Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    Killed my % time...

You'll be able to pick the soft races next year to help those %'s:)

ALL HAIL PRESIDENT DUNEBUGGY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

We are considering altering the route of the wicklow way route in 2013. The reason is so that we may be able to facilitate a Solo Race of the Wicklow Way on the same day. Solo runners would have an earlier start time.

We would like to

1.) Alter the 8 legs to run on the Actual Wicklow Way - It currently diverges slightly.

2.) Add a 9th leg to the Wicklow Way Relay. So it runs to the end of the Wicklow way.

OR

3.) Include the 9th leg for Solo runners Only and transport them to the normal finish Pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Great idea el Presidente, change all the handover points to wherever we can get a farmers field for parking and work out the lengths of the legs from that. Maybe there's a better village pub at the very end - change is worth a go one year anyway, the AGM appeared to work out.

Speaking of some changes that maybe could be un-installed...
    WW Trail - please revert to the older shorter route starting from the parpark currently used for handover of WWR legs 2/3 to allow thinning out before the boardwalk.
    Adding a 3km fireroad climb does nothing for the route. Altering the start time so that the start marshall can drive around to the Ballinastoe carpark midpoint of the UMTB qualifier WW50km keeps volunteer resources low.

Over Christmas I hope to recce a new route in the Slieve Blooms for the Leinster Champs but I'll hold fire on contacting the official forum or the co-ordinator until I actually have something concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Trailer video of 2012 English Fell Running Championships (from MudSweatandTears website)

http://youtu.be/EKWVwsLcFVU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Peterx wrote: »
    Speaking of some changes that maybe could be un-installed...
    WW Trail - please revert to the older shorter route starting from the parpark currently used for handover of WWR legs 2/3 to allow thinning out before the boardwalk.
    Adding a 3km fireroad climb does nothing for the route. Altering the start time so that the start marshall can drive around to the Ballinastoe carpark midpoint of the UMTB qualifier WW50km keeps volunteer resources low.

Two points on this one:

1 - that's not reverting to anything. That's creating another new route which hasn't been used before.

2 - Word on the street is that the WW is being re-routed away from the road in that area. It'll continue down through the forest. Presumably it'll come out near the pier gates somewhere. That might be another interesting possibility for both races. (and should hopefully eliminate fireroad!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Ultra Wicklow Way race is a fantastic idea.

Surprised it hasn't been done before or has it? I would imagine such an ultra would create a lot of interest outside of Ireland and beyond. Get a day like last year and we'd have Jornet, Krupika, Greenwood et al over the following year wanting to run.

Actually, invite some of them over as part of The Gathering ;)

Not really qualified to comment re changing existing relay route. Only did it the once and loved it. But I can see why the route exists as it is. I'd echo Peter's comment though that change is always worth a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Peterx wrote: »

Over Christmas I hope to recce a new route in the Slieve Blooms for the Leinster Champs but I'll hold fire on contacting the official forum or the co-ordinator until I actually have something concrete.

Its not official until its posted under your real name on the real forum. Here we can dream, moot, waffle, spoof, conjecture...:D

I wonder if there's appetite for a few LC races spread around, well, Leinster? I won't shout out on the IMRA forum in case Mount Leinster is once again flying the flag for Wexford, but there's a good longer Annagh varient that might suit the multi-terrain hardcore merchants. (And maybe the suitably-sports-halled Annacurra could handle all those eager Winter Leaguers sign-me-uppee's?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Pablo-T is setting out to run the Wicklow way from Clonegal to Marley this Saturday starting at the not so friendly hour of 5am. I'm hoping to join him for a stretch on the bike. I'm sure he'd welcome others along the way to pass the time.

They could be a while waiting for the Wicklow way relay to run south to north though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Pablo-T is setting out to run the Wicklow way from Clonegal to Marley this Saturday starting at the not so friendly hour of 5am. I'm hoping to join him for a stretch on the bike. I'm sure he'd welcome others along the way to pass the time.

They could be a while waiting for the Wicklow way relay to run south to north though :)

How quick will he be running? I'll try and join him for a few kms.

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Looking to challenge the south to north record so he'll be going steady enough. Hopefully one of the guys will set out a bit of expected timetable for those interested in hooking up with updates on the day on progress. I'm sure jeff has the logistics all wrapped up already. ;) The protein and carb concoctions are probably already brewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

These early starts from the ^rse of Carlow are all Enduro's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

jeffontour wrote: »
    These early starts from the ^rse of Carlow are all Enduro's fault.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Its not official until its posted under your real name on the real forum. Here we can dream, moot, waffle, spoof, conjecture...:D

exactly!
    The proposed route crosses land belonging to a healthy variety of types of landowners so plenty to get approval for before waffling on the official forum;)

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Well I think it's about 135 km for the full route, and if he's to dip under the current record held by early riser Enduro that's working out at about 10 or 11 kph on average. As you can imagine, the descents will be quicker, the climbs slower.

I've been given no instructions other than be ready to drive princess pablot south at about 3:30 on Saturday. Be that indications of target times or his dietary requirements. He'll probably be happy to lick the wrapping of the bacon and egg rolls Robbie and I will be lapping up in the support car.

I'll post some times to the IMRA forum as and when I can on the day, I'll also try tweet some progress @jeffjfitzsimons As anyone who has supported anything like this before however, you have very little time to be fluting around on your phone at the speed these lads are covering the ground!

Slogger & nerraw1111, hopefully see ye out on the day. If I looked stressed and slightly demented it's probably cos I will be.

Sure isn't he another of one the 'run on empty' guys..? Leave him off at the start and you can head for breakfast. Wave at him from outside the Glenmalure lodge where you can be stuffing your face and having a pint :D Theres plenty of streams to drink from too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

Sure isn't he another of one the 'run on empty' guys..? Leave him off at the start and you can head for breakfast. Wave at him from outside the Glenmalure lodge where you can be stuffing your face and having a pint :D Theres plenty of streams to drink from too :)

Mick, one of the only reasons Robbie is coming along, is so he can stop at the lodge for venison sausages!! That's a fact and he has already inquired about it!

Given the recent interest on the "going on empty" topic, maybe I could post here afterwards about exactly what I eat for the duration if anyone is interested. There definately won't be any breakfast (apart from the strongest coffee I can get my hands on)
    It would be interesting, for me anyway, to contrast it to the last time I ran it.

Anyone who fancies a run along the way would be very welcome

pablo t wrote: »
    Given the recent interest on the "going on empty" topic, maybe I could post here afterwards about exactly what I eat for the duration if anyone is interested. There definately won't be any breakfast (apart from the strongest coffee I can get my hands on)
    It would be interesting, for me anyway, to contrast it to the last time I ran it.

You can bring another of your mother's fruit loafs along. No need to stray too far from tradition in the name of performance/science!

Advertisement