Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair review

Options
  • 30-12-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Ok my supervisor is pissing me off lately with my reviews. I am a contractor not permanent. I am not going to lie here because I'm wasting my time posting otherwise but I am a serious hard worker, not the worlds best but I do make an effort. If there is overtime in the weekend and im asked to do it, I will always come in. I do everything I am asked to do without refusal. Overtime could require me do 4- 8 hours work on a Saturday and I travel almost 45 miles to work by car, but I do it.

Anyway there is another girl that works with me and she is around the same age as me (25) and the supervisor treats her like the golden girl. She is also on contract not permanent worker but she has been in the department longer but she's no better or worse than myself. The supervisor keeps giving her "outstanding" as a rating which is the best. In my reviews the Supervisor gives me just "Good", which is completely underrating me as I have done more overtime on weekends than this "golden girl" as what my Supervisor portrays her to be.

I had a review in April and got a "Good" status. I didn't like it at the time but I said I would get on with it and prove supervisor that I was better than that. I did more and more overtime, put in more hours at work and had no major fcuk ups and then I had another review there lately and guess what, I still only got "Good" and the golden girl gets "Outstanding" for her performance.

Cant understand it, I was p*ssed off with it big time that I deliberately skipped the department Christmas party. This girl I work with loves self too and she isnt a nice person. She is very nice to people to their faces and bitches about everyone behind their back. She also lickar**es the Supervisor to the last its unbelievable.

Im fed up of it now that I want to say something to the Supervisor about my reviews but I don't know the correct course of action. what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Keep calm and wait for Monday
    If you blast the supervisor over this in a meeting you'll come across as bitter.

So organize a meeting and ask to discuss it
    And before it happens go line by line through your appraisal and work out what you want to say. Keep in clinical, not I'm the sucker and left with the donkey work. :)

And if there is an area where you acknowledge you need to improve ask for specific stats and plans on what is needed. This way it isn't vague and next time you'll point and say,hey I did everything you asked here. I meet your standard.
    Everyone can improve at something

And when the meeting happens only mention you. Do not say the girl is a pet and a favorite, you'll be looking petty. Do not mention her at all. It's your appraisal and the meeting is for your benefit

Lastly working more and more hours does not mean you're a good employee and it's not always appreciated. Working overtime is not realy a way to get a good review. I wouldn't drive 45 miles for four hours of work anyway

See how the meeting goes and consider stop volunteering for overtime if it's causing you stress.
    You're working hard so have the weekend for yourself
    teednab-el wrote: »
    had no major fcuk ups and then I had another review there lately and guess what, I still only got "Good"

That's not impressive, that's the very minimum they expect of you

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

I am a retail manager so slightly diff to your area of work but I have meetings with my staff every 3 months to discuss how they are getting on with thier work. You should be able to discuss your rating and ask what you can do to improve. Tell your supervisor you feel you are working to get a better rating but ask why you aren't getting it.
    I agree with above poster...don't mention any other member of staff.
    If you don't get an answer you approve of, is there someone higher you can discuss it with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Did you have any fcukups? Even a minor one? As a previous poster said, not having fcukups is the bare minimum expextation. Anything at all will ruin your review.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How do you know what the other girl got? Are you are just going on what she says?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't think how much overtime you put in is necessarily a sign of how well you are doing, some might view that as inefficiency. you seem to be putting too much emphasis on it.

why don't you ask the supervisor what you need to do to get a higher rating? get feedback, expectations etc instead of just putting in extra hours going nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

teednab-el wrote: »
    She also lickar**es the Supervisor to the last its unbelievable.

That in itself might explain the ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Welcome to the world of work.
    In many jobs you will find that the lickarse layabouts are more thought of.
    Same thing happened to me years ago, so I went to college, got a job I love, working with decent people, and it was all thanks to the auld wagon who treated her cronies better than her good workers.
    It spurred me on to get out of there.
    I doubt any of them have jobs as good as me now!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Firstly, your distance from work is irrelevant from a review point of view. We choose to live where we do and work where we do, the company does not force you. I wouldnt bring this up.

Nor would I bring up another member of staff - particularly one who (in the eyes of management) excels at their job. It looks bitchy and unprofessional, and would go against you in your review.

Working overtime is clearly not what your organisation view as going above and beyond. Maybe the quality of the work is valued over the quantity? So, you need to find out what an "excellent" requires.

In your next review, ask your supervisor "can you give me examples of what you consider warrants an "excellent" rating" or even simply "how can I change that "good" to an "excellent" by my next review? What do I need to do?"

This shows your supervisor that you want and are willing to take on board constructive critisism to improve. Dont take it personally (which can be hard when someone is putting your efforts down) take notes, and ask if you could have an informal sitdown at a halfway mark to discuss or adjust any issues getting feedback from your supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Meeoow wrote: »
    lickarse layabouts

where's that coming from?

^^^^^^^ Where did THAT come from? Do you two work together or something? Meow is dead right, more often than not there are a few lickarse layabouts in every job, and they somehow fool the boss into thinking that they're performing better than you.

In my experience though, they're too slippery to be caught out. All you can do is out-perform them as often as you can, the results will speak for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

newmug wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^ Where did THAT come from? Do you two work together or something? Meow is dead right, more often than not there are a few lickarse layabouts in every job, and they somehow fool the boss into thinking that they're performing better than you.

In my experience though, they're too slippery to be caught out. All you can do is out-perform them as often as you can, the results will speak for themselves.

According to the OP:
    but she's no better or worse than myself

So presumably you guys think the OP is also a layabout?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    So presumably you guys think the OP is also a layabout?

Meow said nothing about the OP. What they stated was that:
    Meeoow wrote: »
    In many jobs you will find that the lickarse layabouts are more thought of!

Its a valid point, if not the most important point to take from the thread. However, they were not accusing either the OP or the "golden girl" of actually being a layabout lickarse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I don't know if this means anything, but I used to work with a guy who "worked hard" and really believed he worked hard, but he was crap at his job.

I worked with another girl who was an honest worker and worked hard, but she was also crap at her job.

I had to give them poor reviews which upset them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A business only cares about results

You can be the office martyr, doing all that overtime and being the most helpful person with the best attitude but if you're causing minor fook ups and costing the company money they'll call you an underperformer

And at the same time if you're a star and making the company money and never make mistakes then things like lateness and slacking off can get forgiven.

But the people at the bottom only see their work and so think they are the hardest worker when realy they're pretty useless. But they don't know this and get bitter at the lads falling in late on Friday morning.

That's the team leaders fault tbh.
    People should know exactly where they stand and in our place, we have to give a score from one to five on ten competencies and I'd more or less get the same score back

No point smiling and telling a person they are good to avoid a conflict and then six months later chew them out in an appraisal

You praise on the spot, you criticize on the spot and the OP never gets direct feedback and now doesn't know where he stands at all
    It's almost like training a dog lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

There is some good advice in the mails here,
    • Find out what your boss values as indicator of outstanding performance.
    • Arrange a meeting to discuss your performance.
    • Do NOT be defensive at this meeting, openness shows a willingness to succeed.
    • Agree a plan with your manager.
    • Arrange follow-up meeting to review progress, have solid example to discuss.
    • EXCEED not meet that plan.

• Do NOT mention or compare yourself to other employees.
    • Do NOT whine about your role or managers.
    • Do NOT be negative.
    • DO be positive.
    • DO be enthusiastic.
    • DO ask how you can develop yourself to be more useful to the business.

It is all in your hands. Become a success. Overcome whatever is holding you back be it personal or organisational.

I once had a technician reporting to me do the following. After a so-so review he said "Paint me a picture of what a successful review would be for me" I described the goals that I wanted him to achieve the next year, where I saw opportunities for him to add value to those goals and to his role. I also pointed out some minor things that he often did that caused extra work for me and others which I would like not to have to raise again the following year.

It took him a couple of years to change his work habits and to develop certain soft-skills but he turned into a top performer, once he really took on board what was really important for success in our company. What he was doing was not working so he made the necessary changes.

Advertisement