Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

my mates sister named their son Ira.. no shes not a republican,apparently its a jewish name and she likes it. Not a name i would have picked going by recent history in ireland. I can see a few awkard moments for him later on in life.

And a red Indian name. He was one of the guys who raised the American flag at some battle.

"Call him drunken Ira Hayes, he won't answer anymore. Not the whiskey drinkin Indian or the marine they sent to war"...

Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

padjo5 wrote: »
    Gobnet (Irish name pronounced Gubnet)- WTF!!

An old college lecturer of mine has that name, she matches it perfectly *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

An old college lecturer of mine has that name, she matches it perfectly *shudders*

A bit like the Governess on the chase.

jca wrote: »
    A bit like the Governess on the chase.

Ha, yep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Effina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Shaneese: Former neighbour of mine named her child this, a pasty white Irish child shouldn't have a name that sounds like someone's name in that old 90's show "Moesha"

Kaelem: Dating a girl right now and her sister has a child named Kaelem, he's about 2 or something, cute as a button but the poor child has an idiot for a parent.

Hate these stupid attempts at giving the child an exotic name, like when they go for a job in years to come I think employers won't take them seriously if they have some goofy name given to them by their folks who fail miserably to come up with a nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

And a red Indian name. He was one of the guys who raised the American flag at some battle.

"Call him drunken Ira Hayes, he won't answer anymore. Not the whiskey drinkin Indian or the marine they sent to war"...

Or something.

Good old Johnny cash! Ballad of Ira Hayes is a good tune.

I've always hated the name Keith. I don't know a single Keith that isn't an eejit and there's also the way it catches in your throat... KEY... ETH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Good old Johnny cash! Ballad of Ira Hayes is a good tune.

I've always hated the name Keith. I don't know a single Keith that isn't an eejit and there's also the way it catches in your throat... KEY... ETH.

I always have Dustin the Turkey's voice in my head whenever I hear the name Keith, he used to always take the piss out of Keith Duffy from Boyzone and he'd just repeat "KEITH!" over and over in this strong North side Dublin accent back in The Den days. So when someone says "Hi I'm Keith" I think of Dustin saying "KEITH" and I chuckle to myself

I'm peculiar I know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sure it's been said, but... Dadden.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

dubhthach wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about people using pre-reform spelling when there exists often a simplified spelling that deletes characters that are no longer pronounced.

Compare:
    Ruaidhrí -> Ruairí
    Clíodhna -> Clíona
    Sadbh -> Sabh
    Meadhbh -> Méabh
    Odhrán -> Oran

Are they maybe examples of different dialects of the Irish language to explain different spellings? Also think the last name on the list could be Irish for Odran not Oran.

Wivonnie, aka Yvonne.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

hondasam wrote: »
    Shakira
    Add your reply here.There were 2 Shakira's in my daughters pre school class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

There is a kid in my bosses kids school called Zeppelin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Hate these stupid attempts at giving the child an exotic name, like when they go for a job in years to come I think employers won't take them seriously if they have some goofy name given to them by their folks who fail miserably to come up with a nice one.

Somehow I don't think that's going to be an issue for many of them

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Thats a sign of someone with no taste,
    they name their child after a pop singer ,
    eg shakira ,beyonce,
    in the 80,s there were lots of girls called kylie .
    It seems to be a working class trend.
    Is it not common sense ?
    anyone should be able to pronounce your name by reading it.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    Thats a sign of someone with no taste,
    they name their child after a pop singer ,
    eg shakira ,beyonce,
    in the 80,s there were lots of girls called kylie .
    It seems to be a working class trend.
    Is it not common sense ?
    anyone should be able to pronounce your name by reading it.

I like your lyrics.

Want to collaborate?

We can rule the world, for a while

Or at least for an Irish mile

Dot dot dot dash dash

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Drew Peacock

Rime
    Slim
    2 dogs
    Miracel (sic)
    Payne

Initial

Secundo/a

Ma

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Concepta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

tupenny wrote: »
    Concepta

You're kidding me? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Priyah just popped up on my facebook feed..

Congrats and all but fecking hell

I pray you
    Prie Dieu
    Eastern name?
    Good/bad game.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Any first name the same as their parent is just awful

Grandparents names OK?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Esel wrote: »
    I pray you
    Prie Dieu
    Eastern name?
    Good/bad game.

pry-ya

I would have guessed, if you mean eastern as in, made up, I concur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Esel wrote: »

Grandparents names OK?

for me its not ok, call your kid as you wish but calling them after you our your parents is just lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I know a girl called Priya. I think it is a beautiful name. I googled it and I think it means "beloved"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

for me its not ok, call your kid as you wish but calling them after you our your parents is just lazy.

I'll be calling my son (if I have one) after his Grandad, he's the greatest man I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Indian name. As common there as Mary is here. I worked for a company with an Indian office once. There was an awful lot of Priyahs in the email list. It was important to remember their surnames..........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Not as bad as a first name the same as the parent's surname. The 1916 leader Thomas MacDonagh named his son Donagh. Donagh MacDonagh.

(He was born long before the Rising, the name wasn't a tribute to his father following the execution or anything).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

tupenny wrote: »
    Concepta

I'll see your Concepta and raise you an Attracta. My trump is Abina.

I also saw an Atlanta on some legal documents lately. That's just pretentious. For plain ordinary wholesome God-awful names I will stick with Attracta and Abina.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I'll see your Concepta and raise you an Attracta. My trump is Abina.

I also saw an Atlanta on some legal documents lately. That's just pretentious. For plain ordinary wholesome God-awful names I will stick with Attracta and Abina.

Jemima

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fachtna.

Sorry if it's your name, but it's like a cross between feck, fack & foch ... na :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

LordSutch wrote: »
    Fachtna.

Sorry if it's your name, but it's like a cross between feck, fack & foch ... na :(

Could be worse it's historically anglicised as Festus (the Latin is: Fachtnanus)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

No idea how it's spelled, but I know of a fella my nephew is friends with, and his name is Neesha.
    I also know of a fella and his name is Dermot McDermot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Probably the Irish name Naoise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    No idea how it's spelled, but I know of a fella my nephew is friends with, and his name is Neesha.
    I also know of a fella and his name is Dermot McDermot.

Naoise maybe? It's my cousin's name too. I've heard it used as both a girl's or boy's name.

Phil and Gary Neville's dad was called Neville Neville. Whatever about having a "Mc" or an "O'" in the middle, that's completely taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Rocco
    Nico

Olishi4 wrote: »
    I know a girl called Priya. I think it is a beautiful name. I googled it and I think it means "beloved"

I think it is Indian. There is a character on 'Emmerdale' called Priya - she is beautiful.
    Quite like the name.

• Advertisement

Indian name. As common there as Mary is here. I worked for a company with an Indian office once. There was an awful lot of Priyahs in the email list. It was important to remember their surnames..........:)

Had not seen this post before my comment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

On an episode of One Born Every Minute, a new mother called her son Kale. She believed it was Irish.

Has anyone ever heard of a person called Kale? I've been around the block a few times and I ain't ever heard of no Kale, apart from the cabbage variety!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 c1ans7even

Isis not sure if spelt that way but that's how it sounds poor little girl about 5 years old
    god knows what the parents were thinking im sure they regret it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

On an episode of One Born Every Minute, a new mother called her son Kale. She believed it was Irish.

Has anyone ever heard of a person called Kale? I've been around the block a few times and I ain't ever heard of no Kale, apart from the cabbage variety!

Is that how she spelled it? The letter K isn't even in the Irish alphabet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Oddly enough, she's not entirely wrong. Apparently it's a Greek name (male and female), but derived from Hebrew, Gaelic and Germanic roots.

I have no idea what the Gaelic root is though. And yeah, overall here, it just sounds like you're calling your sprog "Cabbage".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Maybe it came from the name Kalen? I think that's Gaelic. I know a few kids called Kalen. I wouldnt choose the name but it's not bad. I'd be the same about Kale though, I just think of curly kale.

Or maybe she was confusing it with Kane?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

According to this website 'Kale' is a modern invented name.
    http://nameberry.com/babyname/Kale

No Gaelic/Irish connection as far as I can tell.

Curly Kale?

According to The Almighty Wiki, it's Greek. There are quite a few people called Kale, although I'd say it's rare enough in the English-speaking world.

They do say -derived- from Gaelic/Germanic/Hebrew though. Maybe it's Kalen (or the appropriate Irish spelling- Culainn?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

c1ans7even wrote: »
    Isis not sure if spelt that way but that's how it sounds poor little girl about 5 years old
    god knows what the parents were thinking im sure they regret it now

probably thinking of the Egyptian Goddess and not so unusual.
    That girl would have been 3 before Isis came to public attention

I have to admit, I like the name Isis. It's got a nice history to it, and it's a lovely-sounding word. The connotations these days are really unfortunate, but then again, Ira is/was a common Jewish name. Having it in -Ireland-, well...connotations again!

Depends where you're from and what your background is and all that.

Edit: It's a bit funny that people give out about people complaining about "cultural appropriation" and then scream blue murder at furrin names. I wouldn't name my child Isis (even without ISIS being around), because it means nothing to me other than that it's pretty. But hey, if someone wants to use it, I wouldn't comment on it any more than I would on the more normal "Iris".

LordSutch wrote: »
    Fachtna.

Feichín is even worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement