Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

How do you actually pronounce caoilfhionn? Someone I know of has that name.
    Is it a literal Irish pronounciation of the spelling?

Is your surname Ramone by any chance?

I wish.I can't play guitar, I tried.

My cousin named one of his Zoe. Lovely name, but there was a dog in the family called Zoe before! I don't think you can use pet names for kids? I've owned a Fionn, Zara, Marky, JJ, Amelia and Harvey. To name a few. I couldn't name a kid after a pet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    'Runt', but with a 'C'

A friend has a son who's name is Queen-vin. Irish for Kevin. It's spelt with Caoimheann or something like it. Worse than that, something you'd struggle with even as a gaeilgoir.

My South African friends I have mentioned on this topic a few times. They want to be Irish. They named their first kid Erin, their second kid Bhailie (means home and pronounced Bailey, apparently), Arro, picked out of the sky that one, then the twins Hazel and Willow.

Wouldn't infuriate me so much save that I called them out on the "h" in Bhailie's name to be told they got it from this source, no matter how much I tried to explain it was a grammar thing and the h didn't belong in there, they told me they know better. The guy of the family now says "CNUT YOU TAH" and expects me to says "Ceart go leor". He also had a massive row with his own family lately because he claims to be Irish (Born in SA, married a girl from SA with an Irish grandmother, lived in Ireland for 11 years) and they asked him to cop on and support his own.

This makes me mad! I read Lovin Dublin or dole threads on boards for this kind of anger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Outside of the Language Hawks it's a secret.;)

To normal people the 'it sounds like a rusty iron gate squealing in a gale' analogy fits in mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Having to go through life spelling your name out every time you ring a business or service is a curse.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Perfect, I'll just avoid saying that name in case I mispronounce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Perfect, I'll just avoid saying that name in case I mispronounce it.

I do know one and she says 'key'-lawn'
    I thought it should be 'kale-finn'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

For me it has to be Chardonnay...

Picture a woman with the strongest Dublin accent imaginable screaming after her dear Chardonnay in a busy shop. The sound of her voice still haunts me to this day, not to mention the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's pronounced Keelan. It's a lovely name but an obnoxious spelling.
    A friend has a son who's name is Queen-vin. Irish for Kevin. It's spelt with Caoimheann or something like it. Worse than that, something you'd struggle with even as a gaeilgoir.

Do you mean Caoimhín? I wouldn't have thought it was a rare name, it's one I've come across plenty of times. It's pronounced Kwee-veen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Do you mean Caoimhín? I wouldn't have thought it was a rare name, it's one I've come across plenty of times. It's pronounced Kwee-veen.

How could a parent do that to their child? They must hate the child, or hate themselves for letting one slip through the net.
    Some hero shinner politician is called Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin. I had to look that up and copy and paste it. Imagine ringing a taxi or a takeaway and having to spell that out every time. I've a friend with an odd surname and when this happens he just says "Murphy".

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    How could a parent do that to their child? They must hate the child, or hate themselves for letting one slip through the net.
    Some hero shinner politician is called Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin. I had to look that up and copy and paste it. Imagine ringing a taxi or a takeaway and having to spell that out every time. I've a friend with an odd surname and when this happens he just says "Murphy".

Is it really that strange? I don't like the name myself but I didn't think it was that unusual! Maybe it's cos I went to an Irish primary school so I was used to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is it really that strange? I don't like the name myself but I didn't think it was that unusual! Maybe it's cos I went to an Irish primary school so I was used to it!

It's Kevin O'Collins in it's beardo Irisígi incarnation. Normal enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Gwynplaine wrote: »

I love my name. People are entitled to name their child whatever they want, think of all the foreign names people can't spell.

Ah god...when I saw the last poster in the thread I thought someone had signed up with a new username to post on here as a joke :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

A friend of mine had a childhood friend called Jenelope. Like a mix of Jennifer and Penelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

There were a bloke in work who called his kid Nelson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hrududu wrote: »
    A friend of mine had a childhood friend called Jenelope. Like a mix of Jennifer and Penelope.

At least it wasn't a boy called Jackalope :D

(It's a mythical creature like a hare with horns)

I always thought caoilfhionn should sound like keel-yun
    or kwale-yun

keelan sounds ok on its own though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

toptom wrote: »
    Ha ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

bluewolf wrote: »
    I always thought caoilfhionn should sound like keel-yun
    or kwale-yun

keelan sounds ok on its own though

The "caoi" is pronounced the same as the "caoi" in Caoimhe in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

HA HA.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Heard "Kazu" on a mentioned tv show tonight! :-O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

"Our little boy was born last night. Welcome to the world Rae-Joe"

Courtesy of Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

fussyonion wrote: »
    "Our little boy was born last night. Welcome to the world Rae-Joe"

Courtesy of Facebook.

That's a stripper from Alabama if ever there was one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Saw a news story about a girl who helped her mother when the mother was in labour. All very sweet, except when they revealed the baby's name...

Elsa-Monet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 evajean

Alowishus

No. Seriously!

Why would you do that to a child???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

evajean wrote: »
    Alowishus

No. Seriously!

Is it not "Aloysius".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloysius
    Aloysius (/æləˈwɪʃəs/ al-ə-wish-əs) is a given name. It is a Latinisation of the names Louis, Lewis, Luis, Luigi, Ludwig, and so on. It has Germanic origins and means, "fame and war." In the US, the name is rare, with babies receiving the name less than 0.001% since the 1940s, according to Social Security Administration data. It is more common in Liberia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 evajean

i dont know tbh

i only heard the poor child called it by the father, i didnt ask him how it was spelt!!

either way its terrible.......

to make it worse he also called the child 'wish' and 'wishy'.........in public ffs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Aidan - its just not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Was in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre today and a mother spoke to her toddler and called her Portia.
    I couldn't help but wonder if the child has a sister called Incontinentia Buttox........ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

chughes wrote: »
    Was in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre today and a mother spoke to her toddler and called her Portia.
    I couldn't help but wonder if the child has a sister called Incontinentia Buttox........ :)
    Someone with a love of Shakespeare perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I knew a girl that wanted to call her planned baby Portia but was influenced by Portia de Rossi, it was about the time she got together with Ellen De Generes. I think she had a boy... Hope she didn't call him Shylock!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DexysGrl

I have a friend who named her son Clint... and what's worse is that she writes in all block capitals and sometimes when she writes her own son's name down on paper it looks like another word entirely....

hint: SEE yoU Next Tuesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was on the phone to a utility company yesterday and the woman on the other end said her name was "De-bor-ah".
    As in: "D-bore-ah".
    I think she's trying to posh up "Debra"

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

I was introduced to a guy a few years ago and he told me his name was roger rabbit. I looked at him as if he was taking the piss and he replied " I know, I know, I was born before that _ucking rabbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Two women in the supermarket discussing "Princess and Billy".
    I wonder how will Katie Price's daughter will feel when she is old enough to realise that she is Bunny and her older sister is Princess. I thought Princess was bad enough but "Bunny"? Ffs, what was Katie thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I wonder how will Katie Price's daughter will feel when she is old enough to realise that she is Bunny and her older sister is Princess. I thought Princess was bad enough but "Bunny"? Ffs, what was Katie thinking?

Career options based on her own vision for her daughter. Hefner will probably be still hiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

A few years ago a guy called his son after the full team of a Premier Div club. This fellow has less class - sorry Millwall fans:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/a-man-named-his-newborn-son-after-his-favorite-soccer-club/vp-BBnencj

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

I don't get it...

:confused:

• Advertisement

Armadilla

The female form of Armadillo, I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

fussyonion wrote:
    I was on the phone to a utility company yesterday and the woman on the other end said her name was "De-bor-ah". As in: "D-bore-ah". I think she's trying to posh up "Debra"

I had a child in my class a few years ago who pronounced her name like that. Took me ages to say it properly! She wasn't too impressed if I said it wrong but then again 6 year olds never are! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Sonny

fussyonion wrote: »
    I was on the phone to a utility company yesterday and the woman on the other end said her name was "De-bor-ah".
    As in: "D-bore-ah".
    I think she's trying to posh up "Debra"

That's the proper spelling of the name though. And that's how it should be pronounced but rarely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Was watching an NFL game a few weeks back and there was a Dont'a playing (pronounced Dante)....Dont'a Hightower.

By far not the worst named guy in American Football:
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    Tshimanga "Tim" Biakabutuka
    Yourhighness Morgan
    Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
    Fair Hooker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I still reckon Aeneus is the worst moniker to bestowed on a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭George White

BizzyC wrote: »
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    Yourhighness Morgan
    Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
    Fair Hooker

D'Brickashaw Ferguson's first name is his mother's corruption of the name De Bricassart, the Norman surname of the romanticised Irish paedophile priest played by Richard Chamberlain in the Thorn Birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The names that really baffle me are those clearly given to children because of some footballer, football manager, etc. Names like Ferguson Murphy, Ferdinand Daly or Beckham Molloy for example.

BizzyC wrote: »
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    Yourhighness Morgan
    Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
    Fair Hooker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss&channel=UCUsN5ZwHx2kILm84-jPDeXw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kid dropped a yoghurt in the supermarket today.

''Hudson ya little bollix ya''

Advertisement