Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaning goldie

Options
  • 31-12-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Everything seems to have been going ok with Paul the goldie in his new tank. Well, he's eating and pooing like a champ, and is active and alert. I noticed today that he's leaning slightly to his left when at rest. A quick google gives results from 'ah, he'll be grand' to 'he's going to die'. Any ideas from you folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

at rest? do you mean lying on the stones? Is that not kind of always a bad sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He's active and swimming about grand; not a bother on him, but when he stops to rest there's a slight lean. I'm starting to think he might just be asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

is the top of the fish slanted towards the brighter side of the tank? - that can be normal, i see it at times and think its just their natural alignment with the light

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Does he lie on the bottom to rest?

Some goldfish (one of mine included) will drop to the bottom to rest, some 'sleep' floating at a 45 degree angle either head up or tail up. Some (like two others of mine) never sleep ever, just in case Food Happens and they miss it.

If he has a lean, it could be a bit of a digestive system blockage, or swimbladder issues.

What do you feed him, how much and how often?
    Your best bet if he is leaning is not feed for two days, and then feed him some cooked fresh or frozen peas (not canned). Just boil them, cool them, take off the skins, mush them up a bit and drop them in.

My big goldie started having balance problems, however after much research and an expensive trip to the vet, he had genetic polycystic kidneys, the cysts were squeezing his swimbladder and now he's in full blown dropsy and pineconing due to renal failure.
    However, he is an oranda, and they are genetically prone to all sorts of complications. That said, he's been having problems for a good few weeks now, so we still had time to attempt treatments. So no, I don't think your fish is going to die, because they usually go through a hell of a lot before they eventually keel over. He could live with a slight lean to one side for donkey's years. Friend of mine has had an upside down goldfish for 5 years now.

So try the 2 days starvation diet and then the peas, that'll clear him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah, he's either on the bottom or hovering just above it. When swimming he has no problems. I've been feeding sinking pellets so far, but have switched to floating pellets today since I couldn't find sinking ones in Seahorse. He doesn't seem too keen on them, tbh, but I think he just hasn't worked out that they're food yet. He gets fed twice a day, about 4 pellets, and I have to pretend I'm not watching him or he won't eat. He's pooing fine; a champion ****er, he is.

Sorry too hear about your oranda. People say they're just fish, but we know better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hmm, you could try soaking his food for about 20 mins before feeding, the trouble with pellets is they swell when soaked, so when the goldie eats them, they can swell in his stomach and cause constipation or infection. So I soak for 10 - 20 mins before feeding. Also try feeding him spirulina flakes a couple of times a week, or the algae wafers for plecs either.

Yeah I'm distraught about my poor oranda, complete mess. Total embarrassment. Got him when he was a tiny little baby, about an inch long, and he grew into a big 8 inch gorgeous fish. Unfortunately that's the risk with these guys.

Advertisement