Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a lightweight, fast pair of shoes?

Options
  • 31-12-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Looking for a pair of shoes that are lightweight but also have a little bit of cushioning maybe for longer distances... I want them primarily for races (5k etc) as I dont think I need all the cushioning of my saucony triumphs.

Was thinking of Adidas Adizero Tempo 4...? Any thoughts on these?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

nellocono wrote: »
    Looking for a pair of shoes that are lightweight but also have a little bit of cushioning maybe for longer distances... I want them primarily for races (5k etc) as I dont think I need all the cushioning of my saucony triumphs.

Thanks
    I'm running in brooks green silence which I believe are at the light end of the scales but have enough cushioning for 20 miles plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks

Saucony Kinvaras. Perfect for both training and racing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks

I love tempo as an all rounder, raced in them once and that race was a disaster so don't like them as a racing shoe, but loads of people use them as racing flats as thats what they are.

Tempo have some support in them though whereas triumph are a neutral shoe, so I'm not sure if tempo would suit?

Saying that, I wear shoes with no support or cushioning at all and wear shoes with a small bit of support like tempo and fastwitch and have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Kinvaras it is I think... What's cheapest place to get these?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks

Tempo 4's (300+ gms) bit heavy for 5k, wouldn't call them lightweight, If you're an Adi fan - Adizero Mana (244gms) are a nice shoe with nice flexibility, if you are mechanically sound then the Adizero Pro 4 come in at 180gms - I only wear for 5k or less and they are like slippers, with great grip on greasy surfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Kinvaras it is I think... What's cheapest place to get these?

I got mine in Base2Race. All Amphibian King stores stock them. Not sure of the price, you'd probably find them cheaper somewhere online but I appreciated getting a good fitting of them before buying (got 1/2 size bigger than my Nikes).

You might also consider a pair of Nike Lunarflys. A much more bulky shoe but not much heavier than the Kinvaras- kinvaras are 220g (7.7oz), Lunarflys are 240g (8.8oz).

Lunarflys were being solf off for €50 in JJB last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Also consider the new Adidas Adizero Adios 2 which are out this month, 210g. I loved the old Adios and will be getting a pair of these. Suitable I think for up to half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

I'd recommend the Mana. I've been wearing them for training and racing (5K to half) since April.

They are a support shoe but it's quite light support. Akin to lots of people liking 2160's. The Boston is equivalent to the Tempo. A new version has just come out so you can get some good deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Are the Tempo 4's to light for running a marathon in? Got a pair at Christmas and so far nicest shoe i've run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Nope, thats what the tempos are for really as they have lots of cushioning for long distances.

If you are coming from a highly cushioned shoe, then they might feel a bit light for a while but you should get used to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

+1 On the Kinvara 2's and love them. Got them in B2R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Highly recommend the brooks st5 racers, i use them for everything now even long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Highly recommend the brooks st5 racers, i use them for everything now even long runs.

Can't knock the ST4's and very durable for a lightweight, suits if you need something a bit wider and have a nice roomy toe box.

Advertisement