Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should have 25mbps , but only getting 10mbps....

Options
  • 30-12-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi all,

I got an email a while back from UPC regarding my broadband in which they said they would upgrade my broadband speed to 25mbps, which I was very happy to hear about.

Ever since my wireless speed has always been pretty much around the 10mbps, so I called them up today to find out what the deal was.

Before calling I plugged the cable (which is upstairs) into my Macbook and did get the speed of 25mbps but when I go wireless it reduces the speed right back down to 10mbps. The guy in UPC said that it was a problem with my wireless settings, more than likely channel related and suggested I change my wireless channel to 1, 6 or 11 and that would help pick up the 25mbps signal.

I did this but on all three channels it still gives me the 10mbps rather than the 25 I'm looking for.

Would anyone have any suggestions?!!

Thanks a million

The Rook

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

*bump*

Thought this might get hidden, would appreciate any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If you get 25Mbps while connected via ethernet cable and only 10Mbps when connected via wireless, then the problem is your wireless connection. How are you measuring the wireless speed?

The speed of wireless depends on a lot of factors :

Router (make/model?)
    Client (your laptop)
    Distance from router
    Interference
    Obstacles (walls etc.)

Have you run the speedtests on wireless while the laptop is close to the router? Do you have any other computer than you can check the wireless speed with just to check that the the problem isn't just with the Macbook wireless connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

bhickey wrote: »

The speed of wireless depends on a lot of factors :

Router (make/model?)
    Client (your laptop)
    Distance from router
    Interference
    Obstacles (walls etc.)

Have you run the speedtests on wireless while the laptop is close to the router?

Do you have any other computer than you can check the wireless speed with just to check that the the problem isn't just with the Macbook wireless connection?

Router : make is Belkin, not sure of the model number just yet...

Laptop make: is a Macbook Pro but will take 25mbps when connected over cable

Distance from router seems to be inconsequential, it gives me 10mbps whether I'm right beside the router or downstairs

Interference - Other than our microwave there's nothing in the house that can interfere with the signal.

Walls - Again these seem not to be the problem as it's the same lower signal regardless of whether I'm right beside the router or a god bit away in another room.

Used my wife's laptop to see what her signal strength is and it seems to be the same ... 10mbps too....

It seems by process of elimination that it's the wireless router that isn't able to cater for a 25mbps signal .... but is that common?

Advertisement