Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kildalton fetac 5 agriculture

• 30-12-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi all I was looking at the fetac level 5 certificate in kildalton college but I'm confused. On the application form it has a section to fill out about the home farm. Do you have to live on a farm before you can do this course? I want get through and do agri mechanic but don't live on a farm.( I have worked on farms though)
    Also I'm 24 so is there an age limit?
    Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If it come about that there is more applicants then spaces then your agricultural experience may come into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If it come about that there is more applicants then spaces then your agricultural experience may come into it

+1 on this advice.

last year there were 1200 applicants for 700 Agriculture Fetac level 5 places in the country. Candidates were chosen through interview. Agricultural experience was the main decider. They also wanted to choose people who they felt would make use of the training - ie Sons or daughters of farmers who intended going in to farming full-time on the family farm on completion of the course.

Would it not be easier to do an agricultural mechanic apprenticeship with a garage/dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

I remember doing the green cert, and there was a farm accounts module. The nosey biddy a Teagasc employee, wanted our home farm accounts to carry out some of the lessons. Anyway I didn't have farm accounts because i hadn't started farming and our land was leased for the past ten years. She basically threathened that if i didnt produce some accounts from the home farm i wouldn't get the green cert, I mean WTF. Basically just saying a lot of what teagasc ask for isn't always terribly relevant

reilig wrote: »
    +1 on this advice.

last year there were 1200 applicants for 700 Agriculture Fetac level 5 places in the country. Candidates were chosen through interview. Agricultural experience was the main decider. They also wanted to choose people who they felt would make use of the training - ie Sons or daughters of farmers who intended going in to farming full-time on the family farm on completion of the course.

Would it not be easier to do an agricultural mechanic apprenticeship with a garage/dealer?

Very hard to get anything like this. Ive searched everywhere online unless I go into individual garages and ask them to take me on. I wonder is there another way to bypass the level 5 straight into mechanic course?.

• Advertisement

patjack wrote: »
    I remember doing the green cert, and there was a farm accounts module. The nosey biddy a Teagasc employee, wanted our home farm accounts to carry out some of the lessons. Anyway I didn't have farm accounts because i hadn't started farming and our land was leased for the past ten years. She basically threathened that if i didnt produce some accounts from the home farm i wouldn't get the green cert, I mean WTF. Basically just saying a lot of what teagasc ask for isn't always terribly relevant

Does that mean on the application form I just leave the part about the home farm blank? It doesn't make sense that I have to do a course in farming to work on machinery! Why do I need a home farm to train as a mechanic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

neddynono wrote: »
    Does that mean on the application form I just leave the part about the home farm blank? It doesn't make sense that I have to do a course in farming to work on machinery! Why do I need a home farm to train as a mechanic?

i think trailee IT do a machinery course through the cao < i remember applying for it in 2001 and being offered a place and then took on a place in a teasgasc ag college I am sorry to this day for not going to trailee

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

I'd imagine you would have to leave it blank, I would give them a call to make sure, you wouldn't want to leave it blank if it hindered your chances of getting in.

6480 wrote: »
    i think trailee IT do a machinery course through the cao < i remember applying for it in 2001 and being offered a place and then took on a place in a teasgasc ag college I am sorry to this day for not going to trailee

I'm guessing you done the palleskenry course? Was teagasc really that bad? I might apply to both places and see what offer I get. I thought getting an education was easy these days?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

I'm guessing you done the palleskenry course? Was teagasc really that bad? I might apply to both places and see what offer I get. I thought getting an education was easy these days?:rolleyes:

no went to ballyhaise in cavan , but i heard the course in palleskenry is good . its good one way to see demand again for these courses as when i was doing the leaving in 2000 people would laugh at a lad going to ag college. But alot of the lads that were at school with me started working on building sites , but not too many sites going these days

• Advertisement

6480 wrote: »
    no went to ballyhaise in cavan , but i heard the course in palleskenry is good . its good one way to see demand again for these courses as when i was doing the leaving in 2000 people would laugh at a lad going to ag college. But alot of the lads that were at school with me started working on building sites , but not too many sites going these days

I still think it's strange that to be a mechanic you first have to know general farm work like how to feed calfs etc.. Tralee it would be a bit far away due to family issues. Any other it do it?

Advertisement