Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food preservation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

protein, awww yeah....

Musgravew cash and carry do real kilner preseving jars, 1/2 and 1 litre sizes, with metal ring and lid for home canning/preserving /bottling. About 2 euros and 2.30 respectively.
    Will order in as many as wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Speaking of insects, does anyone know how easy would it be to farm insects as an additional protein source?

Could it be as simple as a decent size fish tank and some grasshopper larvae?

Peetrik wrote: »
    Speaking of insects, does anyone know how easy would it be to farm insects as an additional protein source?

Could it be as simple as a decent size fish tank and some grasshopper larvae?

Why not slugs and snails... both edible, believe snails taste better though yet to take the taste test. They were after all imported as food and then escaped. Thanks to whoever thought that was a good idea. Feral snails:eek:
    But I think a chicken is your way to go protein. They will happily eat insects, slugs and snails and pop out very acceptable, well wrapped protein portions just in time for breakfast. And if they don't they make tasty protein portions themselves.:D

I'd go with snails, easy to catch a breeding population to start with, easy to feed, easy to catch. Lets face it which would you rather be trying to spear for dinner, a snail or a grasshopper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Probably grasshopper, I'v had snail a couple of times and had mixed experience with it, all in the preperation I suppose.

Obviously Chicken would be tastier, I suppose I was thinking insects would be easier to conceal, less likely to lose them to foxes/poachers, wouldnt have to keep grain for them etc

• Advertisement

Peetrik wrote: »
    Probably grasshopper, I'v had snail a couple of times and had mixed experience with it, all in the preperation I suppose.

Obviously Chicken would be tastier, I suppose I was thinking insects would be easier to conceal, less likely to lose them to foxes/poachers, wouldnt have to keep grain for them etc

Use the chickens as live bait and catch the foxes and poachers in snares. Eat them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

bonniebede wrote: »
    Use the chickens as live bait and catch the foxes and poachers in snares. Eat them too.

And don't let me ever catch you swallowing a fly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

It seems the quality of the food stored makes a difference too. This is a photo taken 3 years after buying chips from mcdonalds and kfc and storing them in identical containers.
    (not that anyone would store them of course!)
    2661143_700b_v1.jpg

It seems the quality of the food stored makes a difference too. This is a photo taken 3 years after buying chips from mcdonalds and kfc and storing them in identical containers.
    (not that anyone would store them of course!)

But 3 years after the SHTF you might be tempted to eat them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

But 3 years after the SHTF you might be tempted to eat them :pac:

Who are we kidding. 3 years after the SHTF I'd probably eat the jar!

• Advertisement

Who are we kidding. 3 years after the SHTF I'd probably eat the jar!

I heard an interesting definition of hunger once from an instructor on a survival exercie "You'll know when your really hungry, when you sit down and your arse starts nibbling at the grass".

Advertisement