Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Just found this forum, despite my frequenting boards for a long time!

I've always wanted to have the confidence to stand up and sing in a room full of people. I sing in the background and would never be one to start a song etc, although I am quite confident in other parts of my life.

I'm female and in my 40s and would love to find the confidence to sing, so think I need to start with singing lessons. I have been told for years that I have a good voice, (although I never believe them;)) but have never had the confidence to do anything with it.

Where do I start? Advice would be very much appreciated considering it's a new year in two days and I finally want to be able to feel confident singing in public after so many years!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Thats a hard one to answer as most of the people I know that get up and sing at these social occasions do it because they like singing some of them are not really that good but everyone lets them off to sing so I say just stand up and start singing!

enrol in lessons
    such as somewhere like dit or waltons
    or find a private teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hi Fittle.

I'm a voice coach and coach singers on learning to sing and improve confidence. I was always able to sing but I too needed to get training on my voice. If you heard my first demo, you'd crack up laughing. ;)

I started in groups... I went to theatre school, amateur acting groups and then eventually, musical societies. These were brilliant for me as the spotlight wasn't squarely on my shoulders. It was a fun and non threatening way to explore my voice.

After that, I decided to get voice coaching and I loved it so much, that I eventually trained in it. I worked really hard - you will only get the voice you want through hard work. Think of it like going to the gym.... if you do all the exercises and do them regularly enough, your body will respond in kind.

Please don't allow a lack of confidence to dissuade you from pursuing this. Singing is a proven stress buster and feels joyous. It's a real personal freedom to sing aloud, even if it's just for yourself... and like the sound of what you hear.

EVERYONE who walks through my door lacks confidence in some area. If you heard some of the singers, you would find this hard to believe. However, we ALL suffer from this one way or another.

Best of luck. I hope you go for it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

If you don't want to splash out on voice lessons, joining a choir is a cheaper alternative. A lot of people in choirs will join for similar reasons to yours, and it's a handy steppign stone to getting towards singing solo.

Or a musical society if song and dance appeals to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cinema

Where are you based, like Fittle I too would love to be able to sing at a party. I am in Cork.

Regards
    Cinema

• Advertisement

Me? I'm in Waterford.

Do you know of anyone doing singing lessons in Cork City??

No, sorry, butmy first port of call would be the school of music there, they'd have the info.

Thanks might try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Thanks for comments everyone - I've looked into joining my local choir as a starter. I know the problem with me is confidence more than my actual voice, so something like a choir would suit me to start. Even the thought of singing lessons fills me with dread to be honest - the thoughts of singing in front of one person is giving me goosepimples!!

Anyway, I'll go to the first choir session next week and see how I feel about that...thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Wurly wrote: »
    Hi Fittle.

I'm a voice coach and coach singers on learning to sing and improve confidence. I was always able to sing but I too needed to get training on my voice. If you heard my first demo, you'd crack up laughing. ;)

I started in groups... I went to theatre school, amateur acting groups and then eventually, musical societies. These were brilliant for me as the spotlight wasn't squarely on my shoulders. It was a fun and non threatening way to explore my voice.

After that, I decided to get voice coaching and I loved it so much, that I eventually trained in it. I worked really hard - you will only get the voice you want through hard work. Think of it like going to the gym.... if you do all the exercises and do them regularly enough, your body will respond in kind.

Please don't allow a lack of confidence to dissuade you from pursuing this. Singing is a proven stress buster and feels joyous. It's a real personal freedom to sing aloud, even if it's just for yourself... and like the sound of what you hear.

EVERYONE who walks through my door lacks confidence in some area. If you heard some of the singers, you would find this hard to believe. However, we ALL suffer from this one way or another.

Best of luck. I hope you go for it.;)

where are you based wurly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I am based on Harcourt Street, Dublin 2. Please PM me if you require further information. Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

i got a present of vocal coaching for christmas its something ive wanted to do for a long time, im probably like the op confidence isnt good so hopefully that can help

Advertisement