Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's now inside the broadstreet shopping centre?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I remember back in the day Broadstreet Shopping Centre was a decent place, with a Bewleys upstairs, a Leonidas and so on. Apart from what can be seen outside (Sam McCauley, JC Originals, a butcher etc) what is actually inside the place. What does it look like? Is there still that central space? Any photos are welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

It was the old cinema noting in there now I remember a lot of talk about making it a night club years ago prob not true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Faq wrote: »
    It was the old cinema noting in there now I remember a lot of talk about making it a night club years ago prob not true

2 totally different places you're thinking of. Broad Street is right next to the old cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Did they not take that space ?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Good thread, was Only speaking about that place over the Christmas.
    It was a decent space, how long is it closed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There used to be a KG discs as well. Although it was more like KG cassettes. To be honest though I remember it being crap...there was a newsagents beside h Samuel though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Thinking about it, the chemist, foot locker and the empty unit on the corner are all big spaces so prolly go right back, foot locker have storage space upstairs also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

There is a door between Sam McCauley and H Samuel, near that weird yoke for tourists. I wonder what's behind the magic door.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

dayshah wrote: »
    I remember back in the day Broadstreet Shopping Centre was a decent place, with a Bewleys upstairs, a Leonidas and so on. Apart from what can be seen outside (Sam McCauley, JC Originals, a butcher etc) what is actually inside the place. What does it look like? Is there still that central space? Any photos are welcome :)

with a bit of luck there might be a whore house in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

with a bit of luck there might be a whore house in there :D

As always billy your comments are so useful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Is that the place that used to be a supermarket and got converted into a shopping centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

It was the L&N supermarket before it was a shopping mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Even with the current retail units, there should still be substantial space - wasn't there a central escalator leading up to the restaurant? And a side corridor and entrance facing supermacs? Must ask around next time i'm in town on a quiet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Saw this on daft the other day Unit for rent broad street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I remember in primary school once a year obviously we would make crap decorations and get to go down to broadstreet centre and put them on the tree down there. Ah to be young and sane again.

jay.i.am wrote: »
    It was the L&N supermarket before it was a shopping mall.

The L&N was up by what's now Supervalue near the Mercy (unless there were 2 L&Ns).

The Broadstreet Shopping Centre was purpose built as a shopping centre, probably around 1986.

There was an escalator that brought you up to Bewleys.

EDIT:
    I just found a plan for inside. Is Footlocker really that big?

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed89512259d91f42397d9d870d10c213fcb8c800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There was a ladies clothes shop at the back on the ground floor opposite the newsagents, Hickeys was upstairs and I think there was a gift shop next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

The L&N was up by what's now Supervalue near the Mercy (unless there were 2 L&Ns).

The Broadstreet Shopping Centre was purpose built as a shopping centre, probably around 1986.

EDIT:
    I just found a plan for inside. Is Footlocker really that big?

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed89512259d91f42397d9d870d10c213fcb8c800.jpg
    I wouldnt be suprised if it was do you remember champion sports before footlocker it was a lot bigger and it had an upstairs.

I used to always get me goodies for the cinema in there back in the day. There was a shoe shop across from the shop in there and hickys were above.

Think there was a computer shop a some stage but i think that was after it was converted.

I wonder would there be building plans for the conversion somewhere

jayboi wrote: »
    I wouldnt be suprised if it was do you remember champion sports before footlocker it was a lot bigger and it had an upstairs.

I remember Champion Sports, but did it have that mad part veering off to the left (southerly direction). Maybe it did for a store room?

Between Sam McCauley and H Samuel there is and entrance, marked 'ENT'. I wonder where that goes. Its unclear from the map.

The other thing about the plan is its unclear what floors it is for. I got it from the Daft website, where they are advertising for the '3' mobile phone shop.

Anyone up for a Gooneys style adventure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

goodbody stock brokers had a few offices in there ,no sign on that map thingy , mabey they are some sort of secret offices.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

There was steps went from downstairs up to where KG discs was iirc as well. I recall a slightly mad fella called Martin used to run up and down the escalator and steps balancing a sliotar on his hurley, while dressed in hurling shorts and shirt, he was in his 40's or 50's at least though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

There was steps went from downstairs up to where KG discs was iirc as well. I recall a slightly mad fella called Martin used to run up and down the escalator and steps balancing a sliotar on his hurley, while dressed in hurling shorts and shirt, he was in his 40's or 50's at least though.
    Martin hunt. Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

There were two L&Ns , the Hypermarket and Broad street.
    The one in Broad Street had a second entrance on Patrick srteet.
    Broad Street shopping centre opened on 20th October 1988

THall04 wrote: »

If there were two why not just call one 'L' and the other 'N' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

also a underground car park. I think the L&N had offices in it . There was a kids clothes shop in it also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The map above is a little off, the Eircom store goes back further on the 1st floor than the ground floor. Its covers the car park entrance. The car park is still in use. There were lights on in there Thursday.

I used to live in that Hickeys, spent every penny I had there every Saturday.

It was a nice shopping center, very bright, just the right size for the middle of town.

BUT, anyone remember Trinity House??

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

There was a clothes shop up stairs in there also, a guy called Barry used to run it, he was from Cork, for the life of me I can't remember the name of the shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

THall04 wrote: »
    The one in Broad Street had a second entrance on Patrick srteet.
    Broad Street shopping centre opened on 20th October 1988

Christ it didn't last long all things considered did it? It prob closed before '96 at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The map above is a little off, the Eircom store goes back further on the 1st floor than the ground floor. Its covers the car park entrance. The car park is still in use. There were lights on in there Thursday.

I used to live in that Hickeys, spent every penny I had there every Saturday.

It was a nice shopping center, very bright, just the right size for the middle of town.

BUT, anyone remember Trinity House??

Was Trinty House Guineys?
    Or was that something else? I remember there was a little shopping center in there with the exit out the back into the car park.
    Also the Harvest restaurant where the oxfam shop it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thats the one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

For some reason I also vividly remember the layout and carpet pattern in the shoe section of Darrers Stores.
    Absolutely nothing else about the place. Just that.

Advertisement