Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house alarm going off for 14 hours!

Options
  • 31-12-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

Well lads and ladies,I'm in an estate and someone's house alarm has now been going off constantly since midnight last night. Very annoying. What,if anything,can I do? I hope at this stage all their feckn stuff has been robbed! Its CONSTANT! No name or phone number on the alarm of the apartment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Apartment = management company = contact details for owner?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I thought most of the alarms nowadays were designed that they won't go off for longer than a half hour :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Landlord can't find management company and I've only just moved in.

Also, trust me, this is CONSTANT, does not stop only for 4/5 seconds every 20 minutes or so and then starts off again. This is ongoing since late last night. Very hard to block it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Call the Guards.
    This is a regular occurrence for them when they enter a property (without an alarm code).
    They can trace the property management company and get the alarm company to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

ive had the very same trouble myself .
    once my neighbours alarm went off for 2 weeks .
    guards couldent care less ,and because it was a privately owned house nothing could be done .
    at one stage one of the guards was that fed up hearing about it he suggested
    "wouldent it be awefull if someone opened there esb box at the side of the house and knock off the power "
    im not suggesting you do this ,but after 30 mins the battery supply on the alarm will die .
    now anything they have in there fridge will be ruined ,,but hey if there away for days on end ,it cant be that fresh anyway ,,lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

guards couldent care less ,and because it was a privately owned house nothing could be done .
    "wouldent it be awefull if someone opened there esb box at the side of the house and knock off the power "
    im not suggesting you do this ,but after 30 mins the battery supply on the alarm will die .
    now anything they have in there fridge will be ruined ,,but hey if there away for days on end ,it cant be that fresh anyway ,,lol

Shame on you and that Garda for condoning what can only be described as criminal damage.

Furthermore, there is no way of disconnecting the power from the meter outside without causing extensive damage to the system. If I found you doing that to my house then an alarm going off would be the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Their There They're.
    Please learn the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

The alarm should have gone off well after awhile. But the alarm could have been

1, Personally installed.
    2. No Name, No Address. Was installed by a non licensed installer
    3. There could be a fault with the doors/windows constantly triggering it off.
    4. Someone has a panic button.
    5. someone hit the panic button causing it to go funny

If my dad was awake i would ask him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Alarms can't be over a certain DB now without being noise pollution, that's one of the main selling point of silent alarms like eircom phonewatch.

I would call the guards to come check it out as it's probably above the limit as most are if they are anyway at all audible from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The alarms going off anyway, have a snoop around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Another suggestion is to get someone to disconnect the bell in the alarm box - it's a bit less invasive than messing with the power supply

I remember years ago when a neighbour's alarm went off, she was away for a week, and like the OP's experience, the bell rang constantly. Neighbours on the other side had a contact number for a family member, and while he didn't have the house keys, he made the decision to disconnect the bell.

It meant we didn't have to listen to the bell, but the inside buzzer continued to ring until the owner came back.

Still going strong that alarm. How many hours is that now? Think housemate rang management company today so will see what story is. Still going though. Pulsating through my brain-constant head ache. I don't want to get involved in disconnecting anything,nothing illegal! Thanks for replies though,I just hope it stops soon :-[

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the Alarm is up to EN50131 then the cut out time should be 15 minutes with a maximum of 3 re arms. That equates to a maximum of one hour regardless of the cause.
    However there is so many loopholes in the legislation this standard can can be forced onto any self installed system or even any system that is not serviced regularly.
    The Gurads may attempt to make one or 2 calls to trace the owner but that usually as much as they will do.
    Disconnecting/tampering with the power or the external bell would ammount to criminal damage, I´d imagine.

It has stopped! there is a god! Yay!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Enjoy the peace and maybe a polite note in your neighbors door.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

MugMugs wrote: »

Shame on you and that Garda for condoning what can only be described as criminal damage.

Furthermore, there is no way of disconnecting the power from the meter outside without causing extensive damage to the system. If I found you doing that to my house then an alarm going off would be the least of your worries.

Well it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment I made .
    But in fairness if your sat at home for a week with ur alarm going off
    Your hardly gonna notice someone tripping your power switch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

It takes minutes to be neighbourly and stick a contact or phone number down to avoid the above. Most of our neighbours do similar and it has the bonus effect that your neighbours would be more liable to stick the head in if the alarms goes off. I'm not sure too many would be that patient after 3 days listening to a house alarm going off constantly.

Advertisement