Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Also, a great report of the Wicklow Round by (i think?) DaPope.

http://getnosleep-ar.com/archives/602

Thanks nerraw1111, better late than never!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Poor oul imra.ie seems to be a bit stuck tonight.
    No worries;
    Glenbarrow course mostly marked this evening, very muddy in spots underfoot but a good route none the less with a mix of tarmac, singletrack, forestry road and a passage through a lost village of ruined houses where folk lived up till quite recently.
    11.3km, 1pm, registration in the Festival Field, signposted from Rosenallis, Co. Laois.
    Afterwards there is a cool festival happening with all sorts of quirky events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck Peter with the Glenbarrow race. Its great to see imra moving out into other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

jeffontour wrote: »
    Once you don't run with your eyes closed you will be fine! The fact that there's no clearly defined trail for a bit is more than made up for by the stream of people around you.

It may have a section on open mountain but it's as safe as you'll get in that it's mostly boggy goodness as opposed to knee high heather from what I can remember. Give it a lash would be my view. Just don't wear your best dancing shoes.

Going to give it a go so. Have Inov8 X-talons so hopefully they'll be ok footwear although I don't really want to lose them to a bog hole.

perfect shoes for that course. Just lace them up tightly using their fancy loop system thingy.

• Advertisement

Best of luck Peter with the Glenbarrow race. Its great to see imra moving out into other areas.

Thanks Mick,

We'll hopefully have a championship course there next year. There's plenty of running in dem dere hills!

Just back from Clonegal where I witnessed Caroline Reid (Dunboyne AC) complete a board to board run of the Wicklow way in a fantastic time of 17:12:03 (tbc). Congrats Caroline and well done to her dedicated support crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I joined her from Glendalough up to Mullacor and she was going really well, though at that stage not even half way!
    Only on the steeper uphills did she walk and I nearly had to jog to keep up with her walk!

The time I was told was a second less!

A magnificant performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just back from Clonegal where I witnessed Caroline Reid (Dunboyne AC) complete a board to board run of the Wicklow way in a fantastic time of 17:12:03 (tbc). Congrats Caroline and well done to her dedicated support crew.

That would be 3rd fastest time ever and easily the new Female record. Great stuff from Caroline.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Superb stuff from Caroline. Looks like she didn't fade much in the second half, great going.

She's been wanting to do this for a good while now so I'm delighted it's gone so well for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Transvulcania Ultramarathon is on 4OD at the moment. (Available in Ireland)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/triathlon/episode-guide/series-3/episode-2

Seefingan was covered in cloud this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

f. you and your 4OD links...now I'll never get any work done today :D

Were you up there watching TV? :)

I must check that out, I think it was a pretty competitive race from what I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

f. you and your 4OD links...now I'll never get any work done today :D

I can recommend a fun content filter, I'm denied access on the basis that the site is categorised as "TV/Video Streams;Entertainment".

It's looking like it could be a muggy evening, midget fest again ? I know, I know, midges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Well last night was a total sufferfest. Sweet jesus, those bogs were a killer. At one stage, I had to haul myself out of a bog, Bear Gyrlls style, after my legs disappeared from under me.

The descent was brilliant from Seefingan. Legs were gone towards the end, felt dizzy and starving, thought I was going to bonk! Nearly got nabbed on the line. Was oblivious to the runner right behind me with 200 metres to go. I was trotting in, alas, someone yelled his name, alerting me to his presence! Quick burst and I was safe.
    Some good performances from the boardsies, earlyevening and mothman. They were flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Last night was my first IMRA race. Previously the only time I had run offroad was on a tartan track so I think last night was a bit of baptism of fire into mountain running. A total sufferfest but an enjoyable sufferfest. Really enjoyed it, twas fairly boggy in parts (pulled two people out of holes) and I was a bit tentative on the descents. Really enjoyed the descent of Seefingen but was a bit scary on the final descent on a stone road where I was fearful of the injuries if I fell. The rough plan was for about 75min at half marathon effort. Finished with 78min so was delighted. Had been getting a bit disillusioned with my running in the last 6-9months so twas great to run a race where I didn't have a preconceived notion of what pace I should be holding. Hopefully get to do a few more of these as haven't enjoyed running so much in a long time. My new Inov8's got well and truly christened also - was a bit embarrassed at the shinyness of them on the start line, should have dipped them in mud beforehand.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    twas great to run a race where I didn't have a preconceived notion of what pace I should be holding.

That's great to hear, you've caught the essence of off road running right there! The same race route 10 times might run completely differently each time due to weather, conditions under foot or choice of shoes! Delighted you enjoyed it.

I didn't race cos I was royally f*%ked off by something during the day and I was think with the world. I went out and cycled up a steep hill, mowed the grass and watched football and drank tae. Sometimes all you need is tae.

jeffontour wrote: »
    I went out and cycled up a steep hill, mowed the grass and watched football and drank tae. Sometimes all you need is tae.

I did all those things except mow the grass, and I did that today:D

(hope you're feeling better with the world today too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Some good performances from the boardsies, earlyevening and mothman. They were flying.
    Not all the time :rolleyes:
    I did sink to my waist on return to Corrig. Was like a trap door opening and I just went down and immediately halted. It took huge effort to extract myself and didn't really get going again till heading for Seahan.

At least I kept my shoes, no way would I have found them if they came off.

Otherwise happy enough :)
    Descent off Seefingan was as good as the descent off Seahan is bad. I go into 100% ankle preservation and nearly ground to a halt after crossing the fence :)

Looking forward to Trooperstown. I didn't run well there last year but in meantime I'll try get to Lug.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Haven't run the LC races before but planning on running the lug race this weekend (have recce'd the course a couple of times):
    Any recommendations on where to pick up the essential kit (map/compass/whistle)? As far as I know most smart phones have a compass and map, do these count?!
    Is there a recommended map that covers a number of courses or is an individual map required for each race?
    How strict are they on having all the kit?

The Lug route is v straight froward IMO, so are all these really necessary?

Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    I did all those things except mow the grass, and I did that today:D

(hope you're feeling better with the world today too)

I'm feeling mighty today! I hope I'm feeling the same this time tomorrow after Lug. :D

Sport101 wrote: »
    Haven't run the LC races before but planning on running the lug race this weekend (have recce'd the course a couple of times):
    Any recommendations on where to pick up the essential kit (map/compass/whistle)? As far as I know most smart phones have a compass and map, do these count?!
    Is there a recommended map that covers a number of courses or is an individual map required for each race?

Thanks for the replies!

Strict enough but its for the runner's safety. The Great Outdoors or 53 degrees north have the essential kit items. A phone isn't really the answer. If I was race director and someone showed me their phone when I asked for compass and map I wouldn't be happy. That said the route up and down Lug is pretty straightforward assuming good weather. If the visibility is bad then thats a different matter entirely and you need to be able to know your bearing.

Any recommendations on where to pick up the essential kit (map/compass/whistle)?

Great Outdoors, 53 Degrees North, Army Bargains type stores, Basecamp

As far as I know most smart phones have a compass and map, do these count?!

I doubt it.

East West Mapping ones are good, or an OS sheet 56 will do you I think. They will cover several courses.

If it says you need the kit, bring the kit to avoid being turned away. It clearly states the requirements so you've no excuse if you turn up without it and are refused entry.

Now there's a can of worms!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

East West maps are the business for Wicklow. They get updated often (unlike OS... but the OS has nice contours)

Which is kinda irrelevant if one does not know how to use it.

Well Saturday was fun! Not a lot to be seen on top and plenty of slip sliding on the way down.

I took a pretty good tumble early on in the descent, on the higher rockier stuff and it knocked my stride and stuffing for a bit. I'm fairly sore today, it seemed to take two days for the aches to set in.

Round of applause to the summit marshal, I did it last year in positively balmy conditions relative. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Loved it! First time up Lug. Wasn't sure I was going to be able to run it as I'd been down with a cold all week but took a chance and delighted. Had a lot of fun, three spectacular falls on my face on the way down but the ground was so soft it was grand.

Mweelrea will hopefully make my 3, first time doing any IC races this year.

And yeah the summit marshall had a seriously tough job!

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

European Athletics Mountain Running Championships video: http://www.youtube.com/embed/3PCVvLk8H94

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Turns out I'm back in Ireland the weekend of the Stone Cross to Lug.

So if any team is looking for a Mercenary I'm ready and willing. I've raced all three legs before, leg 1 (1hr25), leg 2 (2hr15) and leg 3 (2hr21)... although I recon I'm a bit faster now then I was then... If I was given the choice I do leg 2 again, my PB for it is way to slow and needs improving and I know that route the best.

Oh how I wish I could have run this evening. Looked and sounded like a great run in Ballinastoe. Well done to Paul and Peter for a well received route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Me too, couldn't make it this evening but heard it was a great course.

Advertisement