Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Shotgun ?

Options
  • 31-12-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

At the moment I have 2 x .22lr's, 1x Ruger 10 22 and 1 cz 452.
    The next thing I was going to do was get a small bore shotgun, probably a 410.
    As I would only use it around the yard i thought a 410 might be the right thing to get but open to advice as i have never had one before.
    But I was talking to my local guard and his first reaction was that he did not think I would be aloud "another gun" without a very good reason.
    The main reason I would be wanting one is because i keep a good few hen's and sometimes you would get rats to deal with.
    Reading the shooting section it would seem that most shooters have at least two rifles and a shotgun.
    I only got my first license about 3 years ago, never had any problems of any sort with the Guards.
    Do you think I would get the shotgun license or am I asking to much here....
    I was also thinking of subbing the cz 452 for a Sako Quad .22lr in a couple of months and don't want to get on the wrong side of him over it.
    Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

There would be no problem with you getting another licence for a firearm as long as you have the proper security in your house, a secure gun safe and as far as I know 3 or more firearms require a garda monitored house alarm like eircom phonewatch, although I know a chap with 3 guns and just has a safe and no alarm. Your reason for requiring a shotgun license is completely fine as its for vermin control however I would not say you were using it around the yard because that sends out instant red alerts. Requiring a shotgun for vermin control such as magpies, crows, pigeons is a perfectly valid reason and you should have absolutely no problem in getting one. The only thing I would advise you to check up on is your security in your house. Whatever you do DONT say your going to be using it around the yard. As for subbing one gun for another, you are perfectly within your rights to do so as long as you are within the law of the security requirements in your home :)

Don't feel intimidated or like a criminal when approaching the guards with license issues. You pay your license fee like everyone else for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

You shouldnt have a problem. I have two rifles and a shotty and had no bother at all. You dont need to have an eircom alarm for three firearms, just an approved safe.

Just curious.... why have two .22lrs???

BTW I reckon you would have WAY more success with an air rifle and a bit of toast staked out as bait for rats. Be much better for use in a yard. Though technically your not meant to use air rifles on vermin are you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Sorry, when I said round the yard, I was meaning around the sheds for Vermin control and not going shooting out side my own property.
    Like I wound't need it for shooting out and about.
    As for the house security I have a 5 gun safe that has been looked at by the guard and it is of a approved type.
    The house has a full accredited alarm system fitted and is fully working but it's not a monitored type though.

As for the air rifles I used to have a few and would love a decent one again but they are just so expensive now, wtf happened there.

Why I have 2 .22's ?.
    The Ruger 10/22 is a totally different gun to the cz, the 10/22 is great fun to use and customize and the cz is a good accurate gun,
    I'm only thinking of subbing the cz for the Sako Quad because the quad looks like it's really good quality. ?
    I like the 22's because the ammo is still very cheap which means that you can actually shoot them most days without worrying too much about the cost,

What would be the next size up in caliber that would still have cheap enough ammo to shoot regularly, I had a cz 17 hmr but for whatever reason i never really used it that much so I traded it for the 10/22.
    If i do trade the cz, I want it to be for a gun to keep a very long time.
    As for the shooty would the 410 do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

yes a .410 would be ideal for what you are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

My grandfather had a single barrel harington richardson .410 for years.

Very mild recoil for a shotty, not very loud for a shotty.
    Ammo cheap enough, normally available in No.6 which is a good rat stopper @25 yards.

Not very powerful so will not destroy cabbage etc if you shoot birds at it.

All in all, seems like exactly what you want.

My grandfather offered it to me shortly before he died, but I had no real use for it as we stopped using grain feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Remmie 223

I have just applied for my third licence in 18 months, I explained my reason for a second rifle, The gard agreed it was a valid reason & sent in the application. I will be doing some serious postman watching next week;)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Cant offer any shotgun advise Pedro but i would suggest a .17 HMR as an option if your changing one of your .22's

And should be no prob as said getting a third licence,dont think you need any serious alarm systems up to 3 guns but easily checked

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

The .410 does sound like the perfect shotgun for what you want but if in the future you want to do abit of game shooting or clay shooting then maybe it would be worth your while looking at a 12g?? just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

OP.refer to the sticky on top of the page. Three non-restricted firearms and you're sound. 4-5 means you have to have an alarm on the ROOM where the firearms are kept. 6 or more requires a monitored alarm. But these are guidelines only. Your super my want more if he/she deems necessary. Good luck lad, happy shooting.
    LR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Thanks for all the advice everyone,
    You have convinced me to go for it now and not to be intimidated by the gaurds.

Sorry to start confusing the issue now but i have been ready a bit online and maybe that's not the best place to be looking but i want to ask you is there much difference with the 20g.
    It seems it might be a better option but then again I have no idea or actual experience so i'm probably wrong.
    I was thinking of the 410 all along but as you lot have much more experience i thought it would do no harm to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Thanks for all the advice everyone,
    You have convinced me to go for it now and not to be intimidated by the gaurds.

Sorry to start confusing the issue now but i have been ready a bit online and maybe that's not the best place to be looking but i want to ask you is there much difference with the 20g.
    It seems it might be a better option but then again I have no idea or actual experience so i'm probably wrong.
    I was thinking of the 410 all along but as you lot have much more experience i thought it would do no harm to ask.

20g is more powerful, a guy I know rough shoots with one.
    A friend of mine has a 16g bolt action mossberg which he loves for around the farm.

A neighbor has a 16g and likes it for it's milder recoil than a 12.

.410 is a very limited calibre.
    I'd go 20g or 16g if I wanted a ratter and the occasional phezzie.

Bearing in mind 12g ammo is the cheapest to feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The next thing I was going to do was get a small bore shotgun, probably a 410.

Vote 4 Pedro,
    I vote against the 410.

The fundamental firearm is the 12ga. I would get one for several reasons.

Check the local laws as I am in the States and sleeves are legal here. I cannot speak for Eire.

Manufacturers make sleeves that go into the 12ga chamber and then a smaller round is put into the sleeve: 20ga, 28ga, 410ga, 22lr, 9mm, 45acp, or whatever you want and fire away.

I cannot imagine the bullets will be too happy not being rifled. But it makes the 12ga shotgun literally able to fire anything.

Here's one that allows 410 in a 12ga.

I imagine the 410 will not pattern as well when it is fired out of the 12ga as it would out of the smaller barrel. However, the versatility outweighs the loss in my opinion.

Have you checked the prices of 410 with respect to 12ga? You may be surprised.

Also, if you pick up a Ruger Red Label, they make conversion tubes that go the length of the barrel so that you're 410 fires into a smaller barrel. They are expensive, though. Here's a set.

Another problem with the 410 is that there just isn't much shot. Shooters can become frustrated at missing and lose interest in the sport.

On the positive side, if you learn to break clay with a 410, you'll drop every bird in the field.

Lastly, I just read your post where you're leaning towards a 20, that's a nice compromise. I actually shoot clay better with my 20 than my 12. However, in the field, it's always the 12.

Finally, the smaller bore might be best for your immediate concern, however, I agree James that you'll probably want more in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A .410 bore is equivalent to 67 gauge and if I remember correctly a .44-40 rifle cartridge case.
    I would look at a 28 gauge but I would recommend a 20 gauge as it is a better value for money all around and a much more versatile cartridge.

Happy New Year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

if you want to just shoot rats around buildings a .410 is perfect a modern one can be 3" chambered and is a very effective rodent buster
    all of those sleeves adapters etc will all require a separate licence and are not worth the hassle
    a 16 bore or 20 is too much for what you want a 28 bore will be a pain to find ammo for you would be able to pick up a single .410 for peanuts if you ring around the dealers one of the troubles with 410s is they shoot along narrow string of pellets so can be awkward enough for birds and fast rabbits but for rats round buildings they are the best choice imho .if you do buy one when you are getting shells for it get the smallest shot size you can usually 7s they will give you a better pattern and will have enough puff to kill anything your after at 410 range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

landkeeper wrote: »
    if you want to just shoot rats around buildings a .410 is perfect a modern one can be 3" chambered and is a very effective rodent buster

Have to agree with landkeeper completely.
    There are a few still standing I see. :D;):)

Happy New Year

Advertisement