Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best small smartphone?

Options
  • 31-12-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking at getting a new smartphone and would prefer a smaller one. Have computers in work and at home so just need something for occasional use (email, maps & browsing). Was thinking the Samsung Galaxy Mini. Is this any good or are there any other recommendations?
    http://www.samsung.com/galaxyace/mini_overview.html

This comes with Android 2.2. Should I be looking at upgrading? :confused:

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You could have a look at the Galaxy Europa, once them 2 prats are taken off it. Easily unlocked. 600mhz processor is on the small side, but it is/was top value at €39. If Three peg back the price to the pre-prat one it will still be great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

pah wrote: »

Cheers for that but I'm looking to move to Meteor with their €15pm deal for sim-only. All I need is to pickup a phone...
    http://www.meteor.ie/bill-pay/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

How about the Galaxy Y? Comes with a slightly better processor than the Europa and comes with Android 2.3.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

How about a HTC Explorer? It has a higher screen resolution than the Galaxy Y or mini (320x480 vs 240x320 for the Galaxies). It has a lower clock speed, 600 MHz but it is a Cortex A5 vs an ARMv6 in the Galaxy Y so performance should be the same.

EDIT: This is probably a bit larger than you're looking for, but if you're willing to live with Symbian Anna/Nokia Belle then a Nokia 500 might be an option. Nokia Maps is great, browsing can be fixed with Opera Mini/Mobile and the email client is so-so. It's only on Vodafone, and it's €130 iirc. I have the C7, and it's fairly small and light, the 500 being a bit thicker and without the Gorilla Glass. And this one has a 1GHz ARM11 but no GPU, so no 3D games for this one.

At these kind of prices you're not going to get full Flash support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement