Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Cheers for the pics. The third pool does get deep in places. Arm bands are mandatory kit for small people.

Actually worth noting there could be mandatory kit on Sunday.

What's the general wisdom on running across felled branches? Last year I thought the section was quite tricky given the sheer amount of them. Potential to cause damage. Is it quick high feet or heel strike the branches to prevent tripping?

That pool seems to be getting deeper by the day:D It's never been more than just over my knee deep, but I'll wade through it in a couple of days to check if snorkles are needed.

A rainproof jacket may well be mandatory to carry round on the day, I'll make a call depending on what the summit marshals think before the race. Last year they were mandatory in poor weather.

My preferred method for running across brashings is to midfoot strike on the larger branches, and sort of bounce across. Deffo high feet though.

Last few spots on the bus up for grabs!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If the day is windy I reckon long sleeves are a must.
    If its windy and rainy then rain cover should be carried, with spot checks at the finish for those that didn't conform.
    If you are crashing through the pool just be careful not to disturb the race director who will be doing lengths (from his training log he's gone all swimmer like..). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, high feet is how I went last year through the felled area and caught a good few people who slowed right down, knees right up to lessen the chance of catching on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I can't wait for this race. I've read so much about it on this forum over the past year so it's got a lot to live up to. It'll be my first IMRA race of the year as I've been sick or injured for the majority of the last month so I'm raring to go. Roll on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That pool seems to be getting deeper by the day

Suddenly, it all makes sense!

• Advertisement

Bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus bus is now available for booking for anyone doing the WW Trail race.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

jeffontour wrote: »
    You wouldn't like it. Not nearly as steep as it looks.

Stay at home and leave us a percentage point closer to the winning time.

Will ya relax will ya. I'm not in half the shape I was last year. You bashing out more than twice the miles I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

ocnoc wrote: »
    Will ya relax will ya. I'm not in half the shape I was last year. You bashing out more than twice the miles I am.

The old not in half the shape i was last year trick..........:pac:

T runner wrote: »
    The old not in half the shape i was last year trick..........:pac:

Is that like the 'I'm definitely not running the next race trick'? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

I'm deffo not racing = I'm going for the record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

ocnoc wrote: »

You would swear there was flooding forecast with all the sandbagging on here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Youd think it would be very similar wouldnt you?...but alas no.... there was a particlarly blind strain of self delusion involved in believing id leave the winter league after one race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ah the old "I'm not racing" this evening only to cough up a lung at the finish line.

Another one is "my ankle is a bit sore so will be taking the descents handy enough.'

Just back in from a recce, its really mucky in places. Grippiest shoes possible, and remember to double-knot those laces! there's a tree blocking the route in the forest, scramble under it. Reminder too of Mandatory kit- windproof jacket and foil blanket. Call will be made on the morning on what is required for the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Think I cracked a rib last week. I won't be any threat to you this week Warren.

Think I cracked a rib last week. I won't be any threat to you this week Warren.

Ha. Sure I’ll stick on your shoulder so, just to make sure you’re ok.

Quick question about the course. Memory is a bit hazy but is there a small bit of open fire road about half way through that slowly climbs for about a km? If so, at what stage of the race is it?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Ha. Sure I’ll stick on your shoulder so, just to make sure you’re ok.

Quick question about the course. Memory is a bit hazy but is there a small bit of open fire road about half way through that slowly climbs for about a km? If so, at what stage of the race is it?

0-700m
    Fire road, wide enough, flat.

700m-1.4k
    Very steep climb. There a stone wall will have to be crossed at some point (quite a few crossing points). Terrain on right side is felled tree stumps, terrain on left is marshy grass. Dampest in by the wall, dryer if you move 15m out.

1.4-2.7k
    Ridge run across grass. Boggy in places close to the wall. Flat, cross
    a wall (carpet will be down), then gets a little rougher, before a
    sharp downhill. Very slippy (albeit soft surface), run through the
    heather for grip if the grass track is very muddy.

2.7k-4.4k
    Run through the forest. Trail can be muddy, puddles. Brashings in
    places. Trail will be marked only at junctions, so use logic and keep
    running straight until you see the turn (some of the straight run will
    make you wonder if you are lost). Turn in the forest, and theres a
    runnable fireroad down through the trees.

4.4-6k
    Fireroad, all uphill. It's open vista, see if you can spot Lug to distract from the pain.

6k-7.6k
    Hit the ridge again in reverse (this time on the other side of the
    wall). It's uphill, nothing too bad, keep slogging away. There are
    three major puddles blocking the way, the first two you can skirt by
    on the LEFT side of them. The third will be marked around by going
    through the trees. Much quicker to just run through the puddle- its
    not more than thigh deep.

7.6-9k
    All downhill to the finish. First section is fast fire road through the trees, then opens onto a muddy zigzag through cleared forest. A little flat section brings you back into the forest, before a last quick downhill, and turn for the 100m sprint down to the line.

Its gonna be wet one. Lots more rain fell this week onto an already tricky course :p

Yeah, I'm just back from a course inspection- its very wet in places, pools and puddles through the forest, slippery on the ridge... Should make for a testing race. It was a soupy cloud up there this afternoon, but relatively warm. If conditions are similar tomorrow, I'd advise anyone who will be out there for 80+ mins to bring a jacket, but unless there's a fierce wind or cold tomorrow, that's advice rather than mandatory. Bring jackets anyway, we'll make a call at registration.

See you all down here, hope everyone likes the route, and best of luck to those battling for the podium!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

The Kerry Easter Training weekend with IMRA runners is being organised again this year by Aoife, Jason and I: http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2814/

I've copied in the overview below from the IMRA forum:

We have finally put together the final itinerary (I have put it up here and will be modifying it as we progress and know more:
    http://www.championseverywhere.com/kerry-easter-mountain-running-weekend-2012)

Remember this is not a professional event, even if we try our best to make it look like one, just a weekend arranged by friends for friends, so there is no insurance etc.

We will be staying in Kenmare once again from 6th April to 9th April in similar accommodation to last year (cottages/houses) and estimated price for accommodation is €75 with electricity. With restaurants and buses, you are probably looking to invest €155 in your weekend before any other expenses.

To state your interest, please fill out this survey before end of day next Sunday 19th: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2ZP66M2

SCHEDULE (in brief, for full schedule see link above)

FRIDAY (arrival day)

19:30 GOOD FRIDAY 5 MILE RACE in Killarney

SATURDAY (Carrauntoohil - subject to change dependant on weather)

09:00 - Morning speed and agility session with Emma Donlon
    13:30 - Carrauntoohil hike or run

SUNDAY (Kerry Way long run)

09:00 - Morning yoga with Suzanne Kenny
    12:30 - Kerry Way run from Sneem to Kenmare (30 km, 16.5 km and 10 km options, possible tea-stop in Templenoe!)

MONDAY (departure day)

10:00 - Check-out
    11:30 - Easy trail run around Muckross Lake/Dinis (possibility of doing Mangerton for anyone particularly frisky!)

The full itinerary is subject to change depending on what we can confirm, final numbers etc. Expect kayaking, climbing and cycling to be organised by other people on the trip.

Mailing list will be setup for everyone who confirm they are going. We expect at least 35 people.

• Advertisement

Well done to TRunner, 1st home today in 43 mins, thats almost 3 minutes faster than last years time. A lot less wind, but a lot more slop; either way an awesome run. That's the Winter League sown up by him. Who could fault the incumbent on his loud calls for its mothballing, given TRunners rich form this year?

Second was the conscientious parker and from-TinahelyRunner PabloT, who held off the fast closing and freshly shod KiwiRunner, both well under last years time.

Karen O'H was first lady, some great stories from out on the course, and once again this race was brought to you by the letter V for volunteer, of which there were many who had their experience tested and found working.

Links on facebook and imra for some video from today. Photos to follow on flickr later.

Links on facebook and imra for some video from today. Photos to follow on flickr later.

Always had him as a "steady as she goes" sort of guy, but that vid shows SureWhyNot trailing in 6th through the water- that must have been some huge downhill to make up a couple of spots for 4th!

Great day's racing. Such a fantastic course. Bus worked out great, it even had a toilet to make the post pints journey home comfortable.

Had a great race myself. Very tactical, never got a moment's break. Constantly chasing or being chased. Those pools were freezing cold. Made up huge time on the descent, feels like your dropping like a stone from the clouds. Loved it as conditions were perfect.

Despite all the hard racing, still ended up sprinting for the line but couldn't get past him. Those pints of Guinness were beautiful.

Well done to all who organised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Well done to TRunner, 1st home today in 43 mins, thats almost 3 minutes faster than last years time. A lot less wind, but a lot more slop; either way an awesome run. That's the Winter League sown up by him. Who could fault the incumbent on his loud calls for its mothballing, given TRunners rich form this year?

Second was the conscientious parker and from-TinahelyRunner PabloT, who held off the fast closing and freshly shod KiwiRunner, both well under last years time.

Karen O'H was first lady, some great stories from out on the course, and once again this race was brought to you by the letter V for volunteer, of which there were many who had their experience tested and found working.

Well done donothoponpop and well T runner, two great performances on the day:D
    Both impressive and encouraging to see how good T runner has become, marathon training is a very good base for the oul hill running (as Brian MacMahon also shows)
    A bus was used by Gerry Brady to bring folk down to a world trial race up Galtee Mor in 2008, it was also successful. Buses to the remote and rural places may well be the future. Well done again to all involved in this initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

Thanks to everyone involved in organising yesterdays race - it was great fun! A brilliant variety of surfaces and challenging terrain. I felt bad every time I passed one guy in road shoes who had very minimal grip in his road shoes on the descents. Brilliantly slippy on that first long shallow descent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Thanks to everyone involved in organising yesterdays race - it was great fun! A brilliant variety of surfaces and challenging terrain. I felt bad every time I passed one guy in road shoes who had very minimal grip in his road shoes on the descents. Brilliantly slippy on that first long shallow descent!

I always felt fantastic passing the fit guy who passed me on all the climbs. I had a pair of these:

salomon-speedcross-3.png

and they have great grip. Passed him on the grassy descent on the left of the wall and that fantastic zig zag downhill towards the end (2nd last descent). I did offer to recommend some trail shoes but he didn't respond. Hope he didn't think I was being an ass.

I felt very sure footed descending in these. Just didn't have any energy on the flats and the climbs.

Kiwirunner's Race report.

• Advertisement

Great report. Really wish I was running it. Glad to get the photos up (batches of 10 at a time so patience required). Re-reading the reports and reviewing the photos later is class. A pity some events lose out for lack of reports and photos :(

Advertisement