Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody know how to find out who owns a run down property?

Options
  • 31-12-2011 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi there is a derelict cottage on a small bit of land that i would love to buy and renovate but i have never seen anybody ever near the house. i would love to ry and contact the owners and ask would they be interested in selling it.

is this possible? and if so is it rude to do this?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Easiest way is to ask people living in the area, ideally older people.
    I think you can get a solicitor to do a title deeds search, but someone else will advise if this is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ask the closest neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 beller10

yes i have asked the neighbours and people who have lived around the area for a long time but nobody seems to have any info on it,

i wonder is there another way then asking a solicitor ?

cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

You don't need a solicitor, the land registry is all public information.

Information here : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/property_deeds.html

If you live in Carlow, Kilkenny or Waterford, you can search the registry online.

http://landdirect.ie/eng/

Or if you don't want to do it yourself, companies like this will do it for a small fee: http://www.landregistryireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My experience of derelict property is, if the owners wanted to sell they would have had many oppertuinities to do so, but did'nt for one reason or another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 beller10

hi its in Dublin.

yes that makes sense as it would be a great plot to renovate there must be some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

On the Donegal council website you can view a map which shows if anyone has applied for planning permission on that land. Its possible the owner did apply for permission to do something, maybe just increase its value, or maybe they applied but were refused so the land lay derelict.
    Dublin probably has the same system, worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

beller10 wrote: »
    hi its in Dublin.

yes that makes sense as it would be a great plot to renovate there must be some reason.

More common in rural areas, but some properties lie derelict because the owner emigrated and no family left in the area.

Advertisement