Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's now inside the broadstreet shopping centre?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

For some reason I also vividly remember the layout and carpet pattern in the shoe section of Darrers Stores.
    Absolutely nothing else about the place. Just that.

Was it a grey and Navy diamond pattern ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nypd wrote: »

I can remember some green.............maybe its not that vivid but grey and navy diamonds sounds right too

I can remember some green.............maybe its not that vivid but grey and navy diamonds sounds right too

Dam you and your making me have flash backs :)

Actually now I think about it. Did the customer lift bring you into a groceries section or am I imagining that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    BUT, anyone remember Trinity House??

Remember Trinity House??? It’s still there!
    It’s just heavily camouflaged underneath copious amounts of quilts, curtains, pillows , cushions and lamp shades…..and there’s a sign above the door sayin’….”Michael Guineys”.

Used to think it would have made a great nightclub/concert venue….but affordable bed linen is much more important in today’s society.

• Advertisement

Actually now I think about it. Did the customer lift bring you into a groceries section or am I imagining that :pac:
    I thought the shoe part was up stairs :/

I thought the shoe part was up stairs :/

It was. I just went off on a tangent :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭julyjane

ziedth wrote: »
    Christ it didn't last long all things considered did it? It prob closed before '96 at a guess.

I think it was still there in 1999. I was working in Waterford city centre that summer and I think I remember going to Bewleys for breakfast an odd day. AFAIR Bewleys pulling out was probably the end for the centre, because Bewleys was probably what brought most of the footfall in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Bewleys was there in 1998 as I sometimes went for a coffee there with my 2nd son who was born in late 1997 and I know a lot of mums with babies had issues with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

im only 22 and still remember darrers, remember up the very top jumping on the rugs and hiding in with all the rolls, and the customers been allowed use the dodgy dodgy staff lift out the back which took you right to the car park at the back. my nanny was one of the longest serving members of darrers too, we used to have the run of the place as kids as she would be able to mind us while working for an hour or two, dont see that happening anymore. oh oh the the toy section too,
    speaking of old waterford remember toy master and the upstairs with all the diggers and the vtec computer section out the back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I remember KG discs and buying lots of rap records there for a fiver because everyone else was into rave music or student bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

tobey wrote: »
    im only 22 and still remember darrers, remember up the very top jumping on the rugs and hiding in with all the rolls, and the customers been allowed use the dodgy dodgy staff lift out the back which took you right to the car park at the back. my nanny was one of the longest serving members of darrers too, we used to have the run of the place as kids as she would be able to mind us while working for an hour or two, dont see that happening anymore. oh oh the the toy section too,
    speaking of old waterford remember toy master and the upstairs with all the diggers and the vtec computer section out the back
    toymaster moving from barronstrand street to the inner ring road was prob the end of toymaster in waterford, twas very bad move used love goin in there as a kid

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

toymaster moving from barronstrand street to the inner ring road was prob the end of toymaster in waterford, twas very bad move used love goin in there as a kid

Toymaster appears to have closed a lot of its stores in Ireland tho, so probably isn't doing as well as other Toy operators!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

More likely due to Smyths opening up not forgetting the less than desired customer service and following customers around the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

THall04 wrote: »
    Remember Trinity House??? It’s still there!
    It’s just heavily camouflaged underneath copious amounts of quilts, curtains, pillows , cushions and lamp shades…..and there’s a sign above the door sayin’….”Michael Guineys”.

Used to think it would have made a great nightclub/concert venue….but affordable bed linen is much more important in today’s society.

I think the gardaí raided that place about six months back.

They were looking for a terrorist going on the name of Summer Bed Linen.

Ok, I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Aquos76 wrote: »
    There was a clothes shop up stairs in there also, a guy called Barry used to run it, he was from Cork, for the life of me I can't remember the name of the shop though.

Was it the mens clothes shop? I think it was called Pontiac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I think the gardaí raided that place about six months back.

They were looking for a terrorist going on the name of Summer Bed Linen.

Ok, I'll get my coat.

The manageress in there is hot.:pac::
    i know i know off topic, but

Aquos76 wrote: »
    There was a clothes shop up stairs in there also, a guy called Barry used to run it, he was from Cork, for the life of me I can't remember the name of the shop though.

Was it the mens clothes shop? I think it was called Pontiac.

Think you are right on that, I used to have an account there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

For some reason I also vividly remember the layout and carpet pattern in the shoe section of Darrers Stores.
    Absolutely nothing else about the place. Just that.

Saw this in a skip a few months back, down on O'Connell Street at the back entrance to Dooley's Hotel...

If you looked at it for long enough it made you get dizzy and fall over!

photo.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

O, what a blast from the past, you could sell A4 size pieces of that, I'd love it. Of course it would have to be fumigated!!

• Advertisement

I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE GREEN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I remember that carpet, it was dreadful. The honeycomb type pattern reminds me of blockbusters on tv.

I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE GREEN!!!

Haha so you were

Advertisement