Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

One of the races of the year last night. The route was great fun, a rollercoaster through forests, ducking in and out of trees, bushes, waist high grass, leaning into corners, all at very fast pace. Brilliant stuff. Hopefully it stays in the calendar, would love to do it again but I’d say it would be impossible to follow the route!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Heard Michael Carmody was well in the lead in the Killaloe Race last night and he took a wrong turn :D

He turned up over half an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firemouth

Fantastic race,fantastic course,well done and thanks to all involved last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Great report by Ken Cowley!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

I wrote a (my)race report about DMP which i posted on the IMRA site Link , was inspired to write about the ballinastoe but just counldn't remeber enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Best of luck to Enduro, making an attempt to break the Wicklow Way record (currently held by PabloT, 13:38:51 for the 132k course). Tomorrow's attempt will be from South to North, starting at Clonegal, and getting progressively hillier towards Marlay Park in Dublin. Finger's crossed for a Southerly wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

He was running well and in good form earlier. I cycled alongside him for much of the section from Clonegal to Kyle cross (just beyond the ford on 'leg 7'). The running conditions are perfect. He has an omni-present support vehicle too which is a must for these things.

Whoever says the south Wicklow way is flat is a liar. Theres constant up and downs, not very high but enough of them to notice. Was discussing as we ran the possibility of the wicklow way relay doing the full route the odd year. Would be great to see runners run up the hill at the dying cow and on Coronary hill etc.

Leg 7 is particularly not good on a bike. Too many gates. Advantage there to the runner.

Keep it going Enduro.

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--agaR1JnJZY/UAp_RqjgDVI/AAAAAAAAAq4/7D-ggsTiv4k/s640/IMAG0127.jpg" height="640" width="425"[/IMG]

Enduro was going very fast between Tinahely and Moyne. Interesting strategy, he was saying the idea is to bank time now, on the earlier "flatter" stages, and suffer the later hills. In good form, running well, great weather for it; fingers crossed!

(Contact number for his support is on the IMRA forum, if anyone wants to find out where he is, and perhaps run with him, he said he's more than happy to have company).

It was worth getting up early for this view.
    7614385546_7795305621_b.jpg

Well done Enduro for smashing the record. Details on the imra forum..

A mind boggling run. I was suitably wrecked just watching him in the early stages.

• Advertisement

Awesome run, well done EK! New record is 13:06, taking 32 minutes of the previous, which is some chunk of change. It will be very interesting to read the report, as to the difference in running directions.

Also, how beat to deal with those monster summer flies?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Disappointed not to be around to see some of Enduro's run. Great to see up close how quick these guys are actually travelling.

This is great news for Irish ultra running. The old timers, in experience terms, are being pushed by a new generation and as seen today, responding phenomenally. Watch out for more great things from Irish ultra runners at Lakelands 100 next weekend and UTMB in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thanks all. A full report will follow sometime soon.

Epic day out, and I'm still wrecked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Nice to see a mountain runner win the Olympic marathon: Stephan Kiprotich was 5th in the 2010 World championships in Slovenia and subsequently led Uganda to win the African championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Great to see Fionnuala Britton out hillrunning last night at the mountain rescue benefit on 3 rock.
    She is one athlete no one in their right mind would complain about if she was parachuted into the team for next weeks worlds in Italy!

Peterx wrote: »
    Great to see Fionnuala Britton out hillrunning last night at the mountain rescue benefit on 3 rock.
    She is one athlete no one in their right mind would complain about if she was parachuted into the team for next weeks worlds in Italy!

Great to see. Had the same thought myself. Seconded!

Great performances by Fionnuala and Joe Warne, must be first time a woman has led a standard IMRA race at the summit. The 2013 European Athletics Federation European championships are uphill only in Bulgaria on 6th July: would be fantastic to have both flying the flag on much smoother underfoot. John Shiels has some excellent photos up: http://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/67427/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It was good to see her there and she got a warm reception, and I think it's the only time my name will appear in a results list within 20 places of someone who was an Olympian that year.

Great 5000m in 15:49 by Sarah McCormack (Clonliffe) in the BMC meet (50 seconds faster than her 2011 PB). Sarah was 8th in The European championships in July and will run in the Worlds on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Some runs by the guys at the UTMB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

And the Worlds :)

Last IMRA race of 2012 this Saturday off the beaten track down in the village of Kilcash up and down Slievenamon. Would be great to see some new runners from around Munster and the south-east. Cmon asimonov, give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Last IMRA race of 2012 this Saturday off the beaten track down in the village of Kilcash up and down Slievenamon. Would be great to see some new runners from around Munster and the south-east. Cmon asimonov, give it a lash.

Hmm. This race sounds like a nice race. I haven’t seen any mountain runs around the South East. I’d love to try. What’s the story with first timers? Can we just turn up and pay a fee and run?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

floyd333 wrote: »
    Hmm. This race sounds like a nice race. I haven’t seen any mountain runs around the South East. I’d love to try. What’s the story with first timers? Can we just turn up and pay a fee and run?

That's pretty much it, I'd say. Don't know about paying the Annual Sub though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

It's €10 for a one-off race.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭ASIMON0V

I'm saving myself for the relay.

Actually running XC in Leinster intermediates this Sunday otherwise I'd be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Might be of interest.

IRunFar did a two part guide/history to Fell Running in the UK.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/10/fell-running-a-quick-guide-part-1.html

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/10/fell-running-a-quick-guide-part-2.html

Some great pics and quotes.

From 1910.
    Dalzell’s descent was hair-raising in the extreme. Never would one have credited that legs other than those of a deer could perform the terrific leaps and bounds over hollows and boulders which carried Dalzell to victory.

62 runners towed the line outside Kehoes pub in Kilcash for the rarely run Slievenamon race. A win by Tim O'Donoghue by some distance. I wasn't on the hill myself but feedback from runners was very good. As a venue for a race it certainly worked well. Was nice to have a fairly even munster / non-munster mix of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

62 runners towed the line outside Kehoes pub in Kilcash for the rarely run Slievenamon race. A win by Tim O'Donoghue by some distance. I wasn't on the hill myself but feedback from runners was very good. As a venue for a race it certainly worked well. Was nice to have a fairly even munster / non-munster mix of runners.

Yeah, great race. The route was superb. Would be an absulute belter of a decent in the dry. Thanks coming down and helping ensure the whole thing ran so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Savage route, relentless uphill, up and down route meant a savage descent !! Great race and Apres race food!!

Tim was absolutely flying !!(not like Enduro flying, into the ground) Killed my % time...

Advertisement