Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Day/Monday Snow Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Cork's and Dublin's TAFs have just been amended to include sleet showers up to 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

turned to heavier sleet now.

lets hope it can turn to a flurry of the real stuff.
    it's certainly doing it's best Weathercheck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i followed that band of showers for the last half hour. nada from where i'm looking came from it. :(

Su Campu wrote: »
    Sleet here in Celbridge.

so it must be on its way to me in Lucan,

( checks lampost... hmm very slight sleet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nah the wheels have fallen off it here, its a no go! Just abit of light cold rain now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Just barely short of real snow in Lucan.

It's a real pity as have the sledge greased up and ready to go!!

I'm a bit pessimistic this year, but who knows a few more weeks to play for still. Happy New Year to all the guys who make this board worth a sneak into every day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Snow in Ratoath Co. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

3.5c at the moment so a covering unlikely but Kippure, which I can see from my bedroom window should look good in the morning :)

Just barely short of real snow in Lucan.

It's a real pity as have the sledge greased up and ready to go!!

I'm a bit pessimistic this year, but who knows a few more weeks to play for still. Happy New Year to all the guys who make this board worth a sneak into every day!!!

look out yer windie again, its snowing now:0 here in Weston anyway LOL

scratch that, sleet again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Started as snow then turned into heavy snow here, with a strong WSW breeze, all surfaces have a covering of snow.

Temperature has fallen with the heavier precipitation to 0.8C with a DP of -1.3C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

what's this the second westerly based cold spell to deliver snow to the east! snowing here but it is very wet snow, stuck on car and grass but it's melting already as it's getting lighter. still nice to see a wee bit of snow.

Jake1 wrote: »

Yep, was wet snow, now back to sleet again in Celbridge. Just the wrong side of marginal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

OK - that's it :mad:

It is now raining here. No sleet worth the name (ok, I haven't done the blob test with the car windscreen) - but it is rain to me, 24 carat rain. :(

The pressure is also exactly 999.0hpa - which is 666 upside down - and we know what that means :eek:

I'm off to bed. Good Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Heavy sideways wet snow now.....backedge seems more favourable for snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Jake1 wrote: »

It's still just sleet here! and I'm just up past Superquinn.

I'm willing it to turn to snow, so we're all pulling the same direction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Moderate to heavy snow here the past hour or so. Big fluffy flakes. Started as sleet but quickly turned to snow. 0.9c right now with DP of 0.2c

It's rather white out there.....gonna be slippy in a few hours

The coldest upper air is now crossing the country, with 500 hPa temperatures below -35 °C, and this is what's keeping the showers going overland. This showery system should start to ease off soon in the west and die out overland, with some lighter sleety showers continuing along the Atlantic counties, with snow on higher ground.

Fairly lashing out there now and trying its best.

But just sleet

Su Campu wrote: »
    The coldest upper air is now crossing the country, with 500 hPa temperatures below -35 °C, and this is what's keeping the showers going overland. This showery system should start to ease off soon in the west and die out overland, with some lighter sleety showers continuing along the Atlantic counties, with snow on higher ground.

:( there goes my hope. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Rain, with the odd bit of sleet every so often

• Advertisement

Light rain shower at Dublin Airport (75m) and Casement (97 m), while "unidentified precipitation" at Mullingar (105 m) at 0100. This was snow at midnight so the sensor is having a problem identifying it!

youghal and waterford s be getting something surely must be getting something from the band that's passing over?

Lampost watching really wasnt the plan tonight! It is going to be a very long day weather watching tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

snow snow snow, outside mullingar

Loving it...I remember the snow of 2011 as if it was yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some Wet snow falling here ATM:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Another nice big shower on the way to me soon on the west Donegal coast, hopefully some more torrential hail. Not too bothered about seeing any snow, we had plenty of wet sleety stuff last month and the hail is far more impressive when its coming down that heavy, good to see some people have seen a few flurries anyway!

Edit: Might as well report that there's lying snow in Letterkenny according to a few facebook reports

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Snow the last half hour here in Ashbourne

Met Eireann's aviation chart for 0600 has the country split in half right down the middle, from Derry to Cork.

West of the split they give occasional rain and sleet showers and thunderstorms, with isolated graupel/snow showers north of 55N.

East of it they give isolated rain and sleet showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Sleeting here where I am now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

No snow in Kilkenny city but snow in the hills between here and Carlow - Castlewarren area.

Advertisement