m in 35 seconds even though I felt like I was slowing, and had to keep putting on the breaks. The slower 1.33 on the second set was deliberate as the first was a touch too fast. The 73 on the last set wasn't and was more a case of the legs starting to tie up, manged to hold on for a good last 500 though. Happy with the session and would like to think I can hold 72's in a mile race soon.

Great session, signs are good for Tullamore

Advertisement