Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1080p MKV Stutter - Please help change settings

Options
  • 31-12-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey,

Don't know if this is the correct forum in which to be posting this but fingers crossed!

I'm trying to watch 1080p MKV file on my TV via HDMI cable from my laptop.

When I try to play the MKV on my laptop the frames simply will not change. As in, it looks like a screenshot with the audio playing in the background. I'm using VLC Media Player.

When I try to watch it on the TV via the HDMI cable I get the same result.

If anyone could offer any advice on what settings to change, or else simply if my laptop is not able for it. My laptop and TV details are as follows.

Laptop:
    Model: HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook
    Processor: AMD Turion (tm) X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-72 2.1GHz
    Ram: 3GB
    Display: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
    DAC Type: Inter DAC (400Mhz)
    Approx Total Memory: 1531MB
    32 bit OS
    Windows Vista Home Premium

TV:
    Samsung
    40"
    LED 3D
    1080P
    200HZ
    Smart TV
    Saorview etc.. All the bells and whistles

Again, any advice or help would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I doubt it's able for it. Your screen size on your laptop cant even be 15" surely, which means the screen resolution is barely (if that) 720p, and that old of a spec would not have been designed to do much else.

If you can't get it to run on the laptop you sure as hell arent getting it run on the TV. I don't thing the HW is capable of it. You can try the K Lite Codec Pack online, as a last ditch effort, but other than that I would dial down to 720p.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

I thought that might be the case.

Thanks very much for your help, looks like it's 720p for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

I'm an idiot.

Laptop was in Powersaver battery mode. Bloody movie works fine in high performance mode :P

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

careful with it though. I had higher specs and even when the laptop was spanking new running 1080p would cause the battery to get really hot and discharge much quicker than it was designed for: 90 minute discharge vs. 6 hours.

grant you that motherboard was defective but not immediately apparent. either way keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

VLC player is notoriously buggy for high def mkv files.
    In the end I dropped it for windows media player classic (nothing to do with microsoft) which has a huge amount of video support and options.
    Plays any high def 1080p without a hiccup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Player_Classic

• Advertisement
Advertisement