Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam release dates????

Options
  • 31-12-2011 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

it really pisses me off when they tell you that a game has been released in a certain year when you know that is fabrication!
    ok for example the original GTA came out in 98 but they say 2008!!!!
    why do they do this? I can only(hesitantly) believe it when they talk about games from the last few years
    from what i can make out it is the year it was introduced to steam and not the year it was actually released
    any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah, I think it's when it was released on Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

What other truly trustworthy data would they have to hand? Steam operates in many territories, and games often have different release dates in different countries.

Adding that mess to Steam would accomplish, what, exactly? If you wanted that data you'd just look up Wikipedia or some other source anyways.

I could argue that some of these games require an extra patch or tweak so that they can be used with Steam. So, the release date could represent the release of that particular version of that particular game on Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I've noticed this as well, some games have the proper release date (say mid 90s) on them while others have very different. Meh, if you're really that fussed, just go to wiki or google. 2 further mins to check isn't going to kill you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Why does it worry or affect you at all what year a game is released ?

Advertisement