Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential Blues+Jazz for Newbie

• 31-12-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

OK people, apologies if this is a common thread that annoys people.

Can the wise ones on here recommend essential Jazz+Blues artists/albums for someone who is an extremely compendent(semi-Pro) guitarist who has recently realised that he has been playing the wrong musical style for the last 15 years:):D

I have come to realise that Jazz and blues makes my heart sing. I have been playing and gigging quite extensivley in the folk circles and also play in a Latino band. while I do not nor have I ever filter any musical styles out of my life and enjoy them all I find that the back catalogue of Jazz and Blues is so extensive it is very hard to know where to start.

So with that in mind I re-iterate my plea. Can the wise ones on here give me a good starting point within both genres?

Kindest regards
    Tortured

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Some good jazz and blues albums/artists to start with would be :

Blues :

John Mayall - The "Beano" album with Eric Clapton. (This is a "must have" in any blues collection IMO ).

Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

Buddy Guy.

Taj Mahal

Freddy, BB, and Albert King

Peter Greene (early Fleetwood Mac)

Johnny Winter

Howlin' Wolf

Muddy Waters

John Lee Hooker

Jazz :

Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue" ( This would have the same status as the Mayall album above)

John Coltrane - "A Love Supreme"

Stan Getz

"Cannonball" Adderly

Bud Powell

Bill Evans

Gil Evans

Michael Brecker

"The Jazz Crusaders"

Chet Baker

Rick Margitza

You are only scratching the surface with all of the above, but hopefully they will get you off to a good start.

Happy listening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Savage Stuff.

Thats certainly a nice list there. It will get the ball rolling and hopfully from there it will link into other areas for me.

thanks a mill.

All I need now is too start smoking, buy some bourbon and a nice 1950's telecaster and I'll be laughing:D

Savage Stuff.
    All I need now is too start smoking, buy some bourbon and a nice 1950's telecaster and I'll be laughing:D

....and find a "juke joint" to play in ! :D

The blues list I gave is generally on the more traditional side. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more contemporary blues artists/albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

If your interest is Jazz/Blues then just 1 name from me Duke Robillard he has dozens of albums and has produced countless more ,so I reckon his work should lead you in multiple directions from T Bone Walker to Joe Louis Walker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

get your hands on 'West side soul' by Magic Sam

holy ****tin hell it will make every fiber of your being rejoice!

this is the album that made me realise i was listening to the wrong stuff for years

this IS music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

..... has recently realised that he has been playing the wrong musical style for the last 15 years...I have come to realise that Jazz and blues makes my heart sing.
    Talk to me about it! I have played about every instrument over the years trying to find 'my instrument' only to recently realize that it's been the music that needed changing. D'oh! Better late than never.

Anyway a good introduction to the whole jazz thing-and it's free-is Jazz Insights available from iTunes. It's a good introduction to all the major players you should know about.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/jazz-insights-media/id405935692

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Just listen to Steely Dan and you'll be fine!

leakyboots wrote: »
    Just listen to Steely Dan and you'll be fine!

One of my favourite all time bands !! However I would not consider them to be in either the jazz or blues camps. Granted their music leans towards jazz, but IMO they would not fall into either genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Nice one lads! and ladies?

slowley getting through them now and its a pleasure. That itunes link is a real help and rigbys essentials have been a god send. I was recently talking to an double bass friend of mine and he recommended EST. Have ye ever heard of them... They blew my mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KXq6RJ0PA&feature=related

Nice one lads! and ladies?

slowley getting through them now and its a pleasure. That itunes link is a real help and rigbys essentials have been a god send. I was recently talking to an double bass friend of mine and he recommended EST. Have ye ever heard of them... They blew my mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KXq6RJ0PA&feature=related

Glad you are enjoying your new found interest in jazz and blues. There is a LOT of interesting material out there to be discovered, especially in jazz. Yes, EST are great. If I'm not mistaken, they played in Dublin a few times. When I was giving my initial list, I forget to mention our very own Louis Stewart and Richie Buckley. Shame on me.... :o

Dave Brubeck is another name I forget to mention. A lot of people who are not even interested in jazz might know "Take Five". Brubeck usually gets the credit for this number, but it was actually written by the alto player Paul Desmond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Some great recommendations so far.

As a guitarist, check out T-Bone Walker, Charlie Christian, and Wes Montgomery.
    If you're into slide, Elmore James, Hound Dog Taylor.

If you like EST, you might try Keith Jarrett and Brad Mehldau.

You should definitely check out 'Martin Scorsese Presents: The Blues', it's excellent and essential stuff. There are other really good blues and jazz docos online and on Sky Arts and BBC 4.
    'The History Of Jazz' by Ted Gioia is a great book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Some great suggestions there. If you want to see what a great jazz guitarist is capable of you could do a lot worse than check out John McLaughlin's stuff, both with Miles Davis (eg Tribute to Jack Johnson) & his own projects such as the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Our own Louis Stewart is worth a listen too, listening to tapes of him a few years ago helped get me into jazz. Another performer who I really like is this guy who is very impressive considering how young he is. Got his album "Questions" with David Lyttle a few months ago & loved it.

In blues some of the stuff that came out on Fat Possum a few years back is definitely worth exploring to give a different perspective to the more mainstream stuff. It's based on the more rural, hill country blues than the more commonly heard delta style associated with Robert Johnson & others so has a somewhat rougher & occasionally chaotic sound. RL Burnside, Robert Belfour & Junior Kimbrough would be my favourite of these, RL & Junior occasionally crossing the line into what could be considered rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

hey OP just have a gander and listen to this

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

No one mentioned any early acoustic blues recording artists so here are some names to check out

Mississippi John Hurt
    Blind Blake
    Blind Willie McTell
    Skip James
    Blind Lemon Jefferson
    Robert Johnson
    Blind Willie Johnson
    Memphis Minnie
    Charley Patton
    Victoria Spivey
    Laura Smith
    Bessie Tucker
    Bukka White
    Sonny Terry
    Brownie McGhee
    Mississippi Fred McDowell
    Son House
    Lightnin' Hopkins
    Reverend Gary Davis
    Bo Carter
    Etta Baker
    Elizabeth Cotton
    Sam Chatmon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Do yourself a favour and get listening to the Allman Brothers Band.

I think there is a misconception with some people that the Allman Brothers were a bunch of long haired hill billy rockers - not so. They were great musicians and players but, and I'm open to debate on this, they had one of the finest guitarists ever to play the instrument: Duane Allman. A slide and improvisational master. He was phenomenal playing in standard tuning also.

They played Blues, Blues Rock but they also fused elements of Jazz in there too.

Check the below links out for some examples:

Also, check out the Derek Trucks band - an absolute phenomenal talent on the guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

robert johnson and BB King are good places to start.

Clapton's "Unplugged" album is a goldmine too, its what got me playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

had a similar question to yours a while back, its more blues based but was helpful
    see link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75419394&posted=1#post75419394

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Rory Gallagher

Charlie Parker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

hay OP watch this

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1127815

part of the tv50

*sound quality is pretty bad though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Well said Keyzer, Duane Allman was a legend, and grossly underrated. I'll just leave this here...

geetar wrote: »
    robert johnson and BB King are good places to start.

Clapton's "Unplugged" album is a goldmine too, its what got me playing.

Clapton is excellent and one of my favourites but I would say dont get his Robert Johnson album though. I thought it was quite weak tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement