Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into college on foundation maths?

• 31-12-2011 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there. So basically, I'm repeating the leaving cert(think I made a thread before) despite getting good marks, because I did foundation maths. Now this year just gone, I've been doing ordinary level. And the problem still remains. I am terrible at maths. I just don't get it at all. And at this point, i'm sure when I return after christmas, they'll recommend dropping to foundation level. Now I know every course has different requirements, but generally like, what are my chances of getting into college on foundation maths? Or should I stick with a fail on ordinary level?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I think as long as its not a course requirement and you have passed 6 other subjects (apart from LCVP) you are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm only doing 6 in total(including maths) and While I'm fairly certain I'l get ay least A's on 4 of them(as I did last year) maths will certainly be my weakest, and I don't know about the 6th one.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Ye really depends on what the course requirments are.. But if u cant find a L7/8 course that allows u in without a good grade in maths, just go for a L6 course that shoots u into the L7 course u wanted to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I think its much safer just to really try hard at maths, get grinds, whatever. Maths isn't everyone's cuppa tea but it's not catastrophic. I'm sure you can get at least a pass in OL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If you've already got a high points leaving cert then - If I were you - I'd not bother with the other subjects and just spend all your time working on passing maths.

It's only required to have the subject passed - it doesn't need to be included in the year you take your best points score from.

If you don't have maths you'll rule out a load of courses you will not be able to do in college.

If your only goal is to go to college regardless of the course then there's still plenty to choose from. But that's not how I'd look at it...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

What courses are you interested in? You need to check the course AND university requirements to see if you need OL maths to get in.

Here is a link to the Qualifax "Minimum requirements" page which is very useful for finding out what you do and don't need maths for.

Like smcgiff said though, if you have the points already for the course you want there's absolutely no need to sit all your subjects again. If you do better this year (points-wise) then they will count but if you have the points already is it worth the hassle of going through all the exams again? If you think that the points for the course will stay below what you have, then maybe it would be better to concentrate on OL maths and pass it.

I'm not sure I could pass Maths at all. And repeating is doing my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

maths is a lot about practice. If you can just focus on that on its own it would be better. maybe try grinds till you find someone who makes things click in your head. everyone has an ability to do maths its just finding the right pathway for understanding it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I could pass Maths at all. And repeating is doing my head in.

You definitely can. Half the problem that people have with maths is a negative "I can't do it" attitude in the first place. Tackle it as if you mean to succeed. It's honestly not that hard when you get stuck in.

I tried grinds last year, and the whole 'i can do it attitude' and in the end, I still only got a reasonable foundation mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

cloud493 wrote: »
    I tried grinds last year, and the whole 'i can do it attitude' and in the end, I still only got a reasonable foundation mark.

I know someone who failed ordinary level maths twice, went on to do arts in Uni and used that as a spring board to eventually get a senior job in the IDA, dealing with businesses.

However I've seen some of the questions on foundation maths and from what i saw I'd put it at primary level. If you can get 4 a's then it's hard to see how you can only get reasonable results in foundation maths.

What has your maths teacher said to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i dont know what the difference is this year, but there was not a big difference between ol and fl last year. So is there any point dropping? I wouldn't

smcgiff wrote: »
    I know someone who failed ordinary level maths twice, went on to do arts in Uni and used that as a spring board to eventually get a senior job in the IDA, dealing with businesses.

However I've seen some of the questions on foundation maths and from what i saw I'd put it at primary level. If you can get 4 a's then it's hard to see how you can only get reasonable results in foundation maths.

What has your maths teacher said to you?

I can do the basic maths stuff, adding, dividing, etc. I bluffed a lot last year(guessed) so. She(my current maths teacher) doesn't say a lot really. I have asked for help, but she just says 'your repeating, you should already know this' or 'for goodness its not difficult, work it out' I even tried going to the extra maths class she had on the wednesday half day, but she said a repeat shouldn't need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

how much time do you spend on maths a week?

Erm.... a lesson every day, two on a friday, thats.... 4 hours in school. Then, out of 3 hours studying a day or so, I'd do maths every other day, so in total, 13 hours a week, including the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you understand the concepts involved, extra classes and different teachers will only serve to frustrate and confuse you.

If I were you, I would try get a primary teacher to go over the basics with you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Your teacher really should be more supportive than that - if she's running extra classes then all her students have the right to attend once they are not being disruptive. For a teacher to tell you that it's really not that difficult shows that she doesn't really understand her students. I taught foundation lc maths last year and all students were told to ensure they could still get into their chosen course with FL maths - most of them were going on to do PLC courses so it was fine. Maths is all about practice - even with the new project maths course the questions will be similar. Try mastering the more practical questions first such as area and volume and money and percentages as these are topics that are easy to see the uses of. You'll be surprised how mastering these topics will then help you in other topics as your general understanding will have improved. If I was in your situation I'd stay in the OL class until the end of the school year and then after checking to see what your college course requires make your decision before the LC starts if you chose to do FL familarise yourself with the paper layout before sitting the exam. Use exam questions and the solutions available to you on different websites to help you study. Good luck!

Advertisement