Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank refused to close account

• 31-12-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm just wondering has anybody had any experiences with a bank refusing to close their account.
    I am switching from Bank of Ireland to Ulster Bank and BOI are refusing to close my old account. I have a loan with BOI and I have been told by the account switching team that this shouldn't matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The loan would be funded by your boi account. So they would prefer if you continued lodging the funds their rather than setting up a new payment.

Seems very odd, I'd complain and tell them to close it. After all your going to get hit by fees as it would no longer be your working account and you'd not meet the minimum terms to avoid the charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

KarenOD wrote: »
    I'm just wondering has anybody had any experiences with a bank refusing to close their account.
    I am switching from Bank of Ireland to Ulster Bank and BOI are refusing to close my old account. I have a loan with BOI and I have been told by the account switching team that this shouldn't matter.

write to them and tell them that you want your old current account closed,
    ie a formal instruction. ( ie you are not asking but instructing )

you are under no obligation to keep a currrent account active with BOI.

tell them that you fund your loan account via other means , EFT , transfer etc.

a friend of mine had the very same issue, exact same tactics were used.

you have a loan with them, but you are not obligated to use them for your main banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

What an awful tactic by BoI.

If BoI do not play ball, write a complaint to the Central Bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If you can go into your local branch and close the account. I tried switching my account a while back and BoI wouldn't do it. I was in a similar situation, I had a personal loan and current account.

This seems more like customer retention than any official policy. I wouldn't bother posting letters because they are easily lost and get sent to the wrong department. Just go in and tell them at the customer service desk you want the account closed. They will give you a form, just fill it in and that's that. You don't have to give any reason.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i had the exact same thing with BOI and Ulster Bank.

i went in to their branch on Baggot Street and caused all out war with them, until they agreed to close it and allow all my DD's to be transferred.

that was 5 years ago - will never deal with the bank ever again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 KarenOD

Thanks for the replies, I suppose the best thing to do is go to the bank and try get it sorted face to face.
    Ulster Bank has tried to close my bank of ireland account twice now and they have refused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭jaffa20

You need to instruct Boi to close your account. Ulster Bank can't make them.

Advertisement