Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology resource thread

• 30-12-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭

I think it might be useful to have a thread where people can offer information about technology available to people with hearing issues.
    For example, there are posts about loops, but for those of us who don't know, what exactly, in layman's terms, is a loop and how does it work. Classroom transmitters have also been mentioned, what exactly are they, how are they used? Maybe we could start with the absolute basics of hearing aids, if anyone would like to give some info, or post a good link?

Lets try not to get into specifics of what would suit a particular situation, more general information about technology that might be of assistance to other people. Maybe if you give your post a simple title it will help to make the thread more useful.

If it shows signs of being a useful resource I will sticky it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

OK, I'll start with Personal Hearing Loops...

A personal hearing loop is a bluetooth device that is warn around the neck, and connects to your hearing aids via the aids telecoil.
    The loop can then be connected to any bluetooth enabled mobile phone, giving you hands free calling. The loop also contains a mic so you don't need to handle your phone at all.
    More advanced neck loops can also be connected to a bluetooth transmitter. The transmitter connects to any audio device via the 3.5mm headphone jack. (TV/ PC/ MP3 players etc) This eliminates the need to remove your hearing aids and ware traditional headphones. The music/ TV sound is sent directly to your hearing aids via the neck loop.

I am using the MaxIT Pulse neck loop in conjunction with the MaxIT Blue transmitter, at the moment. Once i have had more time to test it fully, i will write a review here.

Classroom Transmitters/ Receivers...

Simply put, the teacher will ware a transmitter with a built in microphone. The hard of hearing person will ware the receiver with either headphones or a neck loop plugged into the receiver.
    The system i used to use was called Comfort Contego, and i found this system very good and reliable.

Advertisement