Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About the spam base

Options
  • 31-12-2011 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

In the last few days i have seen the spam base literally COME ALIVE!!

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1505

I dont think its a good idea that we encourage spammers to post there,BEFORE WE KNOW IT,THEY WILL BE POSTING ON EVERY BASE!!

I think the best thing to do is put ALL NEW USER ACCOUNTS on "moderation" status which means NO ONE BUT THE STAFF GROUP WILL SEE THIER STUFF... Staff must approve thier posts so all groups can see them UNTIL THEY ARE DEEMED OK AND ADDED TO THE REG MEMBER GROUP!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Do you know how many memeber of 'staff' there are?
    Or what the number of daily sign ups are?

It's a handful of spammers, it happens, it's been worse, there are proceedures to deal with it with out penalising new sign ups who want to take part in discussions and not have to wait until the 'staff' are working. Cos currently the staff are off over the christmas break and wont' be back until the 3rd of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Ya i know buddy :(

I just noticed they are posting outside that area,its really sad......

The way i suggested IS THE ONLY WAY to ensue no spam is posted :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dude111 wrote: »
    The way i suggested IS THE ONLY WAY to ensue no spam is posted :(

It's also a really good way to annoy new posters who want to use the site hassle-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Yes i know,its really hard........

SPAMMERS MESS THINGS UP TERRIBLY :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Already a large thread about spam attacks here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

In the last few days i have seen the spam base literally COME ALIVE!!

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1505

I dont think its a good idea that we encourage spammers to post there,BEFORE WE KNOW IT,THEY WILL BE POSTING ON EVERY BASE!!
    We don't encourage spammers to post there. You could argue that the people that reply to spam are encouraging spammers, but that forum is a spamtrap. We found that the forums in the Arts category received the most spam, and in particular, the forums starting with the letter A. So we created that forum to soak up the majority of the spam from the alphabetic spammers, and give the Mods of those fora a bit of a break. It does work, but there is still a lot of spam sitewide.
    I think the best thing to do is put ALL NEW USER ACCOUNTS on "moderation" status which means NO ONE BUT THE STAFF GROUP WILL SEE THIER STUFF... Staff must approve thier posts so all groups can see them UNTIL THEY ARE DEEMED OK AND ADDED TO THE REG MEMBER GROUP!
    I think this has been answered above, we have so many new registrations that are legitimate, it's not possible. You'll find that spammers also post apparently OK posts for their first few posts sometimes so as to fool this type of spam attack. The obvious spammers that post in the aardvark forum would be prevented, sure, but the pros of that reduction don't outweigh the cons of it.

Surprisingly, we've seen a significant drop in banned users recently! This could be down to the Christmas period, but it could just be spammers moving on or that have been raided by the COMMANDER OF THE INTERNET, who knows. I'm hoping it continues to reduce!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Gordon wrote: »
    ...or that have been raided by the COMMANDER OF THE INTERNET...

You mean Zaph?

Cool guy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Steve wrote: »
    You mean Zaph?

Cool guy. :)

I think you mean a hoopy frood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I think you mean a hoopy frood.
    No, hoopy froods are soo end of the universe.. :rolleyes:

I'll be sending the bill for commission on the new tagline :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

BEFORE WE KNOW IT,THEY WILL BE POSTING ON EVERY BASE!!

That's ok - all their base are belong to us anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Spammers: "All your base are belong to us!"

Gordon: "LOL, banned."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcApOpoNiKSnyAsIY-wmmP3umMzcjzEfE32YsKjVerjlTsY5SE

Advertisement