Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dinner for One

• 31-12-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ever since 1963, German TV has been showing a very funny programme every year on New Year's Eve. Several other countries have since adopted the same tradition. It's all about an old lady, who always has a dinner for four of her friends, all of whom died long ago, and her faithful butler (played by Freddy Frimpton), who serves the food and drink and does the toasting for all four. In addition to his other duties ...;);)

The phrase "The same procedure as EVERY year" has entered several European languages.

It's about to begin on Finnish TV now, so I'll pour another glass of Turkish red wine and enjoy it again, at the same time as I wish all of you a Happy New Year 2012.:)

Sorry I can't embed YouTube videos, but I suppose you'll be able to view it with the aid of this link anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8k1CnVeAQ&feature=related

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Is there a discussion you'd like to start about this?

i've been told before this is hilarious and had to watch it

just not funny at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

MugMugs wrote: »

I disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Heard about this off my German colleagues during the year! They love it. It's as traditional to them as Turkey & Ham for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Ever since 1963, German TV has been showing a very funny programme every year on New Year's Eve.

Pull the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I stopped watching when he patted the tiger's head and everyone laughed and I didn't.

Happy New year to you anyway, OP. You can't please everyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...German...very funny...
    Does not compute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tradition is an odd thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, I love that one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Rape, surely.. and the laughter is most irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Ever since 1963, German TV has been showing a very funny programme every year on New Year's Eve.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. Here's watching from Seoul and I had a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

MugMugs wrote: »

No, should there be?:confused::confused:

Just wanted to share a different New Year's tradition with anyone who might be interested, but do feel free to express any views you might have.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I know a couple of German girls and they wouldn't shut up about this. Watched it on youtube with them and they were pissed off with me when I didn't find it funny...
    'ach you know that in Germany this is our tradition, all your Irish tradition is to drink'
    The Germans, a right funny bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭donadoni

Its an interesting phenomena. I am german myself and dont find it funny now, but remember looking forward to Dinner for One when I was a child, as I found it hilarious then. I'd say people like it and watch it because they liked it as children and associate it with New Years eve, an exciting day for a child, when you can stay up for much longer than usual, you can light a firework with your Dad at midnight and so on. Dinner for One has just become a part of it all and New Years Eve is still a special day for most people.

A couple of years ago I brought some irish friends of mine home to Bavaria and they thought the scenery was just like out of the Musical "The Sound of Music".
    I didn't have a clue what they were talking about and was informed that it is a movie that is being shown every year around christmas and they couldn't believe that I had never heard of it, being from there, and that it was great and I had to watch it sometime.
    I watched it and thought it was the bigest heap of crap that I have ever seen and I'd say people in the UK, Ireland and wherever else it is being shown, liked it when they were children and now associate it with christmas, an exciting and special time for everyone and Sound of Music is just a part of it. Its a bit like Pavlovs dog in both cases. :)http://psychology.about.com/od/classicalconditioning/a/pavlovs-dogs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Well I thought Dinner for One was hilarious ..... but I doubt I'd want to watch it year after year. Nor do I want to repeatedly watch The Sound of Music ... once was sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Gave it 5 mins.
    Can confirm that it is not funny, is it even trying to be?

OSI wrote: »
    I remember being forced to watch this in German class in school and finding it about as funny as anything German. ie not at all.

Your german class must have been quite a waste of time if you were watching british clips without a single german sentence in it. Did you pass the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Does anyone know is that clip originally from the BBC ?

So they tought you that the germans like to watch an english commedian on TV on New Years eve and you think you learned something about german culture and traditions?

Morlar wrote: »
    Does anyone know is that clip originally from the BBC ?

I dont think so. As far as I know it was first recorded by the german TV station NDR. Peter Frankenfeld, an influential german Entertainer from the 60 - 70 's seen it performed on stage in England, liked it and got this TV station to record it at a later stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Parts of it are mildly amusing & the actor was good at playing drunk. It seems to be more of a (good natured) caricature of the english upper class than anything else. Reminded me slightly of 'upstairs downstairs' if it was played for laughs.

Morlar wrote: »
    Parts of it are mildly amusing & the actor was good at playing drunk. It seems to be more of a (good natured) caricature of the english upper class than anything else. Reminded me slightly of 'upstairs downstairs' if it was played for laughs.

Agreed. Mildly amusing sums it up. As I said in my earlier post, I think the popularity stems from people watching it as children and associating it with an exciting time and day. And as somebody else pointed out, it would be more than sufficient to watch it once, and forget about it then. Somehow it turned into a cult over the years, not least because of that catch phrase 'Same procedure as every year?' in it,which is now being used a lot in Germany in all kinds of situations where something rather unpleasent repeats itself over and over again.

OSI wrote: »
    We watched plenty of German films and TV, read plenty of German books and magazines and listened to German radio in German class. All in an attempt to learn German culture. When we came back after the winter break the teacher thought it would be a good idea to show us what the Germans like to watch on New Years.

I don't see what your big problem is with the fact we watched this in a German class.

Oh dear no, I dont have a problem with it at all. Was just wondering what the point of it is, as much as I would have wondered what the point would have been, if my english teacher would have played Rammstein, Nenas 99 Airballoons or 'Das Boot' in my english classes, because a lot of people in the UK like it. But there.... you explained it to me, fair enough :rolleyes:

Advertisement