Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowl for Too Much Chimney Pull.

• 31-12-2011 11:50am
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hi,

anyone know of one? Stove installed but even with damper closed the pull is major and burns too fast. Not only that but the sound can get quiet loud. I am at a very high altitude in the west of ireland with no shelter.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

eamon11 wrote: »
    hi,

anyone know of one? Stove installed but even with damper closed the pull is major and burns too fast. Not only that but the sound can get quiet loud. I am at a very high altitude in the west of ireland with no shelter.

Thanks

How about hanging a house brick (one with holes in it) into the chimney using a wire coat hanger as a hook. That'll reduce the throat of the chimney. If that's not the right size then hang something else in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Double check the stove hasn't warped and opened up a seam anywhere so its sucking in air even if the air vent is closed down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Have you matched your opening on the stove to the flue? I have a stove into a tall chimney, I had to seal the damper inlet holes with heat resistant sealer to prevent it roaring. It was not difficult in the model I have as the holes are across the top at the front. I can still adjust the draught via two screwable vents at the bottom.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks lads, appreciate the replies.

antiskeptic, did u do this? And did it work? U didnt find the brick swinging or knocking against the flue during high winds?

boards dyslexic, thants a good idea, I will check it.

nonmonotonic, the flue is a 6 inch all the up. My stove has the holes on the front too like yours. My stove is black enamel. What sealant did u use and how did the colour match up?

thanks a gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I had the same problem. My house in on an elevated and exposed site too.

Solved it with an Aerocowl. Looks aesthetic on the chimney top too.

Bought it from these guys:

http://www.kbf.ie/accessories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

cant you just try what nonmonotonic did, just put insulating tape across 1/3 of the draught holes that he was referring to, test it like that or similar, block the holes with anythings and see what happens

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks lads,

I could and will do that Jsme but I suppose the prob is bigger than that. We also have a situation where the fuel burns too fast, because of the chimney pull. If I block off these holes it just means there be only the fuel and fire to pull from hence the fuel burning even faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is it essential to install a flue when using a stove?

Advertisement