Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

We are top five in rushing yards and literally last in the league in passing yards.

Today, our offense did one thing 52 times and the other half as many times. Have a guess which? :rolleyes:

I would say it's beyond belief, but well, it's not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah expected more running tbh Paully. There were stretches in the game where the RB's did well and then you guys went back to a couple of throws and the ball came back to the Titans.

Flacco wasnt great so was surprised the left it in his hands so much

https://twitter.com/jeffrisdon/status/932955830143602688

Frightening.

We are 5-5 with basically no passing offense.

T-Sizzle is playing like a 25 year old, not a 35 year old coming off a number of serious injuries.

I hope he doesn't get tested anytime soon. :pac:

That wasn't pretty, and we are extremely lucky we've played the Packers and Texans without Rodgers and Watson, but a win's a win.

I have an awful feeling we are going to just miss out on the wildcard spots however. That said, we have literally no passing offense so it's astonishing that we are over .500 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I think we'll make it, be favourites in 4 of the last 5 games probably and strong favourites in the last 3. Even 9-7 should do it. Defense has produced 3 shutouts, passing offense dreadful, you might say it's 2000 all over again.

Devastated. :(

That loss will be hard to recover from.

Well, that wasn't pretty but a win's a win which is the most important thing at this stage of the season. Nice to move on from last week's heartbreak too.

I read somewhere we had an 81% chance of making the playoffs prior to tonight's game, according to the statistical models. You'd think that'll have creeped up slightly now. The Chiefs winning last night was good news too as we hold the tiebreaker over the Chargers, and I believe we'll have it over the Bills too.

Colts and Bengals next up so if we don't get the job done we have no one to blame but ourselves really and there can be no excuses.

If we get in, with our defense you just never know.

ESPN have the Bills with the tie breaker because of strength of victory. Hardly any chance they win both their last 2 though.

matthew8 wrote: »
    ESPN have the Bills with the tie breaker because of strength of victory. Hardly any chance they win both their last 2 though.

I read one of the Ravens guys saying even if we both win out we'll have the edge in common opponents which will give us the nod over them when all is said and done.

• Advertisement

It says minimum of four, only common opponents the teams have are Dolphins and Bengals. Ravens to finish 3-0 is winning out, Bills 2-1 if doing the same. Obviously that's 6 separate games but I don't know if they need 4 separate opponents or 4 separate games, and I don't know if the games are 4 each or 4 total.

Well the ESPN playoff machine gives it to the Ravens (current standings are what I had seen earlier) with both at 10-6 so I guess that's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The CBS broadcast team say if the Ravens win out, they're in. They say the only reason it shows the Bills in the 6th spot right now is that the computer simulation doesn't take the 5th tiebreaker into account (which we currently hold) into account

Dean Pees to retire at the end of the season. I never, ever thought I’d say this a couple of years ago - but he'll be missed.

That said, it’ll surely be a very attractive job for someone as our D is stacked.

Lots of current head coaches who are about to get the bullet would be decent candidates on paper for this, but Harbaugh does like to promote from within so the new DC will probably come internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Chuck Pagano back as DC please!! Welcome back any day in my opinion

Super aggressive, I remember Alex Smith for the 49’ers getting sacked nine times on MNF as one standout game

I had a look at the Ravens assistant coaches and the only one with much of a profile is the defensive line coach Joe Cullen. He was hired to replace long time coach Clarence Brooks RIP. I guess Cullen will do an interview

Here we go lads!

9 point favourites. At home. In the freezing cold. We're 15-2 when we've played at home with the temperature less than 40 degrees.

Win and we're in. There can be no excuses.

• Advertisement

Well, that's just heartbreaking. I've been sat here speechless since the end of the game.

We couldn't really have asked for a better opportunity. At home to a 6-9 team and 9 point favourites. One of those games where you just say "if we don't win, we don't deserve to go to the playoffs" and that's what it unfortunately is.

We were 4-5 at the bye and it's a credit to the coaching and team that we managed to turn that around and go 5-1 up until tonight with the sole loss being a 1 pointer in Pittsburgh, and with a squad as average as ours upon reflection it's almost an impossibility to win 6 games in 7, but it doesn't make it any easier to take. So many dropped catches tonight, sloppy tackling on run defense, the Moore pick-six which was ridiculously unlucky. :( Of course we did get a couple of breaks too (the Boyle incompletion and the flag at midfield for the hit on "defenseless receiver" Campenaro) and of course our offense couldn't take advantage.

3 years in a row with no playoffs now. 5-8, 8-8 and 9-7 the last 3 seasons. I do also think it's important to mention that we wouldn't have beaten the Packers without the Rodgers injury, maybe not even the Texans without Watson's injury or the Colts without Luck, so realistically I think we're an 8-8, definition of average team. I remember at the start of the year when we were predicting our record, the vast majority said around 8-8 with an excellent defense and the offense unable to pass the ball, and that's almost precisely how it turned out. If we can see it.....

I think we need to invest a LOT of draft capital and free agency into the offense for 2018. When you have Perriman a healthy scratch, Moore going out with a concussion, and us then down to 3 receivers, it just shows how much busting on a first round pick really costs you as time goes on so it's vital we have a good draft this year with playmakers coming in and making a difference immediately but I hope that bust doesn't play on Ozzie's mind.

Also, what the **** has happened to our home support? Empty seats galore today and I understand it was horrendously cold but it's not just this game, it has been the case all year. That stadium should, and in any other year would, have been rocking but I have to say our support was poor for such a key game. Not a knock on the guys who made the effort to go out and attend, but it could have been so much better with a full house.

Anyway, a very disappointing night and ultimately, despite the streak at the end of the season, another disappointing year when we fail to make the playoffs. No matter how good the defense is, we need to establish a functioning passing offense to complement it before we'll ever have real success again.

Alex Collins

212 carries
    973 yds rushing
    6 rushing TDs

23 catches
    187 yds
    0 TDs

Not a complete back but a good one and did great considering he played 15 games. Had some fumbles but the coaches stuck with him

I’m gonna take this away as the bright spot for 2017

Unrestricted free agents

Mike Wallace WR
    52 catches, 748 yds, 4 TDs. A down year compared to last year. Will be 32 entering next season. Let test FA

Ryan Mallett QB
    Suits the system and probably will be back on a cheap deal. I'd prefer to go with a young player like Josh Woodrum who is on the practice squad

Crockett Gilmore TE
    Plagued by injuries but is a strong blocker and productive when healthy. Resign on a reasonable contract

Brett Urban DE
    Has been a starter when available but has missed almost two and a half seasons with various injuries. I'd like him back but he will test FA

Ryan Jensen C
    Sign!! My only FA priority. Has been with the team a few years and finally established himself. Having seeing the like of Zuttah and Gradowski we now have a competent possibly top 15 center. Pay the man

Terence West RB
    Let hit FA

Michael Campanaro WR
    Has talent for sure and offered something different to the other WR's but is made of glass and I'm outta patience, let hit FA

Ben Watson TE
    Class act, top guy but he's 37 so will probably retire and I would not bring back anyway

James Hurst OG
    Very versatile, gets a lot of hate on the message boards but he has a role. Bring back on a cheap deal. Never fulfilled that potential he had when his claim to fame was shutting down Jadevon Clowney in college. Sure he had an injury, went undrafted but hasn't been the NFL starter I expected. He's cheap I say bring him back

Brandon Boykin CB
    Had a great reputation in Philadelphia, not so much in Pittsburgh and has done nothing in Baltimore. Let hit FA

Steven Johnson ILB
    I don't recall him doing much and the Ravens are good at hitting on late round/undrafted linebackers. Let hit FA

Luke Bowako C/OG
    Was traded from the Jags. Unlikely he'll be cut after being traded for. If Jensen gets paid elsewhere he'll be expected to be the center next year

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun/status/947828037286088704

That’s a very fair point.

Ozzie and co have been living off reputation the past number of years. The drafting needs to be a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun/status/947828037286088704

That’s a very fair point.

Ozzie and co have been living off reputation the past number of years. The drafting needs to be a lot better.

Love Ozzie but we should never have given Flacco the big contract after the SuperBowl, we have been paying the price since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

radharc wrote: »
    Love Ozzie but we should never have given Flacco the big contract after the SuperBowl, we have been paying the price since.

In fairness to Ozzie, Flacco had him over a barrel for that contract. He was in the last year of his contract going into 2012, had one of the best playoff runs in history and won the SB and then went looking for a contract. He could have named his price on several teams if we didn't sign him and there was no way the fanbase would have allowed him to let Flacco walk. Don't forget a lot of people (myself included) thought Flacco would push on to a higher and more consistent level after the SB win. Instead he went back to regular season Flacco in 2013 (if i'm remembering right) and then just fell off a cliff rapidly after that.

I can forgive Ozzie the Flacco deal but the consistently bad draft picks are hard to forgive. We haven't had a good early round pick since Jimmy Smith really that I can recall. Sure we pick up players in later rounds that fill a hole but its a long time since we drafted a player who become a top player at their position. Even Jimmy, as great as I think he is gets injured far too often which while not his fault hurts his big time.

I'm a big fan of the excellent over the cap website. There are a few of these type of sites around but I like this most

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/baltimore-ravens/

Just looking at cap savings if they want to go that way

Jeremy Maclin
    Cap hit: 7.5 million
    Savings if cut: 5 million

Brandon Carr
    Cap hit: 7 million
    Savings if cut: 6 million

Austin Howard:
    Cap hit: 7.5 million
    Savings if cut: 6.5 million

Danny Woodhead:
    Cap hit: 3.75 million
    Savings if cut: 3 million

Lardarius Webb
    Cap hit: 2.45 million
    Savings if cut: 2.05 million

And for the craic Joe Flacco :pac:
    Cap hit: 24.75 million
    No savings instead dead money of 4 million

None of this is new info, I think the main site did similar stats. Just these are the main candidates if cap room is needed. I think the team deserve some credit how they structured some of these contracts to include very little dead money in the final year. Not backloading the contracts gives the team an option to make easy cuts. Jaysus we were paying dead money on that Ray Rice contract over two years after he was gone!

I would keep Carr, solid player and sure he was abused by Antonio Brown but he's the best receiver (arguably player!) in the league, no shame in that. Carr is super reliable and never missed a game in his career. I want him around

I would cut Woodhead, I was never a fan. Some fans love him, hmmm not for me

I would let Howard battle for his job in training camp. The Ravens have a few young lineman on the roster and they deserve a shot. I think Howard will keep his job though in 2018

Webb will likely lose his job to Chuck Clark who was a late draft pick last year. Clark started his rookie year on special teams as 6th round safeties do and was seeing defensive snaps as the year went on. I'd miss Webb, was our best defensive back for a few years early in his career. Maybe they will keep him around as a veteran backup and to contribute in certain packages. His cap hit is not big at all

The Ravens are so incredibly poor at drafting receivers who can say they will have anyone good to beat out Maclin. His cap number is quite high, it's not a great situation. I don't realy know what to do here :confused:

We badly need to hit on a difference making receiver in the draft this year or to splash out in free agency, but the list below makes depressing reading.

We have drafted 25 receivers in our history, look at the state of this:

2016 - Chris Moore
    2015 - Breshad Perriman, Darren Waller
    2014 - Mike Campanaro
    2013 - Aaron Mellette
    2012 - Tommy Streeter
    2011 - Torrey Smith, Tandon Doss
    2010 - David Reed
    2008 - Marcus Smith, Justin Harper
    2007 - Yamon Figurs
    2006 - Demetrius Williams
    2005 - Mark Clayton
    2004 - Devard Darling, Clarence Moore, Derek Abney
    2002 - Ron Johnson, LaMont Brightful, Javin Hunter
    2000 - Travis Taylor
    1999 - Brandon Stokley
    1998 - Patrick Johnson
    1996 - Jermaine Lewis, James Roe

If there's a franchise who has done anywhere near worse than us at drafting WR's I would love to see them as it would be one hell of an achievement.

Jaysus that's a depressing list

Jermaine Lewis was an All Pro returner but not much of a reciever

Brandon Stokely and Torrey Smith having long careers I guess though neither were a Number 1 receiver ever and barely a number 2

Derek Mason
    Anquan Boldin
    Steve Smith

Best receivers in franchise history and actually I'd put them in that order, imo of course :) Maybe that's the route they'll go down

https://twitter.com/purplereignshow/status/956703808117202944

Interesting one.

I’d be gutted if we took Allen, but it looks like the front office are taking the first real steps in the Flacco succession plan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dean Pees is our new DC, what's your thoughts on him?

Missed this earlier in the week but I see Ozzie is stepping down and De Costa will take over from him at the end of next season. No surprise at all really, it has been coming for a few years now. He has also been linked with almost every available GM job in the league the last few years but knew he would be staying to take over from Ozzie at some stage and is on good money as it is.

I suspect nothing will really change from an operational point of view, but the drafting (which was our biggest strength for a long time) needs to get a lot better as it has been very poor in recent years.

Oh, and 5 years ago tonight:

article-2272669-17550196000005DC-659_634x421.jpg

5 years! Where the hell does the time go? :eek:

There's a really good piece in the Baltimore Sun today with comments from Reed, Lewis, Rice and co. Not to detract from the good feeling that Super Bowl brought, but I found a couple of comments when they were discussing what has gone wrong since then to be somewhat eye-opening:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-super-bowl-five-years-0204-story.html
    “Harbaugh could’ve done a better job, but he’d rather have guys that are yes men instead of men who were going to step out there and go to war,” says Bernard Pollard, the safety who helped set a hard-hitting tone for the 2012 team. “I believe deep down inside, he broke up something that was truly special when he shouldn’t have done it. You could tell me otherwise, but I know it’s killing him and eating at him because he could’ve been a guy that benefited from two or three Super Bowls rather than just one and losing seasons after that.”

He’s the sharpest critic of Harbaugh, but others share the same general outlook.

“Of course you see something missing,” says Reed, who sometimes butted heads with coaches but was also revered as a powerful influence on younger teammates. “Leadership means a lot, leadership and communication. That’s huge. Of course you can see something missing, the way guys carry themselves.”

Then again, you lose Hall of Famers to retirement, your best offensive weapon decides to KO his wife in an elevator etc, it's not easy to overcome that and was never going to be. There was always going to be a transition period after that win. As always with these things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

The issue I would have is that we seem no closer now to turning the corner than we were a few years ago and the same problems (mainly having no passing offense) are still as evident as ever.

Jesus, we only got a 6th round comp pick for Wagner. I was hoping for a 3rd! :eek:

• Advertisement

I find this bizarre :confused:

Crockett Gilmore is a good TE, good enough to be a starter but has been plagued with injuries. He was facing into free agency and his career in the league is not over as he’ll get a contract somewhere.

He has bulked up to 305lbs and wants to be a guard. Ok he is beastly strong and he was never fast to begin with but now he has to beat out offensive linemen who played the position all their lives

Well good luck to him. I would have been happy to see in Baltimore in 2018 as a cheap TE. He’s good enough to make the 53 imo. I don’t think he’ll be back now.
    Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiecsun
    3m3 minutes ago
    More
    Interesting news on one of the Ravens pending FAs: Crockett Gillmore is making the transition to a new position. Previously a tight end, Gillmore is moving to the offensive line. He's been training w/former NFL player LeCharles Bentley who runs a highly-respected OL Academy.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiecsun
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Gillmore has long talked about wanting to play the offensive line. He caught 51 balls over his first three NFL seasons, but injuries limited him to just 17 games over past three years. He's healthy again and he's added considerable bulk to make the transition.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiecsun
    25s25 seconds ago
    More
    It's unclear how this will impact a potential return to the Ravens in free agency for Gillmore. But they figure to be intrigued. Gillmore was a very good blocker as tight end. Has the mindset and physicality to make transition and it's not unprecedented either.

Starting to think more and more that we're going to end up going O-line with the first round pick, and I'm starting to get more and more on-board with the idea too.

I've been banging the drum for offensive playmakers all year, but I think Ridley is probably the only WR selecting at #16 and there is a lot more depth with guys from round 2 onwards.

Say we took someone like Orlando Brown/VConnor Williams/Mike McGlinchey and he works out, we'd have Stanley, Yanda and the new draftee which could give us one of the better lines in the league. If we could keep Jensen and add him to that it would be one of the best no question.

I hated the Stanley pick at the time but he is turning into a stud, so yeah, it won't be get any hearts racing, but maybe we'd be better off going this route. Don't get me wrong, I think if Ridley is on the board that we'll probably take him, but if not I can see it being OT.

However, the caveat here is that if we do go OT in the first, we simply must keep the focus on offense in rounds 2 and 3 IMO.

When all is said and done, we badly need to come out of this draft hitting on at least one WR, ideally two.

We brought in four linemen last year

Drafted:
    Nico Siragusa G
    Jermaine Eluemunor T

Traded
    Luke Bowanko C

Signed
    Matt Skura G

Of those Skura was the most impressive and can be a starter in the league right now.

Alex Lewis is coming back and can play guard and right tackle.
    Austin Howard did fine at right tackle last year and is under contract

I get the thinking of drafting a tackle and having him here the next five years or longer but I’m looking at Howard and Lewis and both can do that job.

I think Jensen gets paid elsewhere, he’s earned it and there are teams with over 50 million of cap space to spend and can overpay

Stanley Lewis Skura Yanda Howard

That’s how I see week 1. If there is no WR in round 1 and it seems there will not just try and trade back. They’ve done it many times.

Lots of players to hit on round 2 imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Wow can't believe i'm the first to post since the draft. I'm delighted with Lamar and annoyed about Hurst, seemed like a reach to me taking him that early but it all worked out ok now we got Jackson. Hopefully Flacco starts to actually play nearer to his contract for this year and Jackson is ready to take over once we release Joe. Its the first draft in years that I was genuinely excited for the pre-season to get a look at players, I honestly think if Jackson works out he has the potential to be as good if not a lot better than Cam. Would like us to pick up a RB somewhere around 4-5th rounds, I think we might as well forget about drafting any WRs given our track record in drafting them so hopefully we can add depth and maybe a few diamonds in the rough tonight and tomorrow.

Aside from us having a good first round IMO, the Steelers had a bit of shocker. PFF had Edmunds at 126 or something on their big board talent wise. Seems a desperation pick to me, like they didn't know what to do. As for the Browns, Baker might work out or he might not but my god the Ward pick is crazy. If they had picked Chubb there they'd now be able to select Josh Jackson(hope i have that name right) at CB in the 2nd. It'd be different if Ward was considered head and shoulders above the rest of the CBs in the draft but he's not. They're such a poorly run team that makes it hard for their picks to ever be successful.

I get most of my news and information from podcasts

https://www.acast.com/movethestickswithdanieljeremiahbuckybrooks/277-lamar-jackson-360

Daniel Jeremiah & Bucky Brooks did one hour podcasts on all the top prospects and go interview coach’s from high school and college. So it’s really petty in depth. Even Mike Vick contributed for the Jackson podcast. Worth checking out to learn about our new QB

Be warned though these podcasts are a bit of a love in, you’ll hear nothing negative really.

Happy enough with how the draft is going. Two pass catching Tight ends though it seems Andrews is like Jimmy Graham in that he does zero blocking and just acts as a receiver.

Orlando Brown msy end up being a bust but he fills a need and I like the pick.

Middle linebacker, running back and maybe a defensive back/returner please :)

https://twitter.com/mlombardinfl/status/1006862023815303168?s=21

Jesus Christ, what an overreaction. At least let the kid play a down in the NFL first FFS.

Things had been going faaaaaaaaaar too smoothly given our injury record:

https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora/status/1033024471307886592?s=21

Titans trading for Kamalei Correa what's the lowdown?

• Advertisement

The Ravens held the 36th pick and traded back so the Jags got Myles Jack! :(

Drafted as a second round outside linebacker and he did nothing much his first year seeing snaps in 9 games. He played in all games in 2017 and started three.

He never succeeded at outside linebacker and 5th rounder from the same draft Matt Judon turned out to be a late round gem. Correa was moved to middle linebacker and he did ok. A serviceable player beside CJ Mosely

He lost his starting job in 2017 to an undrafted player (the Ravens are good at finding these undrafted linebackers) who is competing with our 2018 4th rounder for that job. So Correa is out

I doubt the Titans paid more than a 6th or 7th rounder for him. He is an ok player but I wouldn't say he's a starter in the league. For depth realy and he knows the Dean Pees system. Nothing to be excited about here realy. He's listed on many sites as outside linebacker, he will be a middle linebacker as coaches want to move him

If the Titans want a mobile QB to back up Mariota then RGIII is available for trade ;)

https://twitter.com/b_perriman11/status/1035651997196869632?s=21

Surely he hasn’t escaped the cut yet again?

Looking at his other tweets I don't believe it's anything to do with making the 53

He's into the whole Ray Lewis praise jesus broadcasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Not surprised Perriman was cut. He was too far down the order of receivers. They knew drafting him that his hands were weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Buffalo Bills first up this Sunday. Hopefully we can start with a win.

• Advertisement

Even if the offense is stuttery (and I suspect it will be) we really should have too much for the Bills at home.

I’d expect the defense to give Peterman and their offense a torrid time.

Can’t wait for the season to start! :)

Well, that was fun! :D

O-line were an embarrassment and the defense without Mosley looked completely lost.

Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I know Buck Allen never fumbles, and is a better blocker, but it's criminal that Harbaugh doesn't use Collins more.

3-1, won away to the Steelers, our best CB back next week, Flacco looking fit and sharp with a group of competent receivers to throw to, oh and first round pick Hayden Hurst should be back next week too.

Things are looking promising!

• Advertisement
Advertisement