Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drizzle !

Options
  • 31-12-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

Is their any way of predicting/tracking drizzle ? I thought that the Shannon radar is supposed to be more sensitive but yesterday it showed no rain yet I got soaked. It's the same this morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The strength of the signal returned to the radar is proporional to the diameter of the water droplets, which in the case of drizzle is by definition <0.5 mm. This can cause areas of drizzle to be missed. Whatever about getting soaked out in it, the actual rainfall amounts measured will be minute.

Drizzle usually forms from the slow rising of airmasses, such as in warm fronts and in the warm sector. Wherever you see such a setup then expect a higher probability of drizzle, as opposed to a cold front or showers, where vertical motions are much greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The droplets may be small but they have an uncanny ability to soak in. I have just returned from a walk with three wet dogs, jacket etc.

Advertisement