Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ACIDIC GRASS SILAGE

• 31-12-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

i think my silage could be too acidic and wondering what causes this.made a big effort to cut it right this year and cut in 3 cuts with a wagon and packed it very well.all grass was wilted for 24 hours or so and was cut in good conditions off good ryegrass swards with adequte time for nitrogen use.to look at it,it looks good and i am noticeing thats the face is keeping very fresh.any thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

did ya get it tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

no ,how long does it take for results to come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

about 10 days and costs around €50, money well spent or if you are with a feed compnay they might get it done for ya for free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

keep going wrote: »
    no ,how long does it take for results to come back

OP you should be able to buy pH papers on ebay.co.uk for about 5 quid and test it yourself, normal silage pH is around 4.0 so get the papers to test from 3.0 to 5.0

Is there much cuds being thrown up in the cubicles, or where cattle are lying down?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

there isnt that much cud being thrown up but a bit too if you know what i mean.i m happy enough with cows lying up considering they were not used to being housed-theres about 3 not lying up of around90 and about 40 of those are heifers .they were soft before i dosed them but the zanil/invertim combo seemed to really knock them out of their stride this year and it took them 10 days to come right after it.feeding a bale of hay every 4 or 5 days now to help as well as some acid buff.the hay is funny,you roll it out for them and they just look at itbut come back a few hours later and its gone

• Advertisement
Advertisement