Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 metamagical

What a lovely day at the race today, and what a great job of marking it by Peter "X marks the spot" - tape for the soft bends, arrows for the hard ones, and just enough streamers to put minds at ease after a turn. Instead of worrying about the route, we could concentrate on a good hard run, and it showed in the fact that the top of the field was close all the way to the last descent.

Great work lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Cheers Metamagical for the kind words however I heard that people went astray as follows;

One missed the right turn down the river gully near the finish and more than one took the right through the trees just before the very last turn. In fairness to these second set of folk there was (Coillte) red and white tape on that junction. Ideally we'll get our own distinctive colour of tape.

Stunning views on a great day for running yesterday. We're blessed to have access to such great hillrunning areas.

Fair play to Billy Alexander for stepping in and greatly delaying his journey to Kerry for the weekend.

Ultimately lads will get lost a couple of times and then finally learn to look up, it's all part of hillrunning;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

what a great job of marking it by Peter "X marks the spot" - tape for the soft bends, arrows for the hard ones, and just enough streamers to put minds at ease after a turn. Instead of worrying about the route, we could concentrate on a good hard run, and it showed in the fact that the top of the field was close all the way to the last descent.

Great work lads!
    Peterx wrote: »
    Cheers Metamagical for the kind words however ...

Just accept the praise Peter, your improved marking has quelled any rebellion from this series, from now on you'll be known as the man who saved the Winter League:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

what a great job of marking it by Peter "X marks the spot" - tape for the soft bends, arrows for the hard ones, and just enough streamers to put minds at ease after a turn. Instead of worrying about the route, we could concentrate on a good hard run, and it showed in the fact that the top of the field was close all the way to the last descent.

Great work lads!
    Cheers Metamagical for the kind words however ...

Just accept the praise Peter, your improved marking has quelled any rebellion from this series, from now on you'll be known as the man who saved the Winter League:D

I'd say Peter is kicking himself the race went so well. Probably ensured the WL for another year.

Pretty sure there was snow/frost on Maulin this morning as well as low cloud. Glendalough was stunning this am anyway. Was only walking but can't wait to get in a loop there soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

One missed the right turn down the river gully near the finish and more than one took the right through the trees just before the very last turn..........
    Ultimately lads will get lost a couple of times and then finally learn to look up, it's all part of hillrunning;)

I'm never near enough the front so as to worry about looking for tape, just follow the people ahead, but I read the document outlining how the courses will be marked that was linked to earlier.

On Saturday during the final climb the group I was in broke up sufficiently enough that the guy infront of me got out of sight after the top. Sure enough coming to the turn I noticed the tape on the right and spotted where we were to turn so I confidently took it. Previously I may have hesitated and looked behind to try guess where the guys behind were going to go but this time I was able to use it as an opportunity to loose the guys behind through the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice photos up from Aidan. Really was close up towards the front. Fair play to Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Snow on Glandasan this morning... and into the afternoon. Bitterly cold.
    Ground conditions weren't ideal for speed.

Right... before I go to my little black book, final call for anyone looking to be on the Boards A team for the Wicklow Way Relay. We have a superfast lineup so far, best we've ever had. Looking for 2 superquick ladies, and one ultrafast M40, to complete the line-up. This team will be racing for the gold, no doubt about it. PM me if you're interested.

B team for WWR, guess I'll put it together too, will start on that soon. Anyone wants to get recce's in, go right ahead. 2012 recce's and current form, will be picking criteria.

Wicklow Glacier Lakes, just me and SJ so far, any interest in making a team?

The elite team will take shape via PMs and emails no doubt.

Add your name if interested in the other team that counts ;). I reckon a reasonable goal is to outperform last year's performance.

Interested in taking part?
    Slogger Jogger (M40)

I'll be down for the WWR. Can't make glacier lakes alas, war the day before. Would love to do it. If you're stuck for a person, I'd run a leg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The elite team will take shape via PMs and emails no doubt.

Add your name if interested in the other team that counts ;). I reckon a reasonable goal is to outperform last year's performance.

Interested in taking part?
    Slogger Jogger (M40)
    Mothman (M40) I'm a few minutes quicker this year :)
    nerraw1111

Glacial lakes clashes with orienteering

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

I'd be interested in the B team if you need a body. I'm away for the Glacial Lakes (Boston marathon).

Slogger Jogger (M40)
    Mothman (M40) I'm a few minutes quicker this year
    nerraw1111
    donothoponpop (M40)
    wideball

Great! The more the merrier. Looking good for M40s ;)
    If this is oversubscribed (and it would be great to have that problem) the selection will be down to recent performances (and backhanders to me) (joke!) which should include some hill running outings. And a recce or 2 of a chosen leg which is suited to the runners ability is a pre-requisite.

we need to work on the sponsorship side, look what they have up north tomorrow..

from nimra....
    Ballymena Runners are also delighted to announce that North Antrim Food Suppliers, Glens of Antrim Potatoes were only too happy to continue their sponsorship of Ballymena Runners Glenariff Mountain Race this month. This is the eleventh year in a row the local running club has been lucky enough to clinch the deal with the local company.
    This year the sponsorship continues with category winners receiving small cash prizes and all those entering will have the added bonus of a complimentary bag of Glens of Antrim potatoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Enduro

we need to work on the sponsorship side, look what they have up north tomorrow..

Are you volunteering to do that?.. seriously!

Peter X going home from the next IMRA race after bagging some spuds as a prize.

tumblr_lvpymoCdQV1qzufob.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Peter X going home from the next IMRA race after bagging some spuds as a prize.

Via the nearest highest mountain pass

It took a bit of Kerr-ful digging, but Eye think this is behind (s)pudderX's proposal, tuber sure, tuber sure.
    My potato plants (from the €2 shop seed potatoes) are thriving nicely. I'm going to enjoy looking at the lovely greenery on show now before either the blight or the pesky bugs eat them. If I even get the spuds for one dinner I'll be pleased with my "gardening" efforts.
    I put down 4 lovely sunflower plants last week and 3 of them were slugged to death on day one.

Figuring on having a trail race in Annacurra on Sunday 29th April to christen the new Annacurra trails. I need to work out the logistics of the route. Various options are possible. Keep 29th April open :-) I'll try my best to work it in favour of hill runners.

Quite a few familiar IMRA faces at the Debra Ireland Wicklow Mountains half marathon today. Aengus Burke was running well at the front and in the lead when he and 2nd runner went astray which is a pity. Some of us who thought we were running for minor places in the top ten found ourselves 2 places better off as a result. Bernard was 4th, with me just behind in 5th. Ema Donlon 1st lady, not far behind me (and she was probably taking it easy :)).

If ever a half marathon suited IMRA runners this is it. Winning time was c. 1:37 Highly recommended. Mind you they'll do well to get better weather than we did today! 11th March and it was warm and sunny. Brilliant.

• Advertisement

This is a great read.

Remember the guy that had to be assisted by the Dublin/Wicklow rescue team following a recce of Art O’Neill. He helpfully wrote an account of where he went wrong. Very informative read and highlights how things can go wrong.

http://www.dwmrt.ie/news/article/art%27s_cross_-_the_other_side_of_the_story!-145.html

It took a bit of Kerr-ful digging, but Eye think this is behind (s)pudderX's proposal, tuber sure, tuber sure.

and to think I sometimes imagine I have too much time on my hands.
    Good sleuthing there dono....

In other news I'm very pleased to announce the ongoing expansion of all things IMRA into yet another county of Leinster.

Lovely Laois will recieve an IMRA sanctioned hillrun on the 24th June, any connection with the fact my future father-in-law is from Laois and wants a race organised down as part of their festival of the fields there is purely coincidental;)

we've all heard of chessboxing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing
    The upcoming WWT race is a perfect chance for the inaugural running of the initial and soon to be wildly popular sport of trailrunningthenpitchandputting

I'm not sure how to organise the handicaps but maybe one minute for for every stroke would work - It's an 18 hole par 3 so break even would be 56 minutes to add to your finishing time from the run. Maybe 2 minutes for every stroke over par would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks just like in those X-Men films where Xavier and Magneto fight it out to the death then retire to play chess between rounds.

Lovely Laois will recieve an IMRA sanctioned hillrun on the 24th June

Cool. Look forward to that. Always nice to try out new routes. Mind you this hill running might get more popular. On that note, down with that kind of thing ;)

Good man Slogger, I do like races - just in their proper time.

I actually feel like organising the prizegiving for this years winter league as last year's was such an afterthought and it would be good to properly do it - and heap praise upon mighty T runner of course..

Good man Slogger, I do like races - just in their proper time.

I actually feel like organising the prizegiving for this years winter league as last year's was such an afterthought and it would be good to properly do it - and heap praise upon mighty T runner of course..

Happy to help. Could do it based around a social run and meet up. Would after the trail and ultra in Johnny Foxes work? Lots of people around that day? Downside there its a very busy pub.

Wicklow Way Relay Provisional List

Slogger Jogger (M40)
    Mothman (M40)
    nerraw1111
    donothoponpop (M40)
    wideball

Anyone other takers? Entries are likely to happen very shortly.

Thinking of a Thursday evening in april for the WL prizegiving, how does that sound?
    Nothing too fancy, just some champagne on arrival and dancing girls and the like..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Wicklow Way Relay Provisional List

Slogger Jogger (M40)
    Mothman (M40)
    nerraw1111
    donothoponpop (M40)
    wideball
    earlyeve

Advertisement