Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

oldyouth wrote: »
    Teegan, It sounds like a Fiat estate car

This is more commonly a surname, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Fiachra,Phelim,Fachtna,Tadgh,Jeremy and Aeneus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Some people have different opinions to you.
    I don't like the Irish sounding names.
    But it would be boring if we were all the same.

I know people have different opinions and everyone is free to call their kids whatever they want and if you don't like the sound of Séan or Aoife that's fine, but what I can't understand is some of the comments on here which are so against Irish names. I can't imagine the same attitude in any other country.
    Can you imagine French people slagging off French names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Jacinta.
    Pius.
    Aneas.
    Maoliosa
    Zachariah.
    Cian.

Loads more but that's enough for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The friend of the wife (school teacher because it always is), called her daughter some ridiculous sounding Irish name only to discover she had been spelling it wrong after 10 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Some people have different opinions to you.
    I don't like the Irish sounding names.
    But it would be boring if we were all the same.

I don't think the poster is referring to people just not liking the names, that's one thing, that's normal to like different names, I am less than mad about a few American ones myself. It's more to do with the pure vitriol some people seem to have to some of them, e.g. the poster who said they would backhand the parents with a child called Saoirse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Brax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Irish names, they sound naff

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Melissa30

Whatever about the stupid names like Shakira and Chardonnay. I really hate when people spell normal names different like Jakki, Sharyn, Aimee etc. Even worse these people were christened Jackie, Sharon & Amy they just decided themselves to be an idiot and change them and then get mad when people spell their name wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

is Aoibheann nor pronounced Even?

Native speaker on Forvo to the rescue:
    http://www.forvo.com/word/aoibhinn/#ga

The vowel triagraph aoi in Irish is always prononunced like a long i (í -- ee for english speakers)

Vowel diagraph AO has two prononuciations, Connacht and Ulster people prononunce it as a "long i" (equivalent to aoi). Munster speakers prononunce it as a "long e" (é -- like "ay/ae" sound in english )

Tbh english vowels are fúcked since the middle-ages. For example once you go to the Netherlands and your realise that their vowels have the same values as in Irish, it becomes alot easier to prononunce Dutch placenames.

ee in Dutch for example is prononunced identically to é in Irish -- as oppose to English "ee" which shifted to a "long i" sound in the 14-15th centuries (eg. í or ii )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

is Aoibheann nor pronounced Even?

Most people who use it as a name for their child pronounce it Ay-veen.

Most people are completely wrong. It's not different dialects or anything, there is no way Aoibheann could be pronounced like Ay-veen.

I cannot understand why parents wouldn't do a bit of research before deciding on a name for their child!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Tadgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

eviltwin wrote: »
    Irish names, they sound naff

You're probably pronouncing them wrong then! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Tadgh.

Bull

Jayden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Enda

I was talking to a fella on the phone one day and his name was Lillian.
    I desperately tried to hold in the laughter.
    I should have asked him was his wife's name Derek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Dalton

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Tadgh.

no doubt you hates Badgers as well.

• Advertisement

Most people who use it as a name for their child pronounce it Ay-veen.

Most people are completely wrong. It's not different dialects or anything, there is no way Aoibheann could be pronounced like Ay-veen.

I cannot understand why parents wouldn't do a bit of research before deciding on a name for their child!

Yeah I kept calling my cousin ee-veen but they're insistent it's ay-veen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

MJ23 wrote: »
    I was talking to a fella on the phone one day and his name was Lillian.
    I desperately tried to hold in the laughter.
    I should have asked him was his wife's name Derek.

Lillian Thuram won a world cup with France in 98

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Malachy

Horace and Eloise (overheard on a beach in spain, ) brother and sister !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

janja wrote: »

Is Eloise pronounced like elwaa? That's pretty nice I think. Horace is an abomination though.

Is Eloise pronounced like elwaa? That's pretty nice I think. Horace is an abomination though.

No elloeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nev (Neev?) on a boy pronounced as Niamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

ali Akbar raf sanjani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

boutros boutros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Melissa30 wrote: »
    Whatever about the stupid names like Shakira and Chardonnay. I really hate when people spell normal names different like Jakki, Sharyn, Aimee etc. Even worse these people were christened Jackie, Sharon & Amy they just decided themselves to be an idiot and change them and then get mad when people spell their name wrong.

My sisters name is Aimee. It's not a made up spelling it's just the French version of amy

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

"Turlough" was a guys name in my sisters secondary school. It means disappearing lake in Irish apparently. I think it is the distilled essence of douchebaggery to call your kid something like that.

Robin is another name I particularly despise due to the ambiguity of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Tommie. She's a girl.

tim3000 wrote: »
    "Turlough" was a guys name in my sisters secondary school. It means disappearing lake in Irish apparently. I think it is the distilled essence of douchebaggery to call your kid something like that.

Eh no it doesn't. You are conflating two completely different words which are anglicised to the same spelling:

Tuarlach = seasonal lake, common in the likes of South-Galway

Toirdhealbhach = name

some examples from history:

Toirdhealbhach Ua Conchobhair -- King of Connacht, High-King of Ireland (1088–1156)
    his uncle:
    Toirdhealbhach Ua Briain (grandson of Brian Boru) -- King of Munster, effective King of Ireland (1009-1086)

Toirdhealbhach Óg Donn mac Aodha meic Toirdhealbhaigh Ó Conchobair (d. 1406) -- King of Connacht, ancestor of the current "O'Conor Don"

Toirdhealbhach Ó Cearbhalláin (1670-1738) -- the "blind harper"

That name can be anglicised to Terrence as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Sydbert

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

dubhthach wrote: »
    Eh no it doesn't. You are conflating two completely words which are anglicised to same spelling:

Tuarlach = seasonal lake, common in the likes of South-Galway

Toirdhealbhach = name some examples from history:

Toirdhealbhach Ua Conchobhair -- King of Connacht, High-King of Ireland (1088–1156)
    his uncle:
    Toirdhealbhach Ua Briain (grandson of Brian Boru) -- King of Munster, effective King of Ireland (1009-1086)

Toirdhealbhach Óg Donn mac Aodha meic Toirdhealbhaigh Ó Conchobair (d. 1406) -- King of Connacht, ancestor of the current "O'Conor Don"

Toirdhealbhach Ó Cearbhalláin (1670-1738) -- the "blind harper"

That name can be anglicised to Terrence as well.

I understand where you are coming from. However from the point of view of a geologist a Turlough would mean a disappearing lake. A linguist would agree with you in your above reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I don't believe for a second that people think Niamh, Sinéad, Conor, Aisling, Seán, Saoirse etc sound ridiculous or naff or whatever, so I presume when they say "Irish names" they mean the really obscure ones.

I don't believe for a second that people think Niamh, Sinéad, Conor, Aisling, Seán, Saoirse etc sound ridiculous or naff or whatever, so I presume when they say "Irish names" they mean the really obscure ones.

You be surprised plenty of anglophone monoglot bigots about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Meadow - not joking.

Realtine wrote: »
    Meadow - not joking.

Meadow Soprano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Worked with an Apache Indian/American called Lake.

That said, the Native Indians have some fairly 'earthy' names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

My parents were hippies, so they had lots of hippy friends and I grew up playing with their kids. Earthy names like Dawn, Skye, Rainbow, Leaf, Peace and a variety of hindu names like Asha and Shanker were common :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

janja wrote: »

My favourite girl's name!! I think Eloise is so pretty. It's definitely what I'm calling all 17 of my daughters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Unless of course it's Robin in HIMYM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Given the tendency of people in showbiz to disproportionately have ambiguous names, there is no higher grade of poor journalism than this new media trend of referring to all thespians as actors (as opposed to actors and actresses).

The English equivalent of the trend for fabricated Irish names among social climbers is even worse. Parents reverting to names that died out with the aristocracy by the forties. Wallys calling their kids Finlay, Horatio, Florence, Beatrix, Prudence, Patience, all truly awful wanky names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Finlay, Horatio, Florence, Beatrix, Prudence, Patience

All very posh names. Though I do like Prudence from the Beatles song "Dear Prudence". And Florence might start becoming popular cos of yer wan, you know, from The Machine... :)

Would be great if people started naming their kids after Jeeves and Wooster characters, the likes of Bertie, Gussie, Myrtle, Freddie, Hildebrand, Percy, Reginald... ah I can see the cricket jumpers now...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Given the tendency of people in showbiz to disproportionately have ambiguous names, there is no higher grade of poor journalism than this new media trend of referring to all thespians as actors (as opposed to actors and actresses).

What's high grade poor journalism like? Average journalism?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

What's high grade poor journalism like? Average journalism?

Touche :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

MJ23 wrote: »
    When the first name is almost the same as the surname.
    Zumo Bishop on Fair City, his name is Patrick Fitzpatrick.
    I met a lad before and his name was Dermot McDermot.
    What do parents be thinking sometimes?
    Any of those unpronounceable and unspellable Irish names are stupid too.
    Or normal names that are spelt differently to be cool. Shaymus

On a similar note, parents with the surname 'Hunt' who call their son Michael. I know of at least three Mike/Mick Hunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭2013LEO

I was in Dunnes one day & heard a woman roaring at the top of her voice "Shakira", as a little girl was running around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

heard recently of the name 'carra' for a girl. Guy is a big liverpool fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Please excuse my awful spelling. On hols as a child my younger sister was playing in the pool and starts talking to and playing with a little girl.
    My Sister asked for her name Gethsamne Rainbow ! Little Gethsemane was not shy and in fact roared out her name for all to hear.

Advertisement