Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp disused Chimney

• 31-12-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

I have had a problem with a disused chimney where 2 mantelpieces were removed (one either side). The gap was filled with blocks and plastered over, and a ventilation hole with grille was left.

Not long after the paint became damaged due to damp and mould started to grow in the attic.
    I thought this was due to rainwater coming down the chimney so in the summer I installed these caps on the offending chimney.

The problem is that the damp is still present. I have checked the vents and there is a decent amount of air being pulled up the chimney so I don't think its a ventilation problem.
    You can see from the pics I have attached the chimney is damp to touch in the attic.

The only other place where moisture could be getting in is a leak around the chimney flashing. I didn't get a chance yet to inspect from the exterior but the rafter seems damp.

186729.jpg

186730.jpg

186731.jpg

Anyway just wondering if anyone has any other advice on how to tackle this. The problem is only present on this chimney which has had the 2 mantelpieces removed, which means it must be related to this.
    Is there anything I could be missing?

Thanks,
    Dermot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Bomberman

By looking at these photos it looks like the flashing around the chimney is damaged or come away. I would check this before doing anything else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

+1 with Bomber

fires probably kept them dry

Advertisement