Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need the name of a part from a cistern

• 31-12-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help me, does anyone know the name of the part from a toilet cistern that connects the flush handle to valve that lets the water out? also, are they easy to source and cheap?

Looks like the one in the upstairs toilet snapped, had rusted right through, should this be handy enough to fix myself or would I need to take the whole thing apart to replace the broken piece?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Just cut and bend a wire coathanger to match the broken one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

DoneDL wrote: »
    Just cut and bend a wire coathanger to match the broken one.

Haha that's brilliant! never thought of that :o

Will give it a go, thanks a million :)

Urgh, just went to try that but it looks like the part on the valve which the wire should slide through has sunk in to the valve unit.

I'm guessing the wire that was already there had completely disintegrated.

Is there a way to push this part back out so I can slip the new wire in?

Thanks in advance.

aligator_am, there is a spring holding it down so it will be difficult to get out. Replace it with a two part flush mechanism that can be repaired without dismantling the cistern. Though you could try a self tapping screw that might be enough to get the part up so you can get the wire in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Make a long thin hook made from thin wire about 1cm wide and use it to fish the top of the plunger which has dropped down, but is just out of finger reach. A tweezers might also do. There is a threading hole in the top of plunger, to which the aforementioned hanger wire should be attached. You will need pliers to make a neat double hook with the wire. Squeeze the eyes closed to avoid it working loose again.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies folks, I've run my finger over the plunger / valve and it seems just about flush (no pun intended) with the surface, tried getting at it with a needle nosed pliers but no joy, will have a crack at it tomorrow with a tweezers and see how I fare.

Thanks again for the help and happy new year :)

Thanks for the replies folks, I've run my finger over the plunger / valve and it seems just about flush (no pun intended) with the surface, tried getting at it with a needle nosed pliers but no joy, will have a crack at it tomorrow with a tweezers and see how I fare.

Thanks again for the help and happy new year :)

same to you aligator_am, best of luck for 2012.:)

Advertisement