Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Rihanna - a castlebar name if I ever heard it...

My wife is a primary school teacher. Pupils are mainly of foreign parents, our own native travellers and others from disadvantaged back grounds.

I look forward to every September, her new class and their names. She has taught travellers kids called Beyonce, Rihanna and Shantay (spelling??) among many others. Some African kids called Goodnews, Goodluck, Blessed, Love, Prince & Princess. These are first names!

If nothing else its a change from the usual John or Mary! She quite enjoys the names and having to call them out in class or the play ground or school tours. She gets some looks from passers by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

My name is Michelle and I hate it because any time I've seen the Jeremy Kyle show, there is always a Michelle on there and she is always a scumbag.

:(

It's not a name you hear on kids these days now anyway, it's turning into an auld ones name I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

My name is Michelle and I hate it because any time I've seen the Jeremy Kyle show, there is always a Michelle on there and she is always a scumbag.

It's not a name you hear on kids these days now anyway, it's turning into an auld ones name I guess!

Don't watch Jeremy Kyle then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

I like the name Michelle. I used to go out with a Michelle. And then there's the Beatles song, "Michelle, ma belle..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Ulick
    Hope the surname was not Magee !

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

Michelle is a beautiful name i have never known a Michelle that wasn't clever and pretty.
    Maybe you should watch less Jeremy Kyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Michelle is a beautiful name i have never known a Michelle that wasn't clever and pretty.

Thinking about it, that's been my experience too! :D

Maybe you should watch less Jeremy Kyle

Good advice! You've a name to live up to! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

I knew someone who was called Anus - well, I don't think it was spelt like that - but that is how it was pronounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

thisiswar wrote: »
    'Bentley' on Teen Mom

"Your dad's a homo Bentley! He ain't never comin' back!"

Great show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Enoch Burke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Idiot McDikbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Charmaine.. Named after the mothers favourite take away dish but spelt different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Idiot McDikbag

Ha ha good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i think we have a winner:

Buzz Michelangelo Fletcher,

now there is a mouthful of a name :eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2580809/Hes-McBaby-Tom-Fletcher-wife-Giovanna-welcome-baby-son-world.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I agree.

I think parents who do this are not really giving their children names.

They're just making a 'statement' to the world.

'I'm more Irish than thou'

Dickheads.:rolleyes:

And I think you sound like you suffer from a severe case of the Irish inferiority complex.

Why do you think Irish people who choose Irish names are so worthy of your vulgar assault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

This isn't strictly name-related, rather pronunciation. However, I used to know a woman who called her daughter 'Aoibhinn', but pronounces it 'Eavan'. She doesn't seem to realise that it makes no sense - that's a bit like me saying, "Oh, my name's Jim, but it's pronounced Derek".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MS.ing wrote: »
    nethanial
    Nathaniel. Archaic and bibilical, but it's the name from which "Nathan" is derived, so not that weird. It is very old fashioned, a bit like calling the child Jeremiah or Job though.
    I look forward to every September, her new class and their names. She has taught travellers kids called Beyonce, Rihanna and Shantay (spelling??) among many others. Some African kids called Goodnews, Goodluck, Blessed, Love, Prince & Princess. These are first names!
    African and Asian families have a tendency to take traditional names from their culture and translate the literal meaning into English rather than anglicising the name. In their native tongues these are common/desirable names. To give an example, it would be like someone naming their child "Aoibhinn" and then translating that into "Beautiful" when sending the child to school.

Personally I would rather that parents hold onto to the traditional given names rather than try to mangle a translation of it, but perhaps they think this will help the children integrate better in schools.
    ravingitup wrote: »
    This isn't strictly name-related, rather pronunciation. However, I used to know a woman who called her daughter 'Aoibhinn', but pronounces it 'Eavan'. She doesn't seem to realise that it makes no sense - that's a bit like me saying, "Oh, my name's Jim, but it's pronounced Derek".
    Not really...Aoibhinn is (or can be) pronounced Ay-vin, like Beibhinn. If you're thinking of Ay-veen, then you need a fada over the last i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It irritates me when Irish people frown on other Irish people giving their children Irish names.
    I'd imagine Polish people in Poland favour Polish names,and other nationalities likewise.
    Each to their own,with all names.
    (Mohammed O'Toole doesn't sound quite as good as Dónal O Toole.)

Just don't call your child something you can't pronounce or spell.And if you choose an Irish name,check the spelling and know how a "fada" changes a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

I don't know. Think of how Aoibheann and Aoibhinn are pronounced in everyday usage. I've never seen a comparison made between the pronunciation of Aoibhinn (pronounced like Ay-veen) and Beibhinn (pronounced like Bevin), but maybe that's just me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

She may not grow up as scum, but a lot of people will make assumptions about her family background based on her first name. Like it or not, it's true. Few employers will take a resume for a Rihanna very seriously.

I think you're right and I feel for the many Rihannas/Rhiannas/Riannas who were born before Rihanna became famous. It's not a bad name, it just has associations now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

ravingitup wrote: »
    I don't know. Think of how Aoibheann and Aoibhinn are pronounced in everyday usage. I've never seen a comparison made between the pronunciation of Aoibhinn (pronounced like Ay-veen) and Beibhinn (pronounced like Bevin), but maybe that's just me.

It would only be pronounced Ay-veen if there was a fada on the second I, otherwise It is pronounced Ay-vin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

nollaig ... Thats the irish for christmas, The fuk like ?

"Christmas come here for dinner!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Phoenix

Nearly called my daughter Rhianna back in 2005 - had a good friend from Wales named Rhian and Anna is a family name. Thankfully I didn't so she doesn't have to be a stripper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I met someone a few years ago with a newborn baby called Kevin.

Kevin is a grand name for a grown man but it sounded ridiculous on a tiny baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm coaching girls football and assessments started this morning. I met a Seltanna and a Chelle (Shell-ee).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

August, a boy..

keelanj69 wrote: »
    "Keelan..."

"Kieran, is it?"

"Keelan, K-E-E.."

'Oh, Killian"

"Yep" -.-"

What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

What's wrong with that?

Some people pronounce names differently than they should be pronounced.
    It's only a matter of time before Mary is spelt with a Z and pronounced as something else altogether.

Some people pronounce names differently than they should be pronounced.
    It's only a matter of time before Mary is spelt with a Z and pronounced as something else altogether.

Oh I thought they meant the name Killian is horrible. It's my nephew's name. He wouldn't be happy :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

vitani wrote: »
    I met someone a few years ago with a newborn baby called Kevin.

Kevin is a grand name for a grown man but it sounded ridiculous on a tiny baby.
    Don't worry, he'll grow into it. He may even be a perfect cousin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dilly.

Amzie wrote: »
    Fidelma and fanny - short for frances (seriously it's such a cruel world) it was years ago I heard a child being called it!!!

Oh god that reminds me, we moved to a new area when I was around 7 and I Became friendly with one of the neighbours. We were flicking through a newspaper when a death memorial caught my eye, the name was 'Fanny o brien' (or whatever the surname was) Being young, immature and never having heard the name before, I point it out and start laughing saying haha your ones name is Fanny 'yeah' came the reply 'that's my Granny' cue hysterical laughing from me until I looked at her on the verge of tears and realised she wasn't joking...great start to the friendship!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

chughes wrote: »
    Don't worry, he'll grow into it. He may even be a perfect cousin.

The fact that I thanked this post makes me feel old...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Ever heard of the name Noel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Off the top of my head

Moffet - yes Moffet, for a man in case anyone wondered
    Bláithín - pronounced Blaaaaaag-heeen - that's the sound of someone being sick
    Siofra - awful

Always hated the name Shea, usually found anyone with that name to be a cúnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Iarla

Pronounced ear la

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Pocahantas

McDonald's in the omni shopping centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sure Noel and Noelle are very common names, both of them mean it too. Also Natalie is apparently from natale Domini - Birthday of Christ so that is Christmas too.....I was born in February, cheers parents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Riley/ Ryley. I fecking that as a first name. It's pure trampish.

Also as someone else said, I dislike 'dog' names like Max, Ben and Sam. A desperate affliction on a poor child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Elvis.. Yes elvis.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

daithi1970 wrote: »
    The fact that I thanked this post makes me feel old...:rolleyes:

He always beat me at subbuteo (what's that dad? Is it like FIFA ??)

maryk123 wrote: »
    Iarla

Pronounced ear la

As in Tiocfaidh Iarla?? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

I honestly think any names which are more than three syllables should probably be outlawed.

"Hi, my name is Allouiscious."

Maximilian
    Alexander
    etc. etc.

Also, anything religious is probably a no no.

"So, you're name is Abraham, I am guessing you would like like to discuss the biblical Abraham and his sons, considering you have the same name."

"Ehh, I'm an atheist. I do like F. Murray Abraham though, so we could talk about him if you want."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Frawn-cis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I posted elsewhere on boards about this. In the book Freakonomics there is a chapter about baby names. One African American woman was really pissed off at her family and friends. She named her child le-ah. People were calling the child leeeeaaaaahhhh. But she said the dash was to be pronounced. She wanted the child's name to be ledashah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I have 2 kids, both with Irish names, my third child will have an Irish name too. I can't understand anyone who has a problem with Irish people giving their children Irish names.

• Advertisement

I have 2 kids, both with Irish names, my third child will have an Irish name too. I can't understand anyone who has a problem with Irish people giving their children Irish names.

Some people have different opinions to you.
    I don't like the Irish sounding names.
    But it would be boring if we were all the same.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

is Aoibheann nor pronounced Even?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

44leto wrote: »
    All the stupid Gaelic names

ANY of them

Are u Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

When the first name is almost the same as the surname.
    Zumo Bishop on Fair City, his name is Patrick Fitzpatrick.
    I met a lad before and his name was Dermot McDermot.
    What do parents be thinking sometimes?
    Any of those unpronounceable and unspellable Irish names are stupid too.
    Or normal names that are spelt differently to be cool. Shaymus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Teegan, It sounds like a Fiat estate car

• Advertisement
Advertisement